Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Back Tension Release & Glass Jaw >

Back Tension Release & Glass Jaw

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Back Tension Release & Glass Jaw

Old 06-23-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Back Tension Release & Glass Jaw

Name a back tension release on the market for those of us that don't want to get punched out. I'd like to try one to see what I'm missing[8D]
Old 06-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Back Tension Release & Glass Jaw

I would suggest one with a safety.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't remember the name, but Carter has a new one that can be set for thumb trigger or pure back tension.

Best bet is to get a catcher's mask
Old 06-23-2004, 01:33 PM

The one from carter that be set set as either a trigger or pure BT is the Solution 3. I tried it and didn't care for it, as I prefer a deep grip, and that one doesn't allow for it the best.

For pure BT, I would recommend the carter solution 2.5. It has a safety and is very nice. If you care to shoot a trigger release with BT, then I would recommend the carter chocolate addiciton. One of the few trigger releases that you can adjust the trigger tension independently of the travel. You can also change the springs on it easily for more or less break.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:04 PM

Zenith has one that can be set up so that it won't fire at all. The cam is round. It has a notch that clicks when the shot would have gone off. Once you get comfortable with that you can move to the clicker cam that gives a click just before the shot fires. Then it has a third cam that is a pure backtension surprise release.

It also comes with a video that shows you how to put it together and a little about shooting back tension. The video is a start, but I needed a lot more help to learn to use back tension effectively.

http://www.zenitharchery.com/index.html

Joe, the owner is a great guy. He answered a couple of questions right away for me when I was just starting.

Good Luck,
Allen
Old 06-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

WWAG.....I would also suggest the Zenith starter kit.

While the Zenith is a pure BT release, it is quite easy to draw without punching yourself out. I have owned a couple of BT releases with safteys and a couple without and have the following observation.

Every BT release with a saftey I have hit myself in the face at least twice. With the pure BT releases, not a single time.

With a pure BT release, if you draw it properly (the Zenith video will show you how), it will NEVER go off when you don't want it to. With the saftey types, you are counting on the mechanical saftey to ensure the release will not go off.

Also, don't bother with the clicker. If you truly want to shoot the release and get that totally suprise release, a smooth cam that allows the release to go off without making any noise is the ticket. The click before firing causes many people to anticipate the shot and end up punching it anyway.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:20 PM

The Zenith might be a good idea. I traded a guy for a Scott Longhorn 3. No safety and took a few minutes to figure out. It is all how you hold and draw the bow. With all pressure on your thumb and pointer finger, it is almost impossible to misfire. I can even let down with no issues. I had to really think about it as I drew at first, but after a few sessions, I don't even think about it any more. Auto pilot baby.....now, if I could just start producing the consistant realease and results......but that is a whole different discussion. I have put the back tension away until after hunting season, but I will pick it up this winter and put away the trigger release for several months.

JMAC
Old 06-23-2004, 02:29 PM

Go with Zenith and get the full cam.

Joe B is a great guy - He is the type to let strangers into his house and shoot in his basement just to show em how to use it.

He lives very close to me - and goes out of his way to help myself and everyone I send to him.

Forget the safety - Its not needed once you learn what to do - Also it adds another interuption to what should be a smooth effortless routine for BT.

Also forget the clicker - do it right
Old 06-23-2004, 03:26 PM

Russell,

I agree with the non safety suggestions. You can shoot it off of a string until you understand how things work. I think you have been at this long enough to single out your release and concentrate on doing it properly, the rest of your sequence is second nature. Once you get the BT release to be second nature (subconcious), all you'll have to think about is the spot you want to hit. Give it a while though, it probably won't happen overnight.

I have yet to prefire one and have never used a safety. It did however, scare the poo out of me there for a while.

As for which one, there are many great hooks out there and nothing feels better (to me) in the hand than a nice rotation release. I have a Trutension and a Longhorn (both 4 finger) and they are incredibly comfortable to use. They all work pretty much the same so you'll just have to figure out which ones feel the best in your hand. Big shoots where the manufacturers set up booths are the best places I know of to try several of them.

Have fun with it!

-Chief
Old 06-24-2004, 12:01 AM

Thanks guys[8D] Lots of good info coming in and the wheels are starting to turn I didn't think of shooting it off a separate string[&:] that makes a lot of sence and will prevent going to the dentist too often[:@]. I'm looking in the Lancaster Archery catalog as I read this I'd really like to get aggressive on my target panic but I'll be hunting very soon so I'll probably get one just to "play" with a separate string. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Back Tension Release & Glass Jaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.