Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Self service bow tuning and arrow building >

Self service bow tuning and arrow building

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Self service bow tuning and arrow building

Old 08-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Self service bow tuning and arrow building

I've always relied on various local bow shops for all of my service needs however I'm now looking into becoming completely self sufficient. I'm seeking advice on getting started with the necessary equipment. I'm not looking to open my own shop so I don't think top dollar equipment would be necessary. I figured it'd be best to seek advice before I start buying unnecessary equipment.

Would anyone be able to list some tools/gauges that I would need to get started? I'm looking to create two checklists ... one for bow tuning/service and another for arrow building/repair.

From there I can start researching individual products and go from there.

Thanks in advance!
-Jeramy
Old 08-19-2004, 08:02 PM

Default RE: Self service bow tuning and arrow building

Apple archery A-1 saw $119.00 / Apple archery Pro Hercules bow press $300.00/Pine ridge arrow inspector $25.00/Bitzenburger dial-o-fletch $65.00/Easy Eye laser Eze center tool $70.00/Pro-Chrono $100.00/ Bow scale( Draw weight ) $55.00 as you can see it is not cheap to do it yourself but this is a list of the items i have at my home and to me it was worth the money, i also build my own strings and cables and that too requires some tools .
Old 08-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

For the bow you are going to need:

- either an inexpensive full sized Apple model press or one of the more reliable portable models.

- a bow square or level kit

- some sort of center shot tuning device

- nock pliers ( even if you use a loop they come in handy at times)

- serving material

- some form of teflon or graphit lubricant

- bow string wax

- various odds and ends such as E-clips for axles, extra screws for sights, rests, etc....

As for arrow building......

- a fletching jig of some type

- an assortment of fletching

- fletching glue

- rubbing alcohol or acetone

- sandpaper

- assorted misc. parts....nocks, inserts, points, etc...

That is all I can think of for now. Hope that it helps some.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

They about covered it. If I had any advice buy the equipment you can afford at the time. DO not buy cheap then plan to upgrade even if it takes you a while. The better stuff is worth it. The righ tools make all jobs easier and more enjoyable. Good luck, I also have my own mini shop in the garage, you are going to love the convienence.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also love Kidd642's mini bow shop........very handy.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:17 AM

if you think you need an arrow saw, check out some of the diy saws around the net...very cheap, and i hear they work great...i believe washington hunter posted a pic of his diy arrow saw not to long ago. i think he said it cost him $20 for the saw...just a thought...
Old 08-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all of the help guys. That's plenty of info to get me started!

I know it's going to be an expensive endeavor but I feel it will be worth it. In then end it will be more convenient for myself and my friends/family too. I've always been one that likes to fix/tinker with things and that's largely what has me motivated. Right now my biggest need is arrow building/repair. I'll probably start there first.

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:54 AM

The average guy doesn't need to press his bow too often. In fact, the average guy doesn't work on his bow more than a couple times each year. If you're average and want to save money, there are many items you can build yourself or buy a lowend model. For a bowpress, the small portable models like the Bowmaster, are hard to beat. They work fine, though a bit slow. Best of all, you can buy one for less than $40. I made mine for about $4.00.

I happen to tune lots of friends bows, so it seems I'm always working on a bow, yet I don't own a center-shot device, a bow square, laser tuner or any of that kind of tuning tools. I get it close by eye, then put a shot or two through paper, then I group tune at various distances. I do recommend building a paper tuner. They are cheap and easy to make, and useful to "get it close". This method is quick, easy and accurate.

As for building arrows, if you're only building a few dozen each year, then any of the cheaper fletching jigs will work fine. When buying fletching, choose charefully. Most purchase 100 packs, and you want the best so you don't end up with 100's of fletches your don't want on your arrows. As for a commercial arrow saw, those are priced for bow shops. I made my own with a cheap ($19) grinder, proper cut-off wheel and wooden jig to hold it square to the arrow. I've seen other cheap commercial versions on e-bay. You'd have to make thousands of arrows to get a pay-back on a commercial model, and they work no better than my homemade one.

If you work on lots of bows, then the commercial equipment can be more easily justified, though in many cases it won't work any better - maybe just faster in some instances. In fact, I had my brother-in-law make a string jig for me and it was not only cheaper then a commercial jig, but 10 times better than any of them. A bow vise can come in handy, but is certainly not necessary and is another thing you can make. I made my own work station where the bow could be mounted horizontally (as if in an apple bow press). I mounted rollers (designed for a boat trailer) and some bungee cords to hold the bow securely. If you're a bit of a do-it-yourselfer, you can get away with a much smaller investment, still do a great job, and get some satisfaction by saving some money. The best part is that you will pay more attention to detail on your own bow, than any bow shop will. After you get good at it, you will only take your bow to a shop in an emergency situation.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input, Straightarrow.

I'm still debating on just how much to spend on a bow press. As you pointed out the average guy doesn't need to use the press very often. So I am looking for a press that will suit my needs and not break the bank. Something that can safely allow me to work on parallel limb bows such as my Patriot.

I already sketched out some ideas to make a work area and a paper tuning device. I have an area in my basement that would allow me to tune up to 15 yards. It'll be nice to have that indoors especially in the upcoming colder months.

Arrow repair is probably where I will start first since that is my biggest need at the moment. It seems like I almost always have 2 or 3 arrows that need fletching replaced. Plus I'd like to fletch a few arrows with feathers at some point.

The best part is that you will pay more attention to detail on your own bow, than any bow shop will.
That's exactly why I want to be able to do all of this.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:00 AM

sorry, jeremyk, i don't want to threadjack. i just had a question or two and thought this is a great thread to ask it, as i too am starting to put together some things so i can work on my bow...(i currently use someone else's equipment. [:'(])

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

For a bowpress, the small portable models like the Bowmaster, are hard to beat. They work fine, though a bit slow. Best of all, you can buy one for less than $40. I made mine for about $4.00.

regarding the bowmaster, can it be used to remove strings/cables, limbs, etc...? how does it work with split limb bows using the split limb brackets? finally, care to share how you made your own?

Quick Reply: Self service bow tuning and arrow building

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.