Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wrist and grip

Old 04-05-2004, 03:54 PM

Default RE: Wrist and grip

High or low, either one, as long as you are comfortable and you are holding the same way each and every time, you should be ok...you want a grip that will allow you not to torque as much....but consistancy is the key, make sure you keep the same grip for each shot.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Art, how does one accomplish this on a bow with the limb bolts fully seaated? I'm guessing it can't be done and retain max poundage, right?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:18 PM

Here is my two cents. I believe that low wrist is better. No matter how tired you get the grip you put on the bow will stay the same. High wrist people will eventually get tired and change to a lower grip. This may be 100 shots but it is there. Arthur P is talking about adding tiller to the bow so that your pressure point will change. I disagree with how he does this. You should never have less tiller in the top limb then in the bottom. I always tiller my bow to 3/16 of an inch. Then i just shove away with the bottom of my hand. Rock solid and always the same, no matter what. I have less contact with my bow then a high wrist guy. My fingers and thumb are not even close to the sides of the riser. Just the way i do it, you have to have a grip you believe in, so try different one until you like one.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rangeball, you don't accomplish that kind of tune and keep the limb bolts fully seated. You don't maintain absolute maximum poundage. But why in the world would you trade off improved tuning, steadier aiming and better accuracy for a couple measely pounds of draw weight? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Make the adjustment, get the bow tuned right, and you might even pick up a couple fps of speed even after dropping a pound or so of draw weight.

ewolf, that's quite alright that you disagree with my tiller technique. I have a great deal of disagreement with your point of view, on a great many things.

You've got 3/16 negative tiller on your bow? Less tiller on the bottom limb? In other words you have tillered your bow specifically to accomodate your unusual grip style. People using a more conventional grip generally wind up with less tiller on the top limb. Someone using the high wrist almost always has less tiller on the top limb, especially if they're fingers shooters.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball, you don't accomplish that kind of tune and keep the limb bolts fully seated. You don't maintain absolute maximum poundage. But why in the world would you trade off improved tuning, steadier aiming and better accuracy for a couple measely pounds of draw weight? Doesn't make any sense at all.
Art, this is all what I figured, but I thought I'd through my question out to add to the discussion and learning process... and I'm not currently shooting with my limbs maxed out

Honestly, I've never paid attention to how my bow has reacted throughout the draw cycle, and perhaps I should. I'll try to do so today.

I also prefer high wrist, but I'm a hunter, not a target banger. If I get 100 shots in back to back and don't have my tags filled, something's wrong...
Old 04-06-2004, 11:05 AM

The reason I shoot with a high wrist is that it helps me be able to rotate my big fat forearm out of the way of the string and it just feels good. I look at it this way, a shooting machine will always place the pressure at the lowest point of the bow's grip so this is what I try to duplicate.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

a shooting machine will always place the pressure at the lowest point of the bow's grip
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying there.... My shooting machine has an adjustable grip that can simulate most anyone's shooting style.

Shooting with a high wrist isn't putting pressure low on the grip- but rather just the opposite. Most of the contact and pressure is focused on the high end of the handle and throat of the grip.

Do you mean the deepest portion of the grip?
Old 04-06-2004, 11:38 AM

I shoot with a "high wrist," bow sitting in web of hand, fingers extended but relaxed, wrist aligned with bow arm. I find that that using this grip allows bow to be pulled into web at same spot each time and allows bow and string to auto-align. Bow is balanced to tip slightly forward after shot, at which time wrist sling keeps bow from falling. Rarely does much of my hand touch the grip until after shot is complete.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:05 PM

My grip is probably why I can never really tell the difference in "feel" between different stabilizers. The bow actually shoots forward a little out of my "web" and is cought by my two fingers. I like it and I'm mostly a hunter so I don't normally see a hundred arrows a day. I never feel fatigue in my hand or wrist, mostly my 47 year old shoulders[:@]
Old 04-17-2004, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Black Frog

a shooting machine will always place the pressure at the lowest point of the bow's grip
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying there.... My shooting machine has an adjustable grip that can simulate most anyone's shooting style.

Shooting with a high wrist isn't putting pressure low on the grip- but rather just the opposite. Most of the contact and pressure is focused on the high end of the handle and throat of the grip.

Do you mean the deepest portion of the grip?

Quick Reply: Wrist and grip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.