Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is this target panic? >

Is this target panic?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is this target panic?

Old 03-19-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Is this target panic?

Here the last few days when I have been shootin I have noticed when I draw,anchor and start to settle my pin on the bullseye on my bag target my pin just freezes right below it know matter how hard I try I can,t seem to bring it up to center the dot.When I first noticed I thought I was just tired probably was all but it is the same the last couple of days.The funny thing is I can draw my bow in the house without an arrow and can hold any pin dead center rock solid on a dime go back outside nock an arrow get ready to shoot and freeze about 2 inches below x again.This is driven me nuts!!Has anyone else had this happen before and if so how did you fix it.I still get good groups so I know it is not my anchor just low groups.Anyone else who has had this same problem and fixed it any input would be greatly appreciated!Thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 02:53 PM

Default RE: Is this target panic?

Yep, pre stages of target panic. I have the same thing, cant get the pin to go into the spot, so i freeze. If i tell myself not to shoot, then i can hold it right there. I tryd a thumb release, and it helped a little. I need to get a pure back tension release. Good thing you caught it early. Try moving closer to the target and getting use to shooting the proper style again. Then after while you can begin backing up. Once you start shooting 30 and 40 comfortably, the 20 yard shot seems not so tough anymore. Just dont keep shooting if you notice your doing this, its just enforcing a bad, bad habit. Tell us how it goes.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

O yeah you got it man!! It sucks! I have it now. What is working for me is switching to a backtention release.(like a week ago!) I couldn't take it anymore. Do a search on msn. Type in target panic, and read up. What you have is called goldshy. Some more info might follow. Goodluck!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:56 PM

Oh YEa - that be some Target Panic going on

Your mind knows that when the pin hits the X that you will shoot. Your mind is scared to miss, so it becomes very hard to get that pin up into the zone.

Has anyone else had this happen before and if so how did you fix it
Allmost all of us

Fix it................With a trigger release it can be very hard to fix - you may fight it for the rest of your life

A true back tension relese is IMO the best way to cure it.

All the "methods" and cures can take up a small library
Old 03-19-2004, 03:08 PM

Thanks guys for the help!I will go to my dealer and check out some of those back tension releases.Do you just shoot a back tension style to cure it and then go back to regular trigger type?
Old 03-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I FIRST switched to a release (last year), I thought I had the problem licked. WRONG!!!

I do the same thing now that you do when I'm shooting longer distances. One thing that I've tried that helps is repeatedly VISUALIZING the entire shot process from drawing through the arrow being in the target WITH THE PIN CENTERED ON THE BULLSEYE. After you've practiced this exercise over and over many times, your mind tends to repeat what it's "seen." I would skip practicing for a while until this picture is implanted in your mind and then start at short range and work from there.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never had the freeze-ups, but I've had my share of problems with another form of TP called snap shooting. Insidious stuff! Once it gets hold of you, it doesn't like to turn loose.

Changing to a back tension release MIGHT help, but it might not. Some guys say they started bringing the pin up above the spot and then letting the pin down into it, rather than trying to force the pin up. But you've got to be careful to not let that develop into 'driveby shooting', trying to slap the shot off as the pin goes through the dot.

Others just gave up and sighted in their bows to use a 6 o'clock hold.

Get within 10 yards of your target and use a great big spot, big enough your pin can't freeze under it. Relax! Trust your equipment. Don't try to force the pin to hold perfectly steady. It's going to wiggle and wobble some - that's assuming you're human. Let the pin float around the dot. It will find center when your release goes off.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 PM

I've had it for MANY years! I'm getting better though, confidence is the key or lack of it. I love shooting at a blank bale or 3D target with no specific aiming point, just put the pin where I want the arrow to hit. With me I think it's my mind not wanting to cover up the exact point I want to hit. I've tried shooting with a small "ring" on my scope lense with good results but I don't have anything like that on my hunting bow. I don't want to go to a back tension release because for hunting, I want to have complete command of when the shot goes when shooting through an opening, when the animal turns, puts his head down, etc. Good luck and just have fun shooting, I've shot VERY well after I've had a few beers!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Good advice from all. Generally TP starts because the mind starts thinking of too many things at once, no matter how hard you try not too. I've battled it for several years now, it only affects me after shooting several arrows, then blam![:@]

Quick Reply: Is this target panic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.