Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 what would you do? help >

what would you do? help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what would you do? help

Old 07-20-2004, 04:09 PM

Default what would you do? help

i was out back shooting today when, at full draw, i heard a 'tick' from the bottom of my bow. not too loud, but not quiet. i let the arrow loose and examined my 2004 patriot s/c's bottom limb. ouch! botom limb has a crack. this is the 3rd set of limbs that has cracked on this bow. its a 70lb set of limbs, set at about 68lbs. haven't even pressed this set. i'm, well, depressed is the right word, but throw in a tablespoon of pi$$ed off also. i've called the shop and will take it in tomorrow. he said he'd send it to bowtech, and has already called them about it. i feel like demanding, in a nice way, a brand new bow. something must be wrong with this one, either with the limb pockets, or the riser, or something. what do you think i should do? what would you do if it was you and so close to hunting season. i'm across the country from bowtech, about as far as you can get, and not getting it back for 3 weeks would be terrible so close to hunting season. and the way things are going timing wise, if they send this bow back the new limbs will probably break right in the middle of season.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:20 PM

Default RE: what would you do? help

First off that sucks. Now a few questions.

1. are you shooting too light of an arrow?
2. has the shop been putting the bow in a press that could be damaging it? When it was reapired before you may not have seen what they did.
3. could you have somehow have hit the limb on something?

Bowtech will stand behind the bow 110%. I have not heard of any limb problems with Bowtechs bows. Every once in a while it will happen but it sounds like something else is going on. Wjem I used to work for a Pro Shop I saw a number of failed limbs from various companies. If the customer kept having problems (more than 1 set of limbs in less than 6 months) it was usually a couple fo things. Mostly too light of an arrow, leaving the bow in a hot car, altering the bow so it was out of specifications.

Once again sorry about your luck & I wish you good luck on getting corrected. I'm not saying it's your fault but expect your dealer/Bowtech to start asking some of the same things I mentioned.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM

no, not too light. i shoot gt 75/95's. i think they are 7.9 gpi. shop has 2 different nice apple presses, been in business a loooong time, and sold and worked on lots of bows. rated in top 5 shops in north carolina. haven't hit the limb on anything. i haven't done anything to them, or the bow. it hangs in a nice shaded room here in the mountains. only goes in the car if i'm taking it to the shop. i hunt out the back door. i take good care of it. i'm happy to have anyone inspect it and show me what i did to it. i certainly wouldn't do it again, but don't believe i've done anything at all that would cause this. there is a chance something ain't right with it. no?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:01 PM

Yes the bow could have something wrong with it. Limbs can go bad & sometimes a bad bunch may even come into the factory without them knowing. I would have the dealer send the bow back to Bowtech. Generally in these types of situations they will more than glad to perfrom the warranty in the factory. I can't speak for Bowtech but Ihave seen other companies do it.

Good luck, Bowtech Shooter should be on here soon & he will be able to help you out.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gibblet! if this is the 3rd set of limb's you've gone through I'd almost think that there's something wrong with the riser or limb pocket's. What's the chance of getting 3 bad set's of limb's?very low, I would think.I feel your pain ,but I have a new 04 Patriot Dually and have no problem's at all. I know the limb's are different on these 2 bow's but this is the first I've heard of anyone with limb problem's from a BowTech product . I agree BowTech is a top of the line company and I'm sure Pat and BowTech will bend over backwards {110% for sure}to get you up and running for hunting season. But I'd definetly mention it to them anyway's.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Something is very very odd?.........I have heard of one limb cracking (which happens now and then with any limbs) and one complete failure due to a shop installing the limbs incorrectly, but never heard of anyone with 3 sets of limbs cracking.

You said the last set wasn't even pressed yet? They HAD TO be. You can't install limbs without a bowpress and pressing the bow.
Just from a casual standpoint I would immediately look at how the dealer/yourself is pressing this bow. These are NOT easy bows to press. In fact they are probably the HARDEST to do correctly especially without the right press. So much so that Apple has designed a press specifically for VFT style bows.
PRessed incorrectly can put too much stress in certain areas of the limb causing potential problems.
An indication of this would be the limb cracking in a similar area each time?

Talk to your dealer first and see what he says.........or call BowTech and explain the problem thoroughly.
You may want to have your dealer strip the bow down as well and measure the riser and pockets against another model to eliminate something else that might be stressing the limbs such as a bent riser. If all is well with the riser and pockets I would suspect the way the bow is being pressed........3 sets of limbs don't just crack for no reason.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:51 PM

i think the middle set may have been bad. they started de-laminating on the bottom edges after maybe 50 shots and it just kept creeping toward the limb pocket, gathering more and more limb material on the way - but still not much. this set cracked about 2.5 inches from the limb bolt pretty close to the center and running parallel with the limb. the shop owner backed this pair out 1/4 turn each before giving me the bow and said it should help them last. its hard to believe its not my fault, but i really can't think of anything i've done, really. i sure hope bowtech will stand by their product, and that has been my experience, or help me figure out what i may have done to cause this so i don't do it again. if it doesn't look like i did it do you think i would be going to far to ask them for a new bow? at this point, if its not me caused, i really feel like i should just have it replaced.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:59 PM

well of course he pressed the bow to get the string on it. i'm saying i haven't pressed this set. i did press the last set, using wwag's press. but i didn't press it much, just enough to get the peep out. when i pressed it i had a support, or bar, under the cam, under the idler wheel, and on the inside where the limbs meet the pocket, just like in the picture.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

the shop owner backed this pair out 1/4 turn each before giving me the bow and said it should help them last.
You should never shoot a bow with cracked limbs. I'm very suprised the owner said that.[:@]
if it doesn't look like i did it do you think i would be going to far to ask them for a new bow?
I would have no problem asking for a new bow after all of this mess.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gibblet,
BowTech has terrific customer service......
Warranty stuff should be handled by the dealer, but obviously if you keep losing limbs there is something more at work here and I would be a bit leary of the guy who worked on that bow. You had delaminating limbs and the guy backed the bolts off and gave you the bow back to shoot like that?[:-]
Did you notice the other sets cracking after the bow was serviced or string stuff installed that required pressing? I'm telling you , an out of spec press can be a KILLER on bows. Most good shops like Len's for instance will not use a worn out press........they have a lifespan and once they get sloppy, your BOW is gonna get sloppy and they should be replaced. BowTech is constantly renewing their factory presses to ensure that bows are not stressed incorrectly.
I would call BowTech directly tell them you have a very odd warranty issue and explain exactly what has gone on with this bow and listen to what they recommend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.