Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Proper form when drawing your bow >

Proper form when drawing your bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Proper form when drawing your bow

Old 03-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Proper form when drawing your bow

What is the proper form when pulling your bow back? I spread both of my arms at the same time, like ripping a sheet. But, I have been experiencing some shoulder pain for a couple weeks in my right shoulder which is my bow arm. I tried to shoot on Saturday and couldn't even hold the pin steady, because my shoulder hurt so bad. Tonight I tried to pull my bow back, but this time I held my bow arm straight and just pulled with the release. It felt alot better, not great, but better than before. Which is the right way to draw a bow?
Old 03-17-2004, 08:25 PM

Default RE: Proper form when drawing your bow

Deer902 from what I have seen, and been told the push-pull method you use is the "proper" way to pull a bow. I've also been told whatever makes you comfortable and is easiest for you. Maybe it isn't how you are pulling the bow but more of how much weight are you pulling? Might trying reducing the poundage to where it is less painfull and work up to a higher poundage as you develope your archery muscles thru your upper body. But then, you haven't said how much weight so I am only guessing that you are pulling more than you should at the moment.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:45 PM

War, Ive been pulling 70 lbs since I started archery 5 years ago. I can pull it back pretty easily. I don't think shooting is how I hurt my shoulder. Although I may have to drop the pundage til I get this thing cleared up. I run a cemetery and have to chop out graves before they are dug. This winter was a tough one and I did alot of chopping through 10 inches of frost with an axe. Thanks for your response.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer902,
It doesn't matter that you can draw 70 pounds easily. As you stated, your work might be the main culprit causing the pain. But shooting high weight bows with the recoild and vibration just aggrivates it more, and will, in time need no root cause.
After being there and doing that, getting cortizone shots in the shoulders and elbows, I can honestly say it's a lot more fun shooting 55 and 60 pounds than it was 70. And there is no more pain other than the old age kind.
Think about it. You might have to bust your butt and abuse your body to make a living. You don't have to do the same with your hobbies. Hobbies are supposed to be fun.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:52 AM

I have also had problems with my sholder(sp). I am right handed and it was my left arm. I was shooting 300-400 arrows a week and it was wearing on me. My bow was set at 70lbs and I turned it down to 63#. Now, I am a pretty large guy at 6' and 275 pounds and drawing the weight was no problem, but is was wearing on me gradually.[] The guys in my bow club warned me that I did not need to shoot that much weight, but I am hard headed and kept it up. One of the other things that hurt me I think was the weight of the bow along with a 2' stab. and a long and heavy toxonics naildriver sight. ALL OR THOSE things matter.

I am not the only one in our club that has shoulder problems. On of the guys is a long time nationally ranked shooter and has the same type of problems. IMHO drop you bow weight and enjoy shootin. If it hurts it is not fun anymore and that is what we all shoot for isnt it?

citori
Old 03-19-2004, 08:44 AM

What kind of speed can I expect to lose if I drop the weight down to 65 or even 60 lbs? Right now at 70 lbs I'm at 273fps with a 27.5" draw, 65% let off, 400 grain Gold Tip 5575XT and shooting an 03 Razortec. I know speed isn't everything, but this is the first bow I've owned that put out decent speed and don't want to drop too low.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Will it matter what kind of speed your bow puts out when your shoulder gets so bad you can't shoot it? Your body is talking to you. Pay attention!

Go get the doctor to take a peek at your shoulder. When things you normally do start causing you pain, that's when you have to go to the doc. If he clears you to shoot, forget the speed and reduce the bow's draw weight until it's comfortable to shoot.

I highly recommend you use the straight, set arm draw method that you started doing rather than that push pull thing you were doing. It's much easier on the shoulder joint.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I sure learned my lessons from shooting too much after developing tendonitis in my shoulder. Many archers ignor it. But I'll tell ya, I'm 38 now and I want to shoot at least another 40 years. So I made a lot of modifications in my practice and the types of bows that I use.

If your body is telling you something, listen to it.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:41 AM

Arthur is correct and it is proper form.

You are changing from one muscle group to draw to another group to aim and that is detrimental to several things, one of which is repeatability. Try to get used to setting the bowarm in the aiming position before you draw.

BGFisher and BobCo have given you some wise words as well.

Alot of archers leave the sport because of those issues.

When it comes to paper and foam, they will never know the difference.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:11 AM

Thanks guys. I did go to the docs on Monday and he scheduled an X-ray and put me on some arthitic anti-inflammatory(never had to spell that word before) medicine. It hasn't helped much, but has taken the edge off a bit. I'll be dropping the poundage on my bow this weekend and trying the straight arm technique. Bad thing is, I just turned 30 last week. Too early in life to be dealing with stuff like this.

Quick Reply: Proper form when drawing your bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.