Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 need advice on arrows...grains per inch >

need advice on arrows...grains per inch

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

need advice on arrows...grains per inch

Old 06-22-2004, 11:55 PM

Default need advice on arrows...grains per inch

i'm still new at bowhunting so bare with me.......i'm getting some red head carbon supreme arrows.......i have 27 draw length back last bow season....my bow is set at 56 pound........what grain per inch do i need to get on my arrows.........they have three sizes shaft size 150...grains per inch 8.4...........shaft size 250 ...grains per inch 9.5.............shaft size 350......grains per inch 10.7 what arrow do i need to get........i'm going to be shooting 100 grain broadheads..........need help.........
Old 06-23-2004, 05:45 AM

Default RE: need advice on arrows...grains per inch

I don't know how that arrow's spine relates to your bow, but I alway try to get at least a 10% F.O.C. with a slightly stiff arrow. If your F.O.C. is too low, you can increase it by, using lighter fletching (feathers), heavier broadheads (this will reduce spine), or shorten your arrows (this will increase spine).
Old 06-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The chart at the bottom of the page (I assume you're looking them up in the catalog) shows size 250 for your draw weight and length.

I hope you noticed the arrows come a full 32 1/2" long. You have to get them cut to length yourself.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:26 AM

i have a 27 in draw also and i am currently shooting goldtip xts at 26 1/2 in at about 63 lbs and they fly great. they are 8.2 grns per in. im using 4in vanes(3 fletch) with a 100 grn tip and my foc is about 11.75.now if i shot 3 fletch feathers it would be over 13 so i would have to go with like a 75 grn tip or add a arrow wrap first to get to 8---12.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think Arthur nailed it. The 250s sound right. As for grains per inch....that does not necessarily come into play in terms of getting the right arrow to tune out of your bow. Spine is more of an issue with that. What it does come into play with is your minimum grains per pound ratio for your setup. Considering your setup though and the grains per inch of those arrows I do not think it will be close to posing a problem.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:47 PM

the 250's .......27 draw,56 pound................i shoot 100 grain muzzys...3 blades.....so this could be a good setup.......or could i go with a smaller broadhead......the vanes will be 4" offset vanes......i like the 100 grain muzzys.....advice......
Old 06-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are talking about 'smaller' in terms of weight then I would say "no". 100 grains should be fine. If you are talking cutting diameter then I do not see the need there either. Muzzys are right at or around 1 inch which should not pose a problem in either tuning or size of wound.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am no expert, but was told a general rule to grains is; 5 grains per every pound you are pulling. Example is 60 LBS on your draw X 5 grains per pound would be 300 grains total arrow weight, with tip. My AR sugests 6 grains per LBS by the AR company. Good luck
Old 06-29-2004, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

AR, that 5 grains per pound is not a general rule. The 6 grains per pound AR states is not a general rule. Those are MINIMUM arrow weights the companies will warrant their bows to shoot without blowing up.

If I had my way, there would be a legal minimum arrow weight of 400 grains for hunting game up to the size of elk.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

bobcat 10, I just have to say that for a young guy, you ask a lot of good questions here and you seem genuinely concerned about a lot of different aspects of archery and hunting. I can forsee you being an great archer and hunter. Keep with it!

Quick Reply: need advice on arrows...grains per inch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.