Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 looking for your advice on new bow >

looking for your advice on new bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

looking for your advice on new bow

Old 06-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default looking for your advice on new bow

I'm about to go shopping. I want a bow for hunting only. I want something with a little pop. I only draw 27". I currently shoot a Mathews Feathermax. I'm not up on whats out there, can you guys give me a few that you think I should shoot. Thanks
Old 06-15-2004, 03:44 PM

Default RE: looking for your advice on new bow

If you like shortbows, take a look at Mathews' Outback and Hoyts Razortec. If I had the money for a new one, it wpuld be one of those.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:58 PM

Dont forget to check out the bowtechs.The mightymite or justice vft will make great treestand or groundblind bows with their short ata length.I have the justice and love it.It is one sweet shooter.Make sure you try the patriot I did and now i gotta have one of them as well as soon as I get some cash.I love the justice just isnt quite as fast as I would like with my 27" draw.The mightymite or patriot will have all the pop you need though.Have fun shoppin!
Old 06-15-2004, 04:28 PM

Since I am still in love with my bow, I will recommed the shorter version the Diamond Back VX. Its about $600, slightly cheaper than the other two, and its not the parallel limb design if you opt to shy away from that type of bow. The brace height is also a bit larger at 8", although I don't know if that helps you or not. http://www.benpearson.com/diamondback.asp

The 20 degree grip thing is one of the most thought out doohickey's I've ever seen on a bow. It is very natural, and I will never buy a bow without something like it. Very quiet, fast, well built!

Their new BullDog looks nice too, but the Diamondback has better vibration dampening and a nicer grip position.

The dagger is a bit longer axel to axel, no 20 degree slant, but the Vibrex dampening.
http://www.benpearson.com/dagger.asp

I have no affiliation with Pearson except that they were very nice to me and I am trying to put their name out a little more.

Good luck with your search, you can't go wrong with any of them!
Old 06-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot some of the bows mentioned and they are all fine bows. Especially the Pearson line with VIBX. I shot for them for the last 4 years.

Changed this year and have to "POP" this one in-----your word---POP. I'm shooting a Martin Slayr, nitrous cam, 27.5", 55lbs and hunting setup is getting about 280fps. 3D is 293+. By far the fastest bow I've ever had and just as shootable as the best I had from Pearson, such as the 38" Special. Just 25-30fps faster.
Now, if money gets to be an issue you can get the Martin Cougar III with nitrous cams for about $150 less money. On paper it gives up only 5fps to the SlayR. This might be my hunting bow for sure.

What gets me is that the Nitrous cam draws very smoothly for such a fast bow. Not much valley when you hit the wall, but there is a wall. A real wall. Best thing is to try some and compare them side by side.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:06 PM

I personally like the Mathews Outback, but I would take a look at all of the bows that have been mentioned, they are all top notch bows, you just need to find the one that fits you best..........good luck
Old 06-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Newberry SB1 with SAT cams
will shoot a 350 grain arrow298 + FPS at 27" draw and 70#
Old 06-15-2004, 08:32 PM
c j
Typical Buck

midwestxpress, like you're going to hear about a million times, the best thing you can do is test-shoot a bunch of different bows. It's hard to go by other people's opinions or reviews, since they may be looking for something a little different, or it may fit them differently, etc.

TBS, here's my 2 cents worth: I tried Hoyt, Mathews, BowTech, AR, and Buckmaster. I didn't care much for the Buckmaster or the Hoyts. The Buckmaster had more vibration and noise and I didn't like the Hoyts' grips or their draw. The AR was decent, but didn't seem as nice as the Mathews or BowTechs. I tried the Outback and LX from Mathews and the Liberty and Patriot (single cam) from BowTech.

Those 4 were clearly above the rest, IMO, but the Liberty was my favorite. The draw seemed effortless and it was smooth and quiet on the shot. I gave up some speed in choosing it over the Patriot, but it's plenty fast for hunting, and that was my main concern.

Good luck with whatever you get!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Darton Typhoon is my pick of the litter.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Merlin Max-xtreme. This is a great bow! Geometry is awesome, no recoil or shock, full 8" brace height,and still gets around 290, which is more than plenty for hunting. Once you shoot one, you'll know. Plus there is now an option of 60% modules for those who have to have more zip, or more holding weight. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Quick Reply: looking for your advice on new bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.