Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Golden Key Whisper Disc Rest >

Golden Key Whisper Disc Rest

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Golden Key Whisper Disc Rest

Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Spike

Default Golden Key Whisper Disc Rest

Has anybody tried this rest yet. Says it won't affect the fletching. I was wondering on results.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Golden Key Whisper Disc Rest

Below is a copy of a post I made a while back...

"I was very hesitant to take my GKF TKO off my bow... since I've been shooting soo well with it. But I figured what the he!!...
I installed the GKF whisper disk..

Installation and adjustment was about as straightforward as could be. Bolt it on.. set center shot... set arrow even w/ berger button hole... DONE!!!

Went out and w/ a few minor adjustments was shooting bullet holes again.

Total time to mount and setup rest... about 10 minutes.

One thing I noticed right away was that the rest adjustments are much easier than the original WB that I'd shot in the past. 1 screw for up/down.. and 1 for right/left. No issue w/ the rest rotating like the WB.

Once I started shooting the disk... I couldn't believe how quiet it was on the draw. The old WB and even the TKO w/ the teflon slide always made some noise during the draw w/ the CE CXLs.

I shot about 120 arrows through it w/ absolutely no signs of wear. I shot it w/ the vanes lined up.. and w/ the vanes slightly off set w/ the slots... shot the same both ways... and again NO WEAR. I don't know if there were issues w/ the original foam material or what. But if so.. it looks like they've been corrected now.

The only item I saw that could use some attention... There was no set screw to help lock the rest to the riser... like on my TKO and most of the higher end GKF rests that I've owned in the past. Would be very easy for them to rectify..

Other than that I'm completely impressed w/ this rest... and I'll be using it on my hunting bow this season.... as I'm sure many of my friends/family will be also after they see it. "

I've since put well over 1000 shots through it w/ very little wear showing. I've been shooting full helical 4" feathers through it for the last few weeks.. and they shoot great w/ no damage to the fletching. I have heard that helical vanes might have rippling to them depending on manufacturer.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

Later,
Ken Bacon
Old 08-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Golden Key Whisper Disc Rest

They are quiet to draw. The slots for the fletching clearance were not really even on the one I tried, and also on some pics that have been posted on various sites. I had either one vane making slight contact, or the other 2. I could not get all 3 vanes to pass through without getting "scuffed" some. I did not shoot the rest all that much, but accuracy seemed to be acceptable. The adjustments were similar to the Deluxe Whisker Biscuit, which admittedly is more expensive than the Disk. My testing showed about 2 fps loss in speed with the vanes aligned as best I could, and 5 fps. loss (over a TM Hunter) with the vanes purposely misaligned. My B2 Whisker Biscuit showed no speed loss at all. If you want a total containment rest that is quiet to draw and has accuracy potential for reasonably close shots, the Disk might be worth looking at. The price is pretty good. I personally went back to the Whisker Biscuit for that particular bow, but then I'm not on the GKF shooting staff either.