Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Picked up a Drop Zone tonight >

Picked up a Drop Zone tonight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Picked up a Drop Zone tonight

Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Picked up a Drop Zone tonight

I just got back from the shop, and despite my resistance, I decided to give a Drop Zone a try. I like my Trophy Taker, but I just have a nich I need to fill. I'm not 100% happy with it. I think its the noise factor that really has me bothered. So, I brought home one of these high dollar buggers to test out.

One thing I can, its built like a tank! Its significantly heavier, but I really like the overall design. The launch arm is protected inside a housing and you never have to worry about it. Plus, yes, it drop straight down. I'm going to get it mounted up tonight and I"ll begin putting it through some paces tomorrow if the rain holds up.

Anyone have any pointers?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM

Default RE: Picked up a Drop Zone tonight

Do a no rain dance
Old 04-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I just came in from outside a while ago. I just couldn't refuse to shoot this thing just a little. Flood lights and all and the neighbors seeing what the hell is going on, I shot about 10 shots or so out of it. One thing I automatically noticed, quiet! I can't beleive how quiet the Xtec is without the annoying noise of the Trophy Taker. Can't tell you about accuracy as I was only 10 yards from the target and couldn't see through the peep because it was dark

Is this a bad sign for me? Shooting with a flood light at 10PM. The girlfriend sure seems to think there is something wrong with me.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:57 AM

Yeah Chris there is something wrong with you, you have a rare disease called Tinkerius Archeryitis. Boy the university must pay you good to be dumping all that dough on new toys. Oh that's right your not married, so you have no woman to go out and spend all of your money. Just remember her money is your money and your money is your money. But hey I shouldn't be talking because I am now bidding on a Golden Key 3D Royal Hunter with the Horseshoe launchers on Ebay, When I have a perfectly good trophy taker on my bow right now. I guess I have that same disease as you.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been able to get my TT quiet but it's still a bit louder than I like too. Well, maybe not louder volume-wise than my NAP 3000 but a different "tone" that bugs me a bit . But I've had guys at the shop say my Liberty is the quietest bow they've heard. I've even asked them.."Can't you hear the "tink" sound of the rest?", and they say "no" so I stopped worrying about it. :shrug:

I'm interested to hear how things go w/ the DZ too. That may be the next one I try just for grins. I'm happy w/ TT & TKO, but I'm always up to trying new stuff out, especially now that Trophy Ridge has the "Hunter" version without all the "frills" and a more reasonable price tag.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

especially now that Trophy Ridge has the "Hunter" version without all the "frills" and a more reasonable price tag.
My thoughts on this one as well. I always liked the design and was edging towards buying it during my last drop-away rest splurge but ended up with the TT instead. Maybe in the next month or so.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:31 PM

PABowhntr

You knwo you must buy a drop zone! Repeat to yourself 100 times.....must buy dropzone.....must buy dropzone.....must buy dropzone

Old 04-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot most of the evening tonight with this rest and so far so good. I like how quiet it is. A far cry from my Trophy Taker in that regard. One thing I did notice. I did a quick group tune with it to get everything lined up out to about 40 yards or so. Since the rest does mount farther back than a normal drop away or prong rest, torque seems much more critical with it. I did have more left to right impacts with it than I'm used to.

I think I'll keep it for a while. Its almost as ugly as the Zero Effect and weighs as much as the bow, but all in all, its seems pretty nifty.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since the rest does mount farther back than a normal drop away or prong rest, torque seems much more critical with it. I did have more left to right impacts with it than I'm used to.
With a drop away?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowfanatic, yes, with a drop away. The pivot point of the arrow is farther back on this rest and if you are torquing the grip a little you are moving the arrow left or right farther than if it the pivot point were closer to the riser. Where ever the arrow is torqued, thats where she goes.

Quick Reply: Picked up a Drop Zone tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.