Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tendonitis in my bow wrist. >

Tendonitis in my bow wrist.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tendonitis in my bow wrist.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tendonitis in my bow wrist.

All the years of mountain biking and four wheeling caught up with me. I’m pretty sure I have tendonitis in my wrist. I’ve noticed the pain in my bow wrist for about two weeks but couldn’t figure out what I did as it would come and go. Well yesterday I shot two outdoor paper leagues and an indoor league and my wrist is sore. Frankly this sucks! I’m only 25 how’s this going to be when I’m as old as some of you farts? Is there anything I can have done or wear that would help?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tendonitis in my bow wrist.

As far as OTC stuff, Aleve works very well for me when I (an old fart) get sore. I also get tendonitis in my bow wrist, elbow, but also my draw shoulder. I also have variable pain from neck and back problems, and a bad knee caused by football injuries. I also have a partially repaired shoulder separation from a Mt. Bike accident. Advil or its generics work resonably well, but Aleve is better, IMO. When your wrist gets feeling better, strength training specifically for the wrist will also help. Strength training is mainly how I have been able to avoid getting a knee replacement, since my first knee operation was over 30 years ago, and the arthritis buildup is pretty advanced. Best of luck, hope this helps. BTW, the older you get, the more it hurts![:'(]
Old 05-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

About ten years ago--after a five day fishing trip, I developed tendonitis in my left elbow. The elbow inflamed almost 1-1/2 times its normal size and the pain was excruciating.
I've tried several different pills to assist with the pain including Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate and Tylenol Arthritis pills for pain.
They all worked a little--but it was not until another olf fart like myself told me about the pills he takes daily.

Its Pure Canadian Elk Antler pills--I kid you not--made from crushed & processed Elk Antlers, almost looks like garlic pills--two pills daily, you would not believe the relief I've achieved, it's almost unbelievable.

I can give you the info and guys address in Montreal Quebec if you are interested.
Looks like you've joined the old farts syndrome quite early in life.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:59 PM

elk antler? i'm game. i'd like that info also please. one thing i'll say about tendonitis is 2 weeks rest! if you don't and it becomes chronic tendonitis you have to rest it for 6 months. pain releiver can be dangerous and make the problem worse in the end because you don't feel the damage you are doing. i got it in my shoulder a couple times, the rest works. now i do those arm circles forward and back, hand up and down, to get it warmed up before i shoot and it's made all the difference for me - even though it looks a little silly. also ease back into it and stop at the first sign of pain. i got the info from a medical book when i had it in my shoulder.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

ICE, ICE, ICE, and MORE ICE!!!!!! Can't emphasize that more. As stated Aleve, or Ibprofin will work well. Aleve is a little stronger of an antiimflamitory than Ibprofin is. OTC, Ibprofin (advil, mortin) can be taken. OTC stegth is 200mg. If you get a Rx from a DR he would give you 400-800mg. Anything over 200 is considered a perscription stregth. So, there is no difference between OTC and perscription...just the dose. Gib mentioned pain releavers are dangerous. Ibporifin and Aleve (naprosen) are not pain killers. The are anti-imflamitories. Thats what Tendonitis is. Imflamation of the tendons caused by overstress. Fancy name for a Pain in the A$$ Aleve, motrin, advil, are all o.k. If you go with motrin or advil...save money and go with generic. Aleve ha sa generic too, don't know what they call it. Genereics are the same stuff. Pain killers are very different as they attach themselve to the brain "sensors" that identify a feeling as being painfull. When the P.Kers attach they just block that receptor. Which..yes can cause more damage. However, most likely you don't have "damage". Just swelling I'd presume.

Anyway, Take one of the two to keep the swelling down. I'd stick with 2-3 time s a day. then, whenever you can ICE. ICE ALL THE TIME. 20 minutes on and a halfhour off. You shouldn't ice more than 20 minutes at a time. Thius actually will cause more swelling. Which leads to something else. NEVER HEAT IT!!!! You shouldn't heat and injury. heat promotes swelling. it will feel good initially, but it wont help in the long run. As a college athlete the only time I ever heated was before practice or comp. in order to loosen things up. Only because I had to though. afterwards...ICE ICE ICE ICE. If your sitting in front of the T.v....ICE IT UP. Also, when it starts to get better...keep icing it it. Every day. for a couple months after it feels good. This will keep the tendons from swelling back up.

J

P.S...no I'm not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night
Old 05-13-2004, 04:49 PM

here's a good link about tendonitis, with treatments at bottom. you can do a google search for more info. good luck with it. pretty dang close to what justthrowit says + rest. [link]http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic570.htm[/link]
Old 05-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have it in my right elbow (I shoot right handed) and my left achilles.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

'Elk Antlers'- contact Jean-Louis L'Ecuyer:- 6715 Somerled Avenue, Montreal Quebec H4V 1T7.
That's all the info I've got for him, unfortunately you'll have to write him.
Or call (Quebec) 514-487-2872 or 780-723-6485 (Alberta). Depending on which of his farms he's at. He farms the Elk for the antlers.

Usually it takes about 4-5 weeks, he sends the bill with the capsules (50 per bottle)--then you can send him the payment.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:00 PM

preesh
Old 05-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I believe the doctor will tell you it isn't from your mountain biking and all that stuff. It comes from all those times you locked yourself in the bathroom as a youngun'[8D]

OK... Ok... seriously... ice and more ice and Motrin etc. I got it in an elbow once. I let it go so long it finally got bad enough I couldn't hold a glass of water with that hand. I finally ended up getting a series of ultrasound therapy along with a heat, exercises and then ice. It cleared up in about 2 weeks. The next year I got it in the other elbow. I didn't wait for it to get so bad this time. One week of treatments and I was good to go.

Quick Reply: Tendonitis in my bow wrist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.