Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 how many arrows to take afield? >

how many arrows to take afield?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how many arrows to take afield?

Old 05-05-2004, 11:12 AM

Default how many arrows to take afield?

Heres the question: How many arrows do you normally take to the field with you (deer hunting specifically)?

The reason I'm asking: I've hunted with a lot of friends over the years, with varying degree's of archery experience. A couple of them would take just two arrows in their quivers- and it's not like they were THAT accurate. I've always liked to take a minimum of 4, max of 6. I've never used 6 but once I shot four times (twice at the same deer). Last year an inexperienced friend arrowed a small buck with a spine shot, but then had difficulty getting a clean kill with his two remaining arrows. I had to come along and finish it. Also, I don't want to get down out of my stand and spread my scent around chasing arrows either, in the event I miss (fortunately, that's been years now.)
Old 05-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how many arrows to take afield?

I keep 3 hunting arrows and a varmit arrow in my quiver when deer hunting, I never have had to use more than two in one sitting.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

When deer hunting I only have 2 or 3 in the quiver.
But hog hunting I will load the quiver to the max as the hogs unless they get wind of you will keep coming back after you shoot one.
The most hogs I have shot in one sitting was 5 after the 5th they came back but I had no arrows left so I just had to watch them untill the corn was gone[:-]
Old 05-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually take 4-6.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:01 PM

I take 4. Sometimes I may be at camp for 2-3 days at a time. I like to have atleast one arrow for each day and atleast one back up.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

I always take as many as my quiver will hold because you never know what you might run in to.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

5's my #.

Four with broadheads and one field point. Why so many w/ broadheads?
Because of what Ausie-guy mentioned- PIGS. They usually (except big boars) run in packs and don't run very far once one has been hit.

I carry the fieldpoint arrow because at the end of every morning hunt I like to pick out a small object on the ground to shoot at (leave, ant mound etc.) to make sure I'm still on. This keeps the confidence up when you nail it everytime!
Old 05-05-2004, 01:50 PM

For some strange reason I think all bowhunters should carry atleast 3 dozen arrows in the woods and have another 3 dozen as spares
Old 05-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 05-05-2004, 01:59 PM

Deer 4-6 Bear or any other dangerous animal, as many as I can carry on my little red wagon.

Quick Reply: how many arrows to take afield?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.