Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Paper tuning results >

Paper tuning results

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tuning results

Old 08-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Paper tuning results

I stopped by a local shop today to have my bow put through it's pre-season checkup. The gentleman had me take a couple shots through paper about 8-10 ft away to check arrow flight. Both shots had a slight tear straight down approx. 1/8th of an inch. He then placed the bow vertically in a vice on his bench and proceeded to check the nock point, rest location, etc. He never used any tools for measurements he pretty much just eyeballed everything. He checked my arrows to ensure I was using the correct shafts and then handed everything back to me. He told me that everything was good and that no adjustments were needed. I asked about the slight paper tear and he told me that 1/8th" down was ideal for my setup and shooting a release.

I know he works on ALOT of bows and has years of experience tuning and shooting bows. Just wondering if I should consider getting a 2nd opinion from another shop. I'm certainly not complaining about the service I received today. In fact I was very impressed that he took the time to explain everything in detail. He also did not charge me for any of his time which was a big suprise.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paper tuning results

no need for a second opinion that little wont make any difference.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Bigpapascout. That's what I was hoping to hear. I guess I'm guilty at times of trying to make things perfect. For some reason I was having a hard time accepting anything less than a perfect bullet hole.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:55 AM

I kinda view paper tuning like bore-sighting rifle. It gets you real close but there might be some fine-tuning left.

Have you tried shooting broadheads yet? Are they grouping w/ fieldpoints?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you paper tune with field points? Are you using mechanicals? If so, I think you should probably be fine out to 30 yards. If you plan on using fixed blades, you may want to tune with them.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

And how did you determine about 1/8". That's about as close to a bullet hole as you can get without using a micrometer.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also need to point out that this is why you patronize your local guy. He spent the time and effort to check things, even explain things---at no charge. I'd have slipped him a ten spot and said "See ya later".
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried shooting broadheads yet?
I haven't shot my broadheads in about 2 weeks. I just removed my peep sight from my setup about 2 days ago. I didn't want to shoot any broadheads until I had a good chance to see how my field points were hitting. Which is about 1" higher at 20 yards.

Did you paper tune with field points? Are you using mechanicals?
Yes, I did 2 paper shots with field points. I shoot Muzzy 4 blade broadheads and plan to test/tune with them this weekend.

And how did you determine about 1/8". That's about as close to a bullet hole as you can get without using a micrometer.
My eyes were telling me it was more than 1/8" but I was going by what he had told me. I could clearly see the top 2 vanes on the paper but I could not see where the bottom vane passed through. I should have done a closer examination of the hole. However I did notice that the tear did not go beyond the point of where the bottom vane should have been.

I also need to point out that this is why you patronize your local guy. He spent the time and effort to check things, even explain things---at no charge. I'd have slipped him a ten spot and said "See ya later".
I tried but he refused to accept any money. He told me to bring him some coffee when I stop in on Monday to pickup the rest of my new arrows. LOL

Thanks for the responses guys.
-Jeramy
Old 08-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

He told me to bring him some coffee when I stop in on Monday to pickup the rest of my new arrows.
He sounds like a pretty cool guy.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you say what shop? I am in the pittsburgh area and am curious.
PM me if you don't want to post it up here.

Quick Reply: Paper tuning results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.