Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How does cable twist affect string lenght? >

How does cable twist affect string lenght?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How does cable twist affect string lenght?

Old 08-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How does cable twist affect string lenght?

My cable stretched on my bow and I went in to have it twisted. I was wondering how this affects my string length? Does string length affect brace height or ata? If so how? I thought that brining in the axels would make my string longer but it is still under-rotated. How can I tell if my string is longer than it should be? I was going to measure the draw length but I don't know if that is an exact measurment from the beginning.

Thanks for the help! -Sam
Old 08-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How does cable twist affect string lenght?

when your power harness stretches this will make your A to A longer, shorten your brace heighth (fractionally not enought to really notice), shorten your draw length and under rotate your cam.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

But how can you tell if you have string stretch? If I'm under-rotated then is it still possible to have string stretch, and I just twisted the cable so much it didn't matter?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 AM

But how can you tell if you have string stretch
Pull it off and measure it.

If your max poundage goes up - or drawlength goes up its a good sign the string has stretched.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't pull it off and measure w/o going into the shop, and I just got it paper tuned and all setup. What about measuring the drawlenght is that a precise measurment from the beginning?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

NUGE, twisting the cable does not change your string length at all. It does change cam rotation by making your drawlength longer. I think you know this and just stated things wrong. No biggie.

Here's a good way to tell if your rigging stretches. Once you get your cam set where you want it for rotation and drawlength just take a pencil and draw a line on the side of your cam where it passes through the limb. Measure brace height and ATA. Write these down and save them. Now if your string stretches you'll notice the marks on your cam will move (you'll see which way). You can always twist it back to where you had it.

Also take note of this idea. I do not replace string and cables all at one time. I will replace my string, shoot it a few hundred shots to get any stretch out of it. Then set your cam rotation according to those marks on the side of the cam. Then change the cable and do the same thing. You should then have setup that does not vary at all if you buy good strings.

Hope this helps.