Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Anyone using a glove release? >

Anyone using a glove release?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anyone using a glove release?

Old 07-03-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Anyone using a glove release?

hi all,
(((my G key is sticking and not working all the time so please ignore typo's)))

after being frustrated with my wrist style mechanical release for too long I decided to try a glove style one. I switched from finger shooting for 10 years to a release, and it felt like my hand was about to pop off as I was pullin the strin back. I could pull the string back about 100x with my finers, hold it for 5 minutes . . . but after pulling back once with a release I couldn't pull back the second time. I detuned my bow from the factory settin of about 61lbs to 56lbs and still had the problem. I read that usin the glove type may help, because there's something to hold onto. I can pull back 63-65 lbs max w/o a release. I picked up the tru fire x-caliper bear paw glove release for under $30 at walmart.

Am I on the right track? Are there any suggestions as to using it? ie: does my hand hold it up and down like holding a handgun with the trigger to the right side, or do I turn my hand sideways with the trigger still pointed sideways?

Thanks,
p man
Old 07-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone using a glove release?

when i use my release i always try to keep the trigger lined up with my hand. it is easier for me to keep everything lined up and the trigger pointed right parallel to the ground than turning my wrist like i am shooting w/out a release. if you turn your wrist, you make a longer reach that way to pull the trigger
Old 07-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I feel the same way that you do. It is far more comfortable to shoot with a glove than a wrist strap. I use the Tru Fire hurricane release and will never go back to a wrist strap release.

However I would reccomend that you return the x-caliper and spend the extra money on the hurricane. I have used both and the hurricane is much smoother than the x-caliper, has shorter jaws, and the jaws stay closed on their own so you don't have to think about closing them yourself.

When you draw the bow with it on you will see there is a natural place for your hand to sit. My hand is horrizontal with my palm down and the trigger is pointed away from my face also horrizontal.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:18 PM

thanks guys,

I've had it with this keyboard, and will probably use it for a shotgun target!

The Winn ones are nice, a bit expensive for me right now, wedding and grad school to pay for (wink wink, need new arrows!!!) I do have a question about the shorter ones like the c1o and the hurricane. Does the bottom of the trigger not get caught on your middle finger knuckle?

do you use a loop with it or attach directly to the string? If my release is a bit longer, is it best to attach to the string directly?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Guys I have shot the Bear pawor something from true fire. It was a good release but I drew back on a nice big Tom. Well to save my serving I put on a metal d loop. When I inserted the release into the d loop the TOM herd it and was gone. The next day I bought a winn SS caliper and had my pro put me on a loop string.

I have been shooting winns for years and think they ar the greates release ever made. When I switched from fingers to release in the early 1990's it was so natural with that release, I went back to it. Until they reinvent the release this is the one I am sticking with.

The SS caliper is so simple with nothing other than loss that can happen to it. all this release is is a single moving jaw and the trigger has a notch cut out of it that slides over the jaw when you load it. Pressure on the string holds it closed. When fired the trigger simplly slides off of the jaw.

Although I would like to try there relaxed trigger sometime, maybe when I have a strickly target 3 d bow.

The true ball glove releases are good releases. They made me change my mind when I went to buy a Winn. But now nothing but Winn for me.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

The trufire bear paw is a direct copy of a winn release... I assume that they must be paying winn some $$$ for it... if it's not made by winn for trufire.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 3D Comp and bowhunt with the Winn Free Flight C10 Glove Release and have done so for many years. I went to it after having wrist surgery and was unable to use a wrist strap release and since I had some tendon and growth removed from my wrist I wasnt able to pull back as much pondage anymore. I was drawn to the release by its claim to make you feel like you are pulling back 10% less poundage than you really are ..... and its true... I can now pull back 65lbs with the glove release.
I have shot it off the string with great results and I also find it works very well with a string loop even though it wasnt designed for loop shooting... yes it takes a bit of time to learn and perfect loading and locking it on a loop but now its like a reflex. Shooting it off a loop will lengthen your draw lenght just a bit. But with the short head on the release it keeps the head in close to the hand. The head does have a bit of free play for rotation that I am able anchor with my hand basicly horizontal but with the pinky raised just a bit to the sky and the thumb down and off the face.
I dont hold the release at full draw, I relax the fingers and let them hang and use the back muscles to basicly shoot it as much back tension as possible, dont go punching that trigger[:@] The glove is a great investment and when it wear out you dont have to buy a new release you can just order a new glove and put the head on the new glove yourself. And when the velcro starts to wear out you can buy replacement velcro at the sewing store and a sewing machine leather needle to replace the worn out velco after many years of use.
I have been successful in winning in the money at the ASA PRO/AM's, winning the ASA Illinois ASA State Championship 2003, Winning ASA Illinois State Qualifiers, Shooting Indoor 300 rounds, and many other 3D Comp while using the Winn Free Flight Glove Releases and have harvested Bucks, Does, Coons, Possums etc shooting the Winn Glove.... I missed the flippen turkey last year.
Its a well made release , and if you want to use it for hunting make sure to spray it with scent killer, it being leather in your hand it will absorb some body odors.

I am playing around with the T.R.U Ball Chappy Boss Release but havent been able to develope a consistant anchor point with it yet so I keep on going back to my old favorite the Winn Free Flight Glove Release.
If you try one you may be very happy with it, I have seen many a finger shooter make the switch to it and be very satisfied with it.
To me shooting a Winn is a WINN WINN SITUATION
Good luck and I hope you find the right release for you.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

The bear paw is not that great of a release. It just uses a notch cut into the trigger to operate the jaws and is not exactly smooth. The hurricane uses a spring behind the trigger to keep it pushed forward and it has a bearing of some kind that forces the jaws closed. Very similar to the way the Tru Ball releases operate. This creates a very smooth trigger pull and it is also adjustable for pre creep.

The Winn rope release is also another great release for using with a string loop. They are just hard to find in your local store. Most of them carry the C-10 & 12 and the stainless caliper.

I use a string loop with mine and my knuckle does not get in the way at all. I much prefer the shorter head of the hurricane. I will also never attach my release directly to the string. There are far to many benefits of a string loop not to use one. IMO.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:29 PM

I've used the tru-fire bear paw with a string loop for several years now and have found it to be a very reliable and
smooth release. It has yet to fail to operate perfectly each and every time. Like some of the others, I would highly
recommend a string loop to save your serving.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:04 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Like Lady Forge, I went to a glove release due to wrist problems. Tried every glove brand out there (TrueFire, Trueball, etc.) and am happiest with the Winn Loop Hook model. In fact, I've shot the best field archery scores with it, even better than with my fancy $150 target releases!

The Winn is firm, whereas the TruBall and TruFires felt spongy and harder to hang on to (like wet noodles). The Winns also pull the string closer to your face, which gives a longer power stroke and resultant increase in kinetic energy.

The Winn SS is fine for targets, but during the stress of a hunting situation you might forget to "safety" it (holding the trigger forward as you draw), which is why I prefer their other models.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a glove release?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.