Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

expense of bows

Old 05-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: expense of bows

Im with ya man I have been shooting the same pse pulsar since 1985 til this year. Its done its job every year since I have bought it. I do have to admit that I got a newer bow this year still not a brand new one.

A buddy of mine is one of those speed freaks and was wanting something new. So he pretty much gave me his pse-firestorm lite(which he had never taken out in the field), to justify himself buying a new bow. I have to admit its a whole lot better than that old pulsar but I just cant afford all of the new gimmicks that come out every year. If it gets the job done thats all I ask for
Old 05-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree the prices of all archery equipment is expensive ,but I pay for what i want regardless of the price. I do agree as well that i could have gone cheaper as well ,there are alot of bow's out there that would have served me as well as the bow that I bought . As long as we pay these prices they're going to continually get more expensive .We also have to take into consideration to the technology and experimental stages that these bow's and other gear go through in order to give the consumer what they demand, and with that it all comes with a cost it doesn't get done for free. Most of the high end gear and bow's obsorb this extra cost to give you the highest quality and technology in the field today.

nubo

nubo
Old 05-27-2004, 12:08 AM

believe me i am all for capitalism and everyone making as much money as possible. i just think that alot of people who might want to take up hunting be it bow or rifle or whatever, won't because of the serious amount of cash that is spent at the outset. i don't think a 700$ bow will harvest a deer any better than a 200$ bow. just my opinion hoping the big boys in industry will listen and cut us working stiffs a break.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:55 AM

Bugeaters,

You are absolutely right! The $200 bow is just as effective as the $700 bow in the woods. I doubt any deer ever chose to be shot by the hunter with the hot, new, expensive bow over the guy with the 10 year old Wal Mart special.

Fortunately, both bows are available to hunters in this great country. I just checked Cabela's on line catalog and there are several bows under $300 that include a rest & sight. If I want a bow that's more expensive, it's available if I want to spend the money. If that's still too much, most bow shops have a used bow rack and ebay is only a click or two away. I've seen some good bargains in both places. My personal preference is a bow shop since you also can get advice on fit and accessories.

The point is that while the newest, most advanced is pretty pricey, the ecomomy of this great county gives us more options than any ecomomy in the history of human civilization.

We all can't shoot the top of the line bows any more than we can all drive a new Mercedes, but we can all enjoy the sport.

Good shooting,
Allen
Old 05-27-2004, 08:05 AM

i can't see shelling out 700$'s for a bow. or rifle for that manner.
That's bad, but it's actually worse than that! Next year, your $700 gun will still be worth close to $700. Five years from now it will still probably be worth $700 because the new ones will cost $900. However next year your $700 bow will be worth $350 and in 5 years you will be happy to get $100 out of it. It's a double-edged sword. The cost is high, but the depreciation is the killer.

I trade every year, but for last years model. It cost me about $250 to trade both my hunting and target rigs from '02's to '03's this spring. The guys that sold them took a combined depreciation beating of about $600 on these '03's, where I lost about $90 to depreciation on the '02's.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:22 PM

Nobody forces you to pay $700 for a bow. There are many under $400. I bought a starter bow a few years ago. It was a $175 PSE. It was slow as hell. but i used it until i was big enough i wouldnt outgrow a new bow. I am going to get one of the high end bows, LX or Outback, but that is because i plan on shooting it into the ground. I am going to keep it for a long time. And i dont think that the prices keep going up only becasue the manufactures are greedy. Think about all the research that goes into the bows. You are not only paying for the material and labor that was put into THAT BOW but also for all the tecnalogy in the bow. When you buy a DVD or CD it costs about $15. The burnable CDs are only about 20 cents each. But you are not only paying for the physical CD but also the music on the cd. The singer, studio time, producing, advirtising and everything.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:14 PM

I bought an 2003 Bowtech Tech 29 about three months ago for $300!! The bow was BRAND NEW with warranty!!! Just because it was last years model, the price was drastically reduced. Shop around and you'll find a good deal.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:20 PM

I just picked up a used 2004 BowTech Liberty with less than 200 shots through it , in like new condition for $400.00, shipped to my house!!! The bow is in perfect shape. That was a deal!!!!!

T.W.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:32 PM

Archery is the one sport that you get what you paid for. Bulldog1
ORIGINAL: The Wizard

I just picked up a used 2004 BowTech Liberty with less than 200 shots through it , in like new condition for $400.00, shipped to my house!!! The bow is in perfect shape. That was a deal!!!!!

T.W.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

You guys are cheap.
Get what you want and don't worry about the cost like Ol' Sag.
Like the old saying goes, "your life is short but you're a long time dead".
Get what you want before the Grim Reaper gets your a**!
Heck, bows are cheap.
Buy a nice bow for yourself and quit yer b*tching. LOL

Sag.