Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Which Mathews to buy >

Which Mathews to buy

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which Mathews to buy

Old 08-10-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Which Mathews to buy

Okay Mathews guys help me out here. I'm looking at getting a new SQ2 left over from last year or a new FX. Give me some input. I've owned a FX in the past and liked it, it shot very well for me but the SQ2 has my interest. The only thing that scares me is its short ata length. I have a 2004 Bowtech Mighty Mite I can't shoot worth a darn and is up for sale. I have to believe its the ata length. What did they sell for new? I've got one I can pick up for $450.00. Is that a decent price since its still new but discontinued. Any comments or feed back would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Greg.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:28 PM

Default RE: Which Mathews to buy

Actually yes thats a great price if new.. I own one and bought it brand new for Much more than that.. Got it in Dec 03 .. I shoot it good and i just had to go out and buy a legacy and now i like that one too.......lol.........I beleive the legacy will be my huntin rig....

But yes the SQ2 is a good shooter and is good for stand huntin or whatever,but it's up to you and how you feel about it...For myself i can shoot it but i kinda like a little longer bow i guess you could say..The legacy is 34" ata while the SQ2 is 31.....

So i guess what i'm sayin is ,if you like it and a short bow than go for it,but if you don't think you care for the shortness of it than i would not buy it cause than you may regret it later.....
Old 08-11-2004, 05:45 AM

Nobody here can tell you which you'll like better. Both are good bows in the right hands, in the right situation. It's up to you to figure out which one matches your situation and preferences best.

Good luck,
Old 08-11-2004, 05:47 AM

The SQ2 is going to be a better shooter IMO than the FX .......even with the ATA difference ! The SQ2 has a longer riser , more weight, and an inch more brace height ! It is also quieter and more vibration free (that's from shooting both) !!

As for the MM........well the SQ2 has more bh......and a little more weight (I think)......not as harsh of a cam........but it also doesn't have the speed either ! I'd probably say (in general).......for the average shooter ......the SQ2 would probably give you better results than the MM !

$450 seems like a pretty good price !!You really will have to go shoot them for yourself to tell !! Good Luck !
Old 08-11-2004, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I realize I will have to shoot them and decide for myself. If money wasn't an issue right now I know I'd go get a Legacy but the wife was out of work for 3 months. Thanks again.
Greg.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:59 AM

I apologize..........I just notice you had the new Mighty Might which is the VFT ..........I was thinking you had the older Mighty Might !!

A lot of the guys on here are saying the new one is such a good shooter........I'm kinda surprised at your results !!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:41 PM

This surprises me too. But with my FX it only took a few shots to get the pins set and I was on. This one is just all over the place. It just keeps shooting high no matter what we do. Maybe its something I'm doing. I wonder if the short ata length is part of it. I don't know alot I'm still really new at all this. I'm frustrated and am going to go back to the Mathews.
Greg.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of short bows generally either...

But I can tell ya one thing that may be causing the MM to shoot poorly for you...you most definitely have too weak of an arrow spine if your sig is up to date. You should be shooting 75/95s out of that bow at 71 pounds @ 29". 55/75s are too weak. Might wanna try a stiffer arrow before you give up. And just because an arrow bulletholes through paper (especially a singlecam) doesn't mean you have the appropriate arrow spine for best groups.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:12 PM

I need to change that in my sig. I shoot a 28" draw.
Greg.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have the FX and at 28" I'd recommend the minimax cam because it is a smoother draw than the max cam, but it will drop your peak draw weight 5lbs. Mine had heavy 73lb limbs and comes in at around 67lbs bottomed out with the minimax. The minimax cam with the smaller idler is very compact. I was in a similar situation and picked the FX as it held better for me than the SQ2. The FX is a very forgiving bow.

One other thing though is resale. The FX has poor resale value where the SQ2 seems to do better in this regard and 450 is a great buy for a new SQ2.

Quick Reply: Which Mathews to buy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.