Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help!! Frustrating left nock tear!!! >

Help!! Frustrating left nock tear!!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help!! Frustrating left nock tear!!!

Old 03-09-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Help!! Frustrating left nock tear!!!

Just got my new Outback with a Bodoodle Pro-Lite Rest. Having all kinds of trouble getting it tuned. Shooting nock left tear about 1/2 to 3/4 inch at 5 yds every time. I moved the rest in as far as it had adjustment for, still tears left. Shooting 60lbs with a 29in draw right handed,shooting xt5575 gold tips and also trying a lighter spined Pse 300 carbon arrow, not much help. I am reasonably sure I am not torqueing it as I can shoot bullet holes with my other two bows that have the exact same rest. Any suggestions???
Old 03-09-2004, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Help!! Frustrating left nock tear!!!

Sounds like fletching contact to me !
Old 03-09-2004, 02:31 PM

I am reasonably sure I am not torqueing it as I can shoot bullet holes with my other two bows that have the exact same rest
Same rest does not mean same grip. Mathews grips are IMO prone to torque and left tears. If you cannot adjust windage to get rid of tear - Suspect contact first, grip second, then spine.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:08 PM

What can I do about grip?? I have two Bowtechs that I grip the same way I am this Outback and have no problem. I have shrink tube on the prongs , so if the fletching was making contact I would imagine there to be black streaks on the plastic vanes that were making contact.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:04 PM

ohio,

somebody correct me if I am wrong here but it sounds to me like you are moving the arrowrest the wrong way. If you are tearing to the left you should move the arrowrest to the left, I think. It sounds to me like you were moving it toward the riser when you maybe should have been going away from it. Sorry if I'm wrong.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:52 AM

When paper tuning and you are getting tears that require moving string- nock or rest, always move the component opposite of nock tear. In most cases, if fletch/vane tear is up, move nock down. If tear is down, move nock up. If fletch/vane tear is left, move rest right. If fletch/vane tear is right, move rest left. In some cases, moving the string-nock and rest may require that you adjust to the same direction as the "tear."

However, do not misconstrue that I am saying that adjusting the position of the string nock and/or rest is all you need to do to solve any "tear" problem. Solving "tear" problems (arrow flight) may require an adjustment of one or several components, which includes arrow spine and your shooting form.

Additionally, there are some other adjustments that are rarely listed in the paper tuning troubleshooting steps that might correct a "tear" problem when the "standard" methods do not.

For example:

- I once was getting a "high tear," and nothing in the standard troubleshooting methods would cure the problem. I eventually tracked the problem to the tension setting of my rest (I use GFK Rover and Golden Premier) rests.

I had changed the prong group (prongs and shaft) on the rest to a newer style. Although I marked the setting of the prong group that I removed, the new group did not accept the same setting as the one I had removed. Consequently, the rest tension was too weak. Although weakening the tension of the rest is one method that can cure a nock-high tear, I discovered that that the rest was partially collapsing at full draw. When I fired, the down pressure (release shooter) caused the rest to fall, which caused the fletch and nock end of my shaft to smack the rest, which then kicked the nock end of my shaft up.

I cornered the problem when I discovered that the nock high tear only occurred when 10 yards from the paper, but disappeared at 21 yards. That led me to look for a contact problem that was minimal enough to allow the arrow fletch to stabilize the shaft when given enough distance to do so.

- On another occasion, I decided to experiment with a "Martin" prong rest that came on both of 2 new Martin bows I purchased. This particular rest had prongs that flexed independent of each other. I was getting right/left tears and none of the standard trouble shooting methods would cure the problem.

I finally boiled the possible causes down to being a contact problem, and also detected that a side pressure on the shaft could be intermittently occurring, but should not have (side pressure) being I was shooting with a release and a center-shot rest.

What I discovered was that the tension on the left prong of the Martin rest was much weaker than the right prong. The left prong would flex downward before the right prong could react. This caused my shaft to roll off the right prong, putting most of the down pressure on the left prong. This phenomenon then caused the right prong to ride against the side of my shaft, creating a quasi-pressure button affect, and allowed the right fletch to clip the right prong. Put my trustworthy GFK on and the problem was solved.

- Another time I was having right-left tear problems when shooting a Pro series Martin "Firecat." I was adjusting right/left alignment of the rest to the point that the "centering" of the rest was too far left and then too far right. Everything pointed to a torque problem. However, I rarely torque. In fact, I shoot with such a loose grip, I have had bows jump out of my hand.

I eventually tracked the cause to the custom grip on the bow. The grip (wood) was larger than I prefer, and had a large "palm swell." Regardless that I was not torquing the bow, the design of the grip caused a natural torquing when I drew the bow. I resized and reshaped the grip, and the problem was cured.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly every new bow is a potential new tuning adventure. Grip torque is one of those things that can frustrate your efforts to get a good tune. I actually have two bows that will not shoot well through paper, or with bare shaft arrows, unless I grip the bow with some firmness, and curling my fingers around the front of the grip. If I use a loose grip, the bows give me a pretty bad right tear.[:@]

My experiences have been about the same as C903 as far as height and nocking point. As far as the left-right component, what he says about tears is what I have found to be true with a bare shaft arrows, and where they are hitting. When I am getting a left tear while paper tuning (rare for me), I usually have to move my rest to the left to get rid of it, not to the right. Again though, every bow is a law unto itself as far as adjustments are concerned, at least AFAICT. www.bowjackson.com has the Easton tuning guide and other helpful info.

I probably should not be on the technical forum "bantering", but I am just trying to help. [8D]

If you can't get the bow tuned properly, you should probably visit a qualified pro shop and seek their assistance.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:00 AM

JOE PA:

You are not "bantering." Telling about personal experiences with problems and solutions is just as instructive ....sometimes more so, as providing technical info.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I probably should not be on the technical forum "bantering", but I am just trying to help.
I agree with c903. Why this use of terminology? I feel reassured when I see that others have had the same issues/problems as I have.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank:

The answer to the question can be found in a multi-page thread that you yourself started!

Seek the path to BE the ultimate moderator!

Quick Reply: Help!! Frustrating left nock tear!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.