Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Best thumb trigger release for hunting >

Best thumb trigger release for hunting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best thumb trigger release for hunting

Old 06-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best thumb trigger release for hunting

Was just recently doing some reading about how these things worked. Sounds intriguing.

Anyone using one? What are some good ones that are also relatively inexpensive?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best thumb trigger release for hunting

I use a TruBall Pro Diamond for hunting, I believe it was around $80. I also use and prefer the TruBall King George release which I can use my pinky and thumb at the same time to release. But it makes a bit too much noise for hunting. Both of the releases have a talon head on them and come with a rope. I took the rope off the release and just use a loop on the string. Nice thing about both releases is that I can attach them to the string while hunting and just leave them. I also have a double ball head for the releases that is interchangable, but I never used it.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does the pro diamond have a seperate hammer that is released by the trigger, allowing for a hair trigger independent of string tension?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, but the King George does. There is virtually no travel at all in the King George. I believe that I got that release for about $135. The only problem is the hammer makes some noise which I don't care for when hunting. But the release is really something.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

RB.

I use the TruBall Extreme with the Talon head for both 3d and hunting.

You can set that fairly fine in the trigger but I prefer a stiffer trigger setting.

If you do go for one of these thumb style make sure when you draw your thum is pointed to the ground and nowhere near the trigger

Otherwise you could end up with a fat lip and a couple of teeth missing
Old 06-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting a thumb activated model for many years now and will give this advice. There are NO good ones that are inexpensive. You get what you pay for. Good ones such as Cascade or Carter are in the $100 or more range. At present I have four Cascades

Some other options would be to look around at some and see what you might like. Then look in the classifieds on ArcheryTalk.com.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I am actually much more accurate with my thumb trigger releases........I simply don't trust myself to use one for hunting, especially in cold weather.

In any event there are guys who do so quite succesfully.....as far as brands? The 2 Major brands are TruBall and Carter.
I have shot both , and most guys either like one or the other........me I can't stand the FEEL of a TruBall even though I can shoot them well. They just feel too blocky and "mechanical" for my tastes.
I really enjoy the Carter releases. When you find the one that fits your hand size, finger pattern prefernce, it just MELTS into your hand. Hard to describe until you shoot one. They are so smooth and nicely shaped that they actually feel "soft" (for lack of a better description)

For larger hand the "Insatiable" is really nice........or the Insatiable 2 with its index finger hole. (maybe a little added security against dropping?)
These are a 4 finger style

The Target 4 is also a nice more straight up and neutral design.

In a 3 finger I absolutely love the "Just Cuz". I WISH I cuold trust myself to hunt with it because it might just be my favorite achery accessory. I'm so comfortable shooting it it's like an extension of my hand. It's just that the triggers are very sensitive, and boy one snag or bump under adverse conditions or an akward angle could mean an airmailed arrow. When you target shoot with these things it's no problem because it's no rush very controlled conditions..........not always so in a treestand so mine stays at home.[&o]
Old 06-15-2004, 08:18 PM

They are so smooth and nicely shaped that they actually feel "soft" (for lack of a better description)

I love them when they are like that.....OH!, wait...we're talking about releases My bad...proceed fellas, I'm off to watch the Pistons.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:24 PM

I have shot Carter releases for several years now and really like them. Currently, I am shooting a Carter Big Kid Hunter release. It is an open jaw release so you can attach it to a d-loop quickly. It is a great release, but like other posts have said, Carters are expensive. I think the hunter retails around $140 now.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:56 AM

Range,
If you decide to lean toward the Carter releases, check out 3Dshoots.com. They seem to have some pretty good prices. I recently picked up a Just Cuz from them for $125. They go for $135 or $140 most other places I looked.

Quick Reply: Best thumb trigger release for hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.