Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Epoxy setting time on Axis arrows? >

Epoxy setting time on Axis arrows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Epoxy setting time on Axis arrows?

Old 04-09-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Epoxy setting time on Axis arrows?

Just had some arrows cut and inserts installed at the pro shop. The guy at the shop told me to wait 24 hrs to give the epoxy time to dry. I waited the 24hrs then screwed in my tips, all but one of the inserts was still lose, it easly twisted around and would slide out if pulled. I also noticed the epoxy was still rather wet on a few of arrows. Is this normal? Does this sound like a sh!tty epoxy job? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:40 PM

Default RE: Epoxy setting time on Axis arrows?

One thing to keep in mind the slower it sets up the stronger the bond. However maybe he was a little light on the hardener. The slower the set up the better.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Correct me if I'm wrong here. With the new Axis arrows that have the hidden insert technology wouldn't you have to screw the field tips on to the insert and then glue the insert in? Is it possible he didn't do that and pushed the inserts in too far and your only catching a couple threads? Can you even see the inserts?

Disregard that! I see you noticed the epoxy was still wet!

I'd still like to know the process for these Axis arrows with the hidden insert. Am I correct or is there a different process when glueing the inserts?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd still like to know the process for these Axis arrows with the hidden insert. Am I correct or is there a different process when glueing the inserts?
Doug.
Easton supply a fitting tool and a little grinding stone here is a pic of them.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool! Thanks Ausie!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought the Axis arrows came with their own tube of adhesive for the inserts as well?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:05 AM

I haven't finished any myself yet, but the ones I had made up I could shoot after about a half hour. No problems with them as of yet.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought the Axis arrows came with their own tube of adhesive for the inserts as well?
Art.

They do
Old 04-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like he either didn't put enough, or didn't put any of the hardener in when he mixed the epoxy. After 24 hours, they should have had plenty of time to set up. I'd take them back and make him redo them or give you some more arrows.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:50 AM

Double Creek,Take them back to the "Pro"shop,and get them replaced!It just seems to me that they did'nt mix the epoxy right if it did'nt dry in 24 hours.Also,if you have them fixed with new inserts,you'll still have all the old epoxy junk on the inside of your shafts.I set my own up the other night with no problems.D-C,I strongly suggest you spin each one of the Axis shafts before you buy them...Bob

Quick Reply: Epoxy setting time on Axis arrows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.