Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not? >

Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Old 07-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Sorry if the title is too much [&:]..I just remembered this old movie called Amazon Women on the Moon that was done by the guys who did Kentucky Fried Movie, and there was this "skit" based on Ripleys Believe it or Not...but...I digress

Anyhoo...plain and simple...

For compound shooters with a release..do you think BareShaft tuning has merit..or is the BS tuning, BS?

discuss

title is fine now
Old 07-05-2004, 05:17 PM

Default RE: Bare Shaft Tuning...Bull$hit or Not?

I really like bare shaft tuning. Its showing that all the energy is being drivin into the shaft and not wasted by a crooked release. Plus, with your bare shaft shooting the same as fletched, in theary it would mean less liklihood of windplaning cause your not so much relying on feathers for steering, but more for stability. Thats my two cents anyways.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:23 PM

I feel it does have some merit. I use it as a starting point to determine the correct spine through paper and adjust poundage and or tip weight. Then paper tune with a fletched arrow, then group tune.I find for me it speeds the process of the following tuning process. As with all methods of tuning i wouldnt just rely on one and settle with it. I feel it just another tool towards supertuning.IMHO
Old 07-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've done it for release shooting and I don't see any reason it can't work at least as well as paper tuning. Only problem is, most people don't do bareshaft tuning correctly. Just stripping the fletches off and shooting the thing is WrOnG!

Stripping off the fletches not only removes the steerage, it also changes your FOC. If you're shooting vanes on your fletched arrows, it changes FOC BIG TIME! To keep the FOC consistant with your fletched arrows, you gotta wrap some duct tape around the nock end of the shaft. How much depends on how much weight you gotta make up.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also use it for fine tuning my bows. Or should I say micro-tuning. While many guys paper tune I consider it a waste of time. Don't get me wrong. Any tuning is better than none, but paper is just getting the rough edges out of the arrow flight. I can do that with my eyeballs with the initial mounting of rest and such. But when I start playing with the bare shaft a lot of inconsistencies can show up. It's just plain fun to "outsmart" this thing. When I get a bare shaft flying into a 3" bullseye at 35 yards, and all I see going is a nock, then I have things pretty well in hand. I can expect target points and broadheads to shoot to the same point. And it usually works that way. Makes for a very forgiving setup and sure shows me if my form is off on that particular day.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:39 PM

IMO i think it may have very little merit. It may help in the tuning process, but when you add fletching you may have to retune, or move the rest or nock point and that may possibly mess up the bare shaft tuning. It just seems like a waste of time. This is just my opinion, so be easy on me because I think alot of people will disagree
Old 07-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

it has merit for some to others it is BS
Old 07-05-2004, 06:01 PM

Don't do it with aluminum shafts and shoot into a solid target,,, you'll have bent arrows if they aren't flying perfect to begin with[:@]
Old 07-05-2004, 06:12 PM

Stripping off the fletches not only removes the steerage, it also changes your FOC. If you're shooting vanes on your fletched arrows, it changes FOC BIG TIME!
I disagree - most bare shaft tuning is done at 20 yds. FOC IMO will have little impact on flight and point of impact.

I do it - I like it. it will get you real close for the most part. If your form is not good or are struggling with consistancy it may be a futile project. But when done correctly it will get you close.

Of course the final tune IMO should be with fletched broadhead tiped arrows - then just tweak to get it dead on.

bare shaft IMO gives you a much better reading than fletched through paper (wich is IMO a very general description of tune)
Old 07-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

I believe it has merit. As for paper tuning...........I rarely get bullet holes. I admit to not having good as form as I would like, therefore I tune to my form if that makes any sense, because it provides more consistentcy for me. Not that I don't try to improve my form, but I want my bow to shoot the best for me.

bare shaft IMO gives you a much better reading than fletched through paper (wich is IMO a very general description of tune)
I agree.

By the way, my final tuning process is tiller tuning, and that always seems to shrink my groups to the best of my ability.

Quick Reply: Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.