Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tiller question? Extreme VFT >

Tiller question? Extreme VFT

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tiller question? Extreme VFT

Old 03-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Tiller question? Extreme VFT

Well, I went and had the NV system put on my bow today. I got home and started test firing it and was hitting 14 inches right and 15 inchs high. I take a closer look and my nock point is 5/8 inch low. I cut the d loop off and tie a new one on in the right spot and move my kisser and peep up.

I bottom the limbs out and give them both 1 1/2 turns out so it is set at 65 pounds.

I then measure my tiller and it was 3/16 inch off from top to bottom. I adjust them untill they are the same. Now the top limb is 3/4 turn out farther than the bottom limb. I can't even them out and still have it set at 65 pounds with an even tiller. What is the problem here? How could installing them throw every thing off so far? Should I keep the tiller even or bottom the limbs out and back them out evenly?
Thanks.

Here are pics.

Top limb

Bottom limb

Old 03-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tiller question? Extreme VFT

Also when the tiller was off I had a good deal of noise coming from the string after the shot. Since I evened them back out it is wisper quiet.

When I adjusted the tiller I gave equal and oppisite turns on each limb to level it out.

I didn't just crank the one out to even them.

But how could they be so different to be equal.

Am I just having a brain fart about setting the tiller and forgetting something? Or is there a poblem here????
Old 03-11-2004, 07:50 AM
nub

Hows you cam rotation? Brace and AtoA to factory specs?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am unsure how you are measuring tiller however, on traditional style single cam bows, it is better to tie a string between both axles and then measure from the tied-in string to the limb base rather than measure from the bowstring to the limb base. The reason is that the idler wheel and single cam are usually of different diameters and thus the bowstring is at a slight angle. This can/does throw off tiller measurements.

I would bottom out both limbs and then back them off equal turns and measure using the method I described above.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like the string or cable was untwisted before being reinstalled. Measure ATA and brace height. Are they in or out of spec? To measure tiller, run a string from axle to axle and measure from the limb pocket. Don't measure to the bow string. I'd also check to make sure the limb rockers were put back in properly before shooting any more.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd also check to make sure the limb rockers were put back in properly before shooting any more.
That was my second thought after seeing how easy it would be to miss that when reinstalling the NV system on many bows....though I thought to eliminate the obvious first.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tied some serving on the axles and remeasured to make sure.

This isnt an actuall measurement of the tiller I butted the end of my bow square into the limb where it meets the pocket and checked where the string came in contact with the square. They are within a 1/16 or so.

Heres the pics.

Bottom
Old 03-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here are the other measurements

ATA measures 34 1/8
brace height 6 9/16
Old 03-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just did as you guys said.

I bottomed my limbs out and backed them out 1 1/2 turns and my tiller is now even but my limbs still look like the top pics. Where the top limb is out farther than the bottom. Is there something under the limb between the limb and limb pocket he could have left out of one???

I really don't want to drive all the way back there unless it is something the bow needs pressed for. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:35 PM
nub

Look to see if the rocker is out on top. Should see a little black shim when you look at the back side where the limb comes out of the limb pocket. Sits a groove between the limb and the pocket.

Quick Reply: Tiller question? Extreme VFT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.