Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow string prob

Old 07-22-2004, 02:40 AM

Default bow string prob

recently my bowstring frayed almost to the point of breaking. the fraying occure near the cams it dosent look like its touching anything. i had it brought to the pro shop and the res-pro said it was stretched and replaced it. i have no idea what is causing it second time it happened. maybe my arrows are severly underspined???????
Old 07-22-2004, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bow string prob

What kind of bow is it? and cam? Some of the NRG cams on PSE had a sharper spot in them (but has been corrected) and caused some string damage.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:03 AM

You may also want to check for any cam lean. I've seen particular bows have a string problem because if was coming off the cam at too steep of an angle.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:05 AM

What type string material are you using? Some string materials are more prone to fraying than others. 8125, for instance, frays more than 452+ in other words. You might want to take a look at string materials before you buy another one, to get one with less fraying properties. Be sure you keep it waxed too. This has a lot to do with string life, and the condition of your strings. Just my two cents. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown
Old 07-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like its breaking near the cam? If so, check the cam track for any nicks or burs that would cut strands, the shop should have seen/fixed this.

--Bob
Old 07-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you check cam lean?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:42 PM

nuge,
best way is draw board, level and laser.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of quick checks for cam lean are as follows: Hold the bow in front of you and eyeball down the string lengthwise. If the cam is leaning it should be quite evident in that the string will take a bend as it leaves the cam. Another way is to lay a straight edge along the side of the cam and see if it parallels the string. Most single cams have some lean in them due to the torque created by the cable guard. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it as there is no yoke to twist up to align it. Some bows are quite bad in fact. Of course this pertains to single cams. It also makes the bows hard to tune as it creates sideways string oscillation on the shot, giving right/left tears through paper

There is a good article on Spot Hogg's website about this and the problems it creates. It's listed in their letters section.