Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 opinions of the whisker biscuit? >

opinions of the whisker biscuit?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

opinions of the whisker biscuit?

Old 04-07-2004, 12:07 PM

Default RE: opinions of the whisker biscuit?

I agree, they don't seem right. However, they are. I've been shooting one for 3 years and they have been as accurate as any rest I've used and they do a better job at containing the arrow then any other rest I've seen. Fletching problems are indicative of using the wrong fletching or glue. Arrow containment is a benefit for most hunters. I find it a major benefit. I doubt target shooters would give a hoot. The are rugged, simple and reliable - exactly what I want for hunting.

The people at the local shop that I hang out at, are big fan of these rests. The guys are largely hunters and I doubt any of them has ever shot in an archery tournament. They like things that work for hunting, and these rests qualify. There are at least 50 guys that frequent this shop who shoot the WB and everyone of them loves the rest. A company doesn't have the overwhelming success with a product, that the WB has had, on a poor product. It certainly won't satisfy everyone (no product ever has), but very large numbers of hunters will be using this rest the coming hunting season. That should tell you something.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes indeed, CBM. I do spend my share of time on the soapbox. Probably more than my share. But, I try and present logical reasons for my opinion (which you finally did) rather than busting folks' chops right off the bat. I can understand how some of those comments on the other thread got your dander up, but it looks like you brought that anger onto this thread, where it was out of place. Shoulda left the anger where it was spawned. Hard to do sometimes, I know. Let's leave it at that.

My problem with the idea of the WB keeping you from nocking the arrow off the rest as you reach for the bow... I was taught to never load a weapon, gun or bow, until you were sure you had to get ready to take a shot. Loading an arrow on the bow and then hanging the bow on a tree is a violation of a primary hunter safety rule, IMO. It might take a freak accident for that bow to fall and drive the broadhead thru your tender little body, but we all know accidents do happen.

Just because it's become common practice doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.

I refused to use the old style WB because I didn't like the idea of loading an arrow by stuffing it "through a broom", as texas puts it. The new, sideloading style is something I could live with. I like the simplicity of the WB and, if I ever go back to shooting release, I just might invest in one. I've seen some awfully good shooting done with them. But, I'd shoot feathers instead of vanes.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Art, you retrieve your broadhead tipped arrow from the safety of your quiver as the quarrey is approaching, then and only then nocking it to prepare to take the shot? I assume if the shot opportunity doesn't present itself, the arrow goes back in the quiver?

Or perhaps you use one of them 150% let off bows so you can draw and hold as soon as you see the target?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: albertakid
I think people get discouraged with these types of rests because of fletching contact, but you have to remember the trade off of a full containment rest wich includes added safty and peace of mind of your arrow always being at the ready.
There is one exception I can think of off the top of my head. APA ultimate twister. Total containment drop away. THe best of both worlds
Old 04-07-2004, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
My problem with the idea of the WB keeping you from nocking the arrow off the rest as you reach for the bow... I was taught to never load a weapon, gun or bow, until you were sure you had to get ready to take a shot. Loading an arrow on the bow and then hanging the bow on a tree is a violation of a primary hunter safety rule, IMO. It might take a freak accident for that bow to fall and drive the broadhead thru your tender little body, but we all know accidents do happen.

Just because it's become common practice doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.

I refused to use the old style WB because I didn't like the idea of loading an arrow by stuffing it "through a broom", as texas puts it. The new, sideloading style is something I could live with. I like the simplicity of the WB and, if I ever go back to shooting release, I just might invest in one. I've seen some awfully good shooting done with them. But, I'd shoot feathers instead of vanes.
I am not cuttin on you Art, rather curious, how do you accomplish this without being detected. Do you hunt where you can see a long way or are you just super quiet.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:05 PM

AP , Your right ......as usual ! I shouldn't have carried things from thread to thread ......all the sudden everything looks irratating ! [8D]

Texas .....probably owe you an apology.....because really my pissing contest started months ago over this ! And it comes up almost weekly !![&o] Just took your post a way that may have been wrong......if so.......I'm sorry !!

Don't want anyone to think I am a pushing anyone on to a WB .......it's just that I personally know that they work fine and don't cause much fletching damage if used correctly ! I have never said......hopefully never implied that the WB is better than a GKF prong style rest or any other for that reason.......it's just not god aweful by comparison to me .........and yes I used to shoot a GFK TM hunter style rest and a Schaeffer MAT-1 for a long time ! I have found the WB as easy or easier to set up and tune as the others ! Although I wish CAP would make one that was micro adjustable !

Arthur......if you load the arrow when your ready to shoot.......seems to me your increasing your risk of being seen and losing some crucial time in preparing for shooting lanes .....figuring yardage and what not ! I like being set and ready to go ! And not that I in particular had problems with my arrow falling off ........I did get tired of holding my finger on my arrows.....I was always worried the arrow was going to get bumped off or I was going to hit the backwall too hard on the draw causing my arrow to fall.........and I also hunt several lock ons and move them several times during season .....and for whatever reason.....haven't put bow holders on them......it's nice to lay your bow across your lap(ready to go) and wait knowing your arrow is nocked and ready to go if an opportunity presents itself ! And I don't have to coat my high dalla bow with mole skin !

Thanks for the heads up.........I needed it !
Old 04-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know the old saying about age and treachery will overcome youth and skill? I'm a sneaky ol' fart.

Well, to be honest, I generally hunt with a recurve or longbow and keep the bow in my hand while hunting the thick stuff or resting across my knees in areas where I need the binoculars. I am careful to have plenty of concealment and, if the wind cooperates, try to have the sun at my back, according to where I intend to have a shot. So, my pre-shot movements are not easy to see.

I hunt the same way when I do use my compound though.

Using fingers instead of a release, I can slide my arrow onto the rest and slip the nock onto my string so that my fingers are already pretty much in draw position. I also shoot barebow or 'instinctive'. So, once I get the arrow loaded, I slowly bring the bow up, pick my spot and begin aiming as I draw, then release when I hit my anchor.

You could do the same thing with a release, it just takes a few seconds longer to latch the release onto the string or loop.

I can have my arrow loaded and an accurate shot off within 10 seconds of seeing the animal. Slightly slower with the compound. My arrow is already in the animal before most guys could grab their hanging bow, clip on the release and begin drawing, not to mention having to pick out where to aim with which pin. Real handy when stuff happens fast while hunting the thickets.

When I can see a long way, it's no big deal. I can take my time while loading the arrow, moving while the animal's eyes are obstructed behind some brush or weeds. Then it's simply draw and shoot when the critter gets in position.

At any rate, my movements are a lot smaller and less conspicuous than someone reaching over to get their bow off the hook.

BTW, Rangeball, if the shot doesn't come then, yes, the arrow goes back in the quiver.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

NO APOLOGY NEEDED. MY FEATHERS AINT RUFFLED.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:44 PM

I used A WB (carbon) when I first started shooting, I liked it as it would keep my arrow so I wouldn't have to think or worry about the arrow falling off the rest. I liked it on my "old" Martin Cougar II bow. I purchased a new (used) bow and the WB would not fit without a drop bracket. I didn't want to spend more money so I keep the WB rest in my tackle box in case I choose to get a drop bracket for the WB. No fletching problems noted. BUT I did notice a noise problem while using it[:'(]. It's worth the money to me if I had to set up a new bow. BUT I like the rest on my new (used) bow enough to where I probably won't change[&:].
Old 04-07-2004, 04:47 PM

NorthernMN - This pile has been stepped in many times and you know what? It still stinks as bad as the first boot load.

Quick Reply: opinions of the whisker biscuit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.