Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Standing up in a treestand >

Standing up in a treestand

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Standing up in a treestand

Old 08-05-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Standing up in a treestand

So I've been scouting and I practice standing up when ...does are close. I'm just sitting in my treestand and it seems that animals alway know when you're moving, no matter how quiet you seem to be. I try to do it when they're behind trees but they just seem to always know. is my treestand just loud? or is it my problem?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:27 AM

Default RE: Standing up in a treestand

Practice shooting from a seated position.

There's no way for us to tell if your treestand is loud or not, that's something only you can determine. Try standing up real real slow, if this doesn't work I'd spend a lot of time shooting at a 3D target from a seated position. I practice both ways.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:32 AM

Yea why take the risk of spooking deer, if you don't have to, by standing up? I've killed a lot of deer, with my bow, and my butt never left the seat.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I sit only when I get tired. And hopefully I can see a deer (and stand up) long before it gets close enough to detect my movement.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:19 AM

Perhaps you are too low to the ground or maybe you dont have enough cover, especially back cover. Try repositioning your stand in a tree 20 feet away. I'm guessing they wont know you are there. They are smart creatures and once they know you're there, believe me, they'll check up there again.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:25 AM

Your problem might be sight, scent, or sound. We can't help with any of those. Make sure your stand and your clothes are quiet when you draw back. You might be out in the open from the deer's perspective. Put your stand up (have a buddy sit in the stand, if possible) and walk a 10, 20, and a 30 yard complete circle around your stand. You will be able to see what the deer are seeing. You might be sky lighted or too low to the ground. Try that, but not right before you hunt there due to scent problems.

Dave
Old 08-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

im only 14 but i can stand ive done it but i like to sit down once in a while
Old 08-05-2004, 11:47 AM

I SIT THE MAJORITY OF MY TIME, BUT HAVE REALLY HAD NO PROBLEM SPOOKING DEER WHILE GETTING UP TO TAKE A SHOT! I JUST MAKE SURE I BLENDIN WITH MY SURROUNDINGS! OR I AFIX BRANCHES BHIND ME TO BREAK UP MY SILHOUETTE, AND MY STANDS ARE GENERALLY 15 TO 20FT.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have yet to take a shot while sitting, I have stood up with deer as close as 5 yards, I believe there are two keys:

- stand setup, if you are in the open you are busted, I try to set my stand so that there are branches right up to the platform, even small trees blocking some shooting alleys.

- MOVE SLOW AND STEADY.

Its sudden movements that get you caught, first thing I do when I see a deer is FREEZE. Then I get control of the situation, are there more than one etc etc etc. If there deer is looking my direction or even standing still I probably won't try it. When the deer is moving you are pretty safe to move slowly, I stand and spin to get my bow off the hanger all in one long slow motion while never taking my eyes off the deer.

--Bob
Old 08-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have much experience with deer, but last year I was up on a bare tree about 15-20 ft up. A 10 pointers came by about 20 yards making a 180 degrees circle. I wasn't sitting down, but I moved my bow following him while deciding to shoot or not. After 2 to 3 minutes he was gone. He didn't even know that I was up there. So I guess it's how you move and how high your stand.

reason I didn't shoot him is because I was waiting for elks instead, but do have deer tag as well. Same season.

Quick Reply: Standing up in a treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.