Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Draw too short?? >

Draw too short??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw too short??

Old 05-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Draw too short??

How can you tell if your draw length is too short. I've been playing around with mine a little. Last weekend while at a 3D shoot with PAHardwoods, I noticed that I tend to pull the bow back toward me at full draw a bit to get into anchor. This puts my bow arm at more than "a slight" bend. Just for giggles, I lengthened it by 1/2" and did notice a little better grouping. It feels weird, but the groups seem better.

What are some tell tale signs that you're draw is too short? I like the bend I had because of string clearence in hunting season issue, but it just seemed a little too extreme.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw too short??

I find that when I try to shoot a bow that is too short for me that , my groups open up left to right considerably . If you can hold the bow comfortably sitting down while holding against the wall or stop you probably are not shooting a bow that is "too long" .
Old 05-13-2004, 03:24 PM

muz:

That is one indicator. Here is another.

http://www.bowhunting.com/BowhuntingBasics.asp?page=3
Old 05-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot tonight some with the longer draw and it just seems that I'm stretched too much. I do hit my bow arm occasionally too. Guess my 28" draw was correct afterall. I just wanted to experiment a little. I did however notice very good grouping at the longer draw. I just wasn't very comfy that way.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzy,that is because you are getting your arm straighter and that is the correct form for target archery.It is the easiest to repeat from shot to shot but the big problem with it is you are creating less space for clothing clearance.When shooting this way,you must create space by rotating your hand over so you don't hit your arm.

So now the delimma is do you shoot a different draw for shooting 3-d and hunting.

For me,I will shoot my hunting bow the same draw as my 3-d rig untill it is just too cold and I have to put on heavy clothing and then I will shorten it.I will shoot ABOUT the same but my groups are SLIGHTLY bigger with the shorter draw.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, thats very interesting. Never heard of doing changing draw so much. I'm not overly concerned really, just experimenting. I will have a shiny new target bow this coming winter so I can seperate the two if need be.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:43 PM

When you start switching from one bow to another without having established shooting form, draw length, and anchor points, you're going to have problems. Draw length, while there are basic criteria, is dependent on your style, form, and equipment.

If your form is good, you will find it uncomfortable by even a quarter inch up or down from what is absolutely the best for you. You will only find what is best for you through experimentation under a scrutinizing eye.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Something else that I have found personally is that it is difficult for me to maintain a comfortable and repeatable grip when shooting a bow that is too short in the draw for me. This tends to lead to very inconsistant groupings and even target panic in some cases.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I played around with my draw length alot 2 years ago. When I made it to short I felt like my two hands where fighting each other for control of the bow and I could not hold steady or shoot groups worth squat. I lengthened it about 1/4 inch from there and it was great.

--Bob
Old 05-15-2004, 06:52 PM

Try not to bend your arm when you shorten up. Anchor point is a very personal thing, but depending on the bow you are shooting, it could be the cause of your problems. I find that with proper grip and form, it is much easier to shoot too short a draw bow than even a fraction too long. I get plenty of arm clearance. I think a real good indicator of proper draw length is actually where the arrow nock ends up when you draw -- shold be nearly directly below your eye with your head upright. Short A-A bows tend to play havoc with comfortable anchor points causing guys to get bows that are too long.

When you get too short, your sight picker will tend to become herky-jerky in movements. Too long and the pin will slowly float but not really stop. Just right and the pin should float and then stop for several seconds.

On the link, I find the recommendation to put the thumb behind your neck to be a bad idea as that causes tension in a lot of places you should be relaxed.