Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
4" or 5" vanes? helical or straight fletch??? >

4" or 5" vanes? helical or straight fletch???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

4" or 5" vanes? helical or straight fletch???

Old 02-16-2002, 05:16 PM

Default 4" or 5" vanes? helical or straight fletch???

I'm just wondering what some of you guys prefer to shoot as far as plastic veins or feathers. Do you prefer 4" or 5" fletches? Do you like helical twist on them or 1 degree straight fletches? I'm using xx75's and a tiger tuff "tuff buddy launcher".
Old 02-16-2002, 05:59 PM

Default RE: 4" or 5" vanes? helical or straight fletch???

I prefer plastic vaines, because they are more forgiving. I also like a four inch vane with a slight right helic...Tends to help my arrows travel a little truer...Longer vanes tend to add more weight while 3 inch or shorter can tend to be unstable..Good luck..
Old 02-16-2002, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always seem to wind up with vanes on new arrows. After shooting groups for a week or so, and shooting those vanes to shreds, I refletch with feathers. Always.

I use as much helical as I can get away with and still be sure to get plenty of fletching clearance. Obviously, I use more helical on aluminum than I can on carbon. I use 4" feathers on carbon. 5" on aluminum, assuming the brace height and arrow rest location will allow it.

For me, feathers are both more forgiving and more durable than plastic.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always have used a 4" plastic fletch with a slight offset to give a little more spin. It seems to help a lot with broadheads.

I will probably experiment a little more when ever I get my bitz though.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:15 PM

4" AAE vanes, 6 degree helical on ACC 3-60 shafts.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 4" AAE with a 6 to 8 degree right helical.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I play around with both vanes and feathers, but I always seem to end up with feathers on my hunting arrows. 4" right helical. A moderate helical gives me good clearance, and stabilizes the arrow well. Feathers are a pain in many ways, but I have found nothing better for making broadheads fly!

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-17-2002, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I switched from plastic to feathers because shooting 50 shot a day I was getting the plastic torn up and having to refletch every couple of weeks
Also have a right helical on them
4" feathers
Old 02-17-2002, 08:32 PM

Arthur..just curious...Are you getting contact on your riser or against your guard to cause your fletchings to tear up so fast...I shoot tournaments and practice almost daily...I have never had fletchings tear up like you say so fast..One or two here and there yes..but not all..Just curious..
Old 02-18-2002, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, XT. The contact that's tearing up my vanes isn't from contact with the bow or rest. It's from contact from field points as I stack arrows in the target. You don't shoot 5-spot faces in outdoor field archery, or just one arrow per target like 3D. You have to practice stacking 4 arrows in little groups in the middle of the dot.

Quick Reply: 4" or 5" vanes? helical or straight fletch???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.