Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Great article on Broadhead sharpness >

Great article on Broadhead sharpness

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Great article on Broadhead sharpness

Old 07-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Great article on Broadhead sharpness

Posted by Derbytown over at AT-

http://www.buckmasters.com/Buckmaste...arpFactor.html

I'm thinking about emailing this to Rocket...
Old 07-08-2004, 06:14 PM

Default RE: Great article on Broadhead sharpness

Man, that was a good article. I've never heard it explained that way, but it sure makes sense. May have to give that a try this year.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:47 PM

I have seen white-tailed deer survive center lung shots, and in one case, even a center heart shot, because the broadheads used weren’t shaving sharp. You may think that I’m assuming that those heart- and lung-shot deer survived, but I’m not. In the case of the center lung-shot animal, it was killed by an automobile two years after it was shot through the lungs with a dull broadhead. The broadhead and 10 inches of the shaft were still in the buck, positioned right in the center of his lungs. His wound had healed completely, and he seemed to be in otherwise perfect health when the car hit and killed him. He was butterball fat, too. The heart-shot doe was shot later by a rifle hunter, also two years after an arrow passed through the center of her heart. She too was healthy and fat, showing no evidence of ills due to the 6-inch section of aluminum shaft still in the center of her heart. In both cases, dull broadheads failed to do their jobs. There was minimal hemorrhaging, and both animals survived. Shot placement is critical in bowhunting, but unless your broadhead is shaving sharp, a perfectly placed arrow may not get the job done.
I call bullsh[]t on both scenarios..............

Maybe the double lunger - but NOT the center punched heart................Sorry
Old 07-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Would that mean that an expandable just scares the living sh!t out of a deer causing them to run further?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:51 PM

I agree good article and you should never take for granted that factory blades are sharp. I personally don't like mech's. But does anyone know of a comparison between the cut on contact broadheads, fixed, and I guess the mech's. I'am talking about studies that when it comes deer bleeding out without being aware that they been hit.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I argee with Rack , on the 2 senarios , but there is merit to the rest of what this guy says . I to have shot an animal with a scary sharp magnus , at 10 yards ,and wondered if I missed , because all it did was lift its head , and keep walking slowly , for about 10 yards that is , where it layed down and died . Perfect double lung shot .
Old 07-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

I'm thinking about emailing this to Rocket...
You'd get more response if you sent it to a hammer.

Love the heads, but Rocket, IME is not a very "friendly" company. I've seen some return emails they have sent to folks, and they were downright rude. [:@]
Old 07-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Photo: The Stirling Sharpener, the author’s favorite device for establishing the angle of the blade (21 degrees per side, 42 degrees overall), is the first tool used in his three-step sharpening process
21 degrees?????, he must be crazy, I've heard of guys here on the board who can get their three bladed broadheads sharp enough by just using a flat stone or file hitting two blades at a time.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

In the case of the center lung-shot animal, it was killed by an automobile two years after it was shot through the lungs with a dull broadhead.
OK, I'll call BS on that one for you Rack.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:27 AM

Would that mean that an expandable just scares the living sh!t out of a deer causing them to run further?
3 out of six of the deer I took with 3 blade swing open mechanicals walked away with little idea of what happened to them.

So I would say they do not "scare" deer into running further

Quick Reply: Great article on Broadhead sharpness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.