Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 pass through shots >

pass through shots

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

pass through shots

Old 05-05-2004, 04:59 AM
Spike

Default pass through shots

Just a quick question to see if this is normal. I have shot about 10 deer with a bow (recovering 7) and not one of those shots were a complete pass through. I used to use a jennings buckmaster with alluminum arrows with mechanicals but now i am using a martin jaguar magnum with 28 1/2 Easton carbon evolution arrows with both bows set at about 70-71 lbs. On Some of the shots the arrow punched through and was sticking out the other side but never a complete pass through, even on shots clearly behind the leg in the ribs.

Is it just me or am i expecting tooo much thinking i should be getting pass throughs on my shots. JUst curious.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:17 AM

Default RE: pass through shots

You should probably list more spec's ! Draw length , Arrow spine, type of mechanicals and it's grain weight , have you ever paper tuned the bow or group tuned ?

I'll say "generally" with today's bows .....especially at 70 # ......if they are tuned well ........you should get pass throughs on most shots unless you hit bone !!

Personally.....I'm lucky and have a 30" draw and shoot 70+ lbs pretty easy !! I always get passthroughs unless I hit a heavy bone .......with mechanicals or fixed blades !!

My initial guess without knowing more .......would be "bow tune" causing your trouble !!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess would be bow tune as well. The Jag Mag has plenty of "oomph" at 70 pounds, and assuming no major bone hits and a good broadhead you should be zipping them on through.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are you still using mechanicals with your setup or did you switch broadheads at the same time that you switched arrows? My guess would be bow tune as well because, as Jeff stated, your bow should be putting out some pretty decent KE numbers....unless you are shooting a large diameter expandable head that is.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with the others, something might be wrong.

I have shot 5 deer with a bow, 4 pass throughs, one shoulder hit.
Hunting partners have also shot several in the last few years, all pass-throughs except one other shoulder hit, all deer recovered.

My bow is 65 lbs, 2314 xx78 with 100 gr thunderheads
others are, both 62 lbs, one with 2213 arrows and either 100 gr thunderheads or 2 blade stingers, and other 2314 with expandables from NAP (forget the name).

--Bob
Old 05-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your broadheads are SHARP they should be slicing right through.What distance are you shooting these deer at--30 yards and closer i would think you should get pass-thru shots.jmo.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your bow is out of tune the arrow wont hit "square" and can cause this . The fatter the shaft the less penitration you will get . Feathers tend to go thru easyer than vanes [ very slightly] .Carbon arrows will penitrate better than alluminum of the same diamiter [slightly] . A narrow 2 blade cut on contact head will pass thru easyer than a large cut 3 blade mecanical . That being said , with the bow you are shooting there is no reason you should not be getting passthrus , unless you are useing dull , large cut mecanical broadheads .
Old 05-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

What everybody else said, only using different words...

Old 05-05-2004, 09:03 AM

Can anyone guess what I'm going to tell him?

Through the mechanicals away, not as good at pentrating as a fixed head. However that should not prevent a pass through on a 70 pound bow. You should always get a pass through with 70 lbs, bone or not, with fixed heads. I have to agree with the rest the bow is most likely out of tune.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should always get a pass through with 70 lbs, bone or not
Huh?

Perhaps the game in your area are in dire need of some coral calcium in their diet...

Quick Reply: pass through shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.