Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow life

Old 04-06-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Arrow life

After all of the comments on Alum. vs Carbons i did some testing. I started shooting Bemans about 1 year ago. My buddy has been shooting carbon evolutions about 8 months. Another buddy has been shooting XX78 Super Slams for about 10-12 months. I checked all of the regular practice shafts for all of us (I shoot the most then the slams, and the evolutions are shot the least). My new shafts were +- .006 all shafts were within .009(2 were less then .006 out of 5 shafts). Carbon Evolutions new were within .004 now they are all within .007(1 was .0009 all others were .005-.007). And what do you know the Super Slams that started at .0015 were in between .005 and .015 (very bad) only two shafts were better then the carbons .009 a .006 and another .006. This is not an opinion this is actually testing of used shafts. Maybe its the super slams but i doubt it. I'm going to be testing some XX75 in about a week.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow life

I wonder if measurable straightness tolerances can be correlated with spine tolerance, which I believe more directly affects shootability?

Any chance the aluminums can be put on a straightener to bring them back into spec? How bout the carbons?

For the record, I shoot the best of both worlds...
Old 04-06-2004, 12:25 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm

interesting
Old 04-06-2004, 12:34 PM

I agree Rangeball spine is very important.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If JeffB were here, I'm positive he'd chime in something like this-

Specs, and their rank of importance-

1- SPINE. Spine must match as close as possible in order to get repeatable accuracy.

2- Weight.

3- Straightness.

If you can only have 2 out of the 3, I'll take the best of 1 and 2 with the worst of 3 any day over any other 2 out of 3 variation...

Unpredictable spine degradation seems to be the big knock on most current carbon offerings, not straightness.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball,

being as JeffB ain't here then I'll chime in and say I'm intotal agreement. That's why I'm not all that impressed with some carbon arrows that tout a straightness of .001" It's just not as important as other features.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:29 PM

And what do you know the Super Slams that started at .0015 were in between .005 and .015
What size Alums?
Old 04-06-2004, 02:45 PM

Rack they are 2117. I know that spine is really important but weight more then straightness? I think thats a little far. I think that straightness is just as if not maybe a little more important then spine diviation. I always shot all of my bare shafts before they get fletch, this really shows good arrows from bad ones.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:53 AM

"Arrow shafts made from aluminum have been the standard for years, and remain so today for several reasons. Aluminum arrows are remarkably consistent in size and weight, thanks to precise manufacturing processes."

Excluding the fact that there are no REAL measurable advantages to using carbon shafts for hunting, that the straightness and spine tolerances of carbon are often badly inconsistent within a dozen of expensive shafts, that ...according to some carbon users, carbon shafts appear to be more difficult to size and fletch, what are the assumed advantages to using carbon? Forget speed considerations. For the average distance deer are shot with a bow, speed is extremely overrated.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:27 AM

It is logical that spine and spine consistancy would contribute to repeatable accuracy.

How does the individual measure spine?

The only spine tester that I found on Google was the Adams tester and that was $130.

Thats more than I want to spend to find out if the arrow makers are living up to their own specifications.

How can the average archer, either target or hunting, get the arrows that he pays for?

Thanks,
Allen

Quick Reply: Arrow life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.