Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New to Archery and have a few Q's >

New to Archery and have a few Q's

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to Archery and have a few Q's

Old 06-22-2004, 10:48 AM

Default New to Archery and have a few Q's

I have been doing some reading, both on this site and a few others.
I have seen and read about different nock's, super nock, 3D super nock, conventional nock.... What is the differance?
Is a peep sight really needed?
When you buy a release do you need to know whether you will be shooting from the string or from a string loop? If so what is the differance between the two release's?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to Archery and have a few Q's

I would suggest using a peep sight for a beginner archer. Maybe even a kiss button.

A convential nock basically is glued to the shaft and does not allow for any further adjustment once it has benn glued. Nothing at all wrong or bad about it.
The other types of nocks that you mentioned usually fit inside a bushing which is inside a shaft, or sits directly inside the shaft. The difference between these and the convential nocks is that you can actually turn and adjust them. They are set in only by friction, not glue.

As far as the release goes, there are a lot to choose from. You would have to look at the individual release head to determine if would work off the string or with a loop. A talon type head (truBall) works with a rope or a loop, but wouldn't be suggested of the string. Some releases can work with both a loop or off the string. If you are new to archery, you may want to try to find one like that.