Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

target

Old 04-09-2004, 02:49 PM

Default target

does anyone have or know of plans on how to build an archery target
thanks
Old 04-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Default RE: target

I have built one using celotex. I used 2 5ft. 2x6's for the top and bottom. then I cut the celotex in 1ft by 4ft pieces and stacked. Then used 1/2" all thread on the sides to compress the target. carboard also works good instead of celotex. I have been using it for 4 years and it is outside in the weather all year round. 9 sheets of celotex makes a 3ft by 4ft target.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:47 PM

I am building a target out of burlap seed bag and plastic grocery bags. It is 80% done and I have shot at it from 20 yards. The arrow stops quite well (doesn't go through) and so far the burlap hasn't been cut. I am going to stuff more sacks into it for a final product. By the way, the "Infinity Target" is stuffed with chopped up sleeping bags (?) and costs about 40 bucks. I have been shooting at it for about 3 months now and I really like it. I shoot between 60 nd 100 arrows a day, you do the math. It seems to be durable enough and after you think your wear is about done you can replace the cover for about 15 bucks.
My hunting buddy made a target from shrink wrap stuffed in a burlap seed bag he got from Home Depot dumpster (shrink wrap). I was impressed! It stopped his carbons with broad points and seemed to self heal (stuffing) but the burlap kinda got cut up. But the seed sack was free from our local ranch seed supplier. We are looking into the McKenizies for 3D's as we have lots of outdoor property to go shooting in. Gonna leave 'em out in the field until hunting season as we go shooting together every week. Same goes for our home mades. Good luck hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:11 PM

The shrink wrap in burlap is good, so is stuffing them with cotton batting. Or a combination of both. Nothing beats a bag target. If it pooches out in back, lay it down and stomp on it.

One trick I've learned, let it hang. Hanging the bag lets it swing with the impact, thus helping to absorb some of the impact instead of the bag taking all of it. Waiting for it to stop swinging also give you a chance to think about the shot, make any mental adjustments, and lets your muscles regain some of the oxygen they lost.

Also, only shoot at one side. If you punch holes in both sides, it won't take long for the stuffing to start coming out the holes. So I just shoot at one side, all the time.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:00 PM

I use old clothes( towels, t-shirts, jeans, blankets,ect.) stuffed in burlap sacks, or stuffed in a medium-size cardboard box. If you use the cardboard box, wrap the outside with that blue tarp material from wally-world and place stickers on it - You'd be mighty surprised how much abuse one of these will take, and you probably have all the materials already! It stops my arrows dead at 10 yds.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:30 PM

I POSTED MY PLANS BEFORE AND IT COST ME A TOTAL OF 7.27 AT HOME DEPOT FOR MY TARGET SO HERE IT GOES AGAIN.

HERE'S A GOOD DO IT YOURSELFER. YOU GET 2 2X8'S CUT 36IN. AND 2 THREADED STEEL RODS WITH BOLTS AND WASHERS 24 TO 36 INCHES LONG DEPENDING ON HOW WIDE YOU WANT YOUR TARGET AND THEN YOU GET EITHER CARDBOARD OR OLD CEILING TILES AND CUT THEM INTO STRIPS OF 30INCHES LONG BY 7 INCHES WIDE AND THEN STACK THEM ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND THEN COMPRESS THEM WITH THE 2X8'S. IT LOOKS JUST LIKE A LAYERED BLOCK TARGET AND IT STANDS UP ON ITS OWN. ANOTHER COOL THING IS THAT WHEN THE CARDBOARD OR CEILING TILES GET CHEWED UP YOU CAN JUST LOOSEN THE BOLTS AND REMOVE THE CARDBOARD AND REPLACE WITH FRESH STUFF. I SHOOT A BOWTECH EXTREME SOLO 63 LB. DRAW 28 IN. DRAW LENGTH WITH 390 GRAIN ARROWS AND IT STOPS MY ARROWS DEAD IN THEIR TRACKS. AS FOR BROADHEADS YOU HAVE TO CHANGE OUT THE CARDBOARD A LITTLE MORE OFTEN BECAUSE IT CHEWS IT UP PRETTY GOOD. YOU CAN ALSO PULL CARBON ARROWS OUT OF IT PRETTY EASY. HERE'S A PICTURE SO YOU CAN GET A LITTLE BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW I MAKE IT.

Old 04-11-2004, 04:13 PM

Great drawing,I will try this Thanks.

Have had a block and cube ,but they do wear.

TH