Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

WHYnewisBetter

Old 03-02-2004, 07:45 PM

Default WHYnewisBetter

I seen the "new" matthews bows and wonderd 2 things, why is new better?, and what is it that you are gaining?.
Now dont get me wrong have shot matthews for years had an ultralight and now own a mq1. But why as a new hunting bow cost so much with so little to gain. Looking at the numbers of most bows they seem to have gotten heavier and maintained the same speed...so what have we gained?
I am just try to put it into things prespective.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: WHYnewisBetter

For one you have warranty !and you get the most up to date modifications and changes . If you decide to trade in the following season you'll get a better buck for it . I think the new bow's have come a long way when it comes to drawing smoothness and vibration's compared to previous years .I know your bow is a good one and to upgrade I agree is it worth the extra $$$$$ and your bow to upgrade, maybe not ! But that's your choice .I feel if you don't upgrade at least every other year you might as well hang on to your bow because you won't get what you feel is fair value .But definetly new gear isn't all that different to justify the amount of $$$ you have to put out to update .

nubo

nubo
Old 03-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

New is definitly not always better IMO. Guys have been killing deer dead with bows older than I am for years. They kill as just as well as a new bow. Every year manufacturers come out with new products that may or may not be better. Thats where we come in, the buyers. Sometimes companies do come out with technology that is "better" than previous designs. Cams designs are moving forward all the time making the bow more efficient and quieter. Same goes for riser and limb designs. Bowtech has made a name for itself with the parellel limb design. It does a great job. Hoyt, same way with the riser deal. It does its job well.

Basically, it depends on what you want a bow to do. If you shoot only Mathews bows and don't see the big advantage to the newest lineup, don't buy, I wouldn't. But if there are breakthroughs in the design that truely do make the bow better than what you have and you want it, go for it.

Me, I'm settling down myself. I am going to go on a three or four year rotation. It seems thats about how long it takes these days for a new bow to really be a big difference from latter years models.

I know, I say that now.......wait till next year.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with ya 100% muzzyman.

I told my wife that I wouldn't have to buy a new one for 3 or 4 years but I'm already thinking about next season's new bow's.

nubo
Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 PM

It depends on how old your current bow is. If you choose your bows wisely, they shouldn't fall too far behind for about 10 years. Most people upgrade after only a year or two, either because they made a bad choice with their current bow or they just like new things and have the money to burn. In general, if you upgrade frequently, you are gaining very little for your dollars.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would tend to agree with the others. From a practical standpoint there is not that much difference between many of today's bows and bows from five years ago. However, it is in the refinements where you will see the change. Many of today's designs are more durable because of the specific component materials or design of the components.

Will a brand new bow kill a deer "better" than one from five years ago?

Probably not.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:45 AM

I can't respond to this without writing a book !

So I agree with PA......it's all in the refinements and details !
Old 03-03-2004, 01:47 PM

Thanks Guys my Thoughts are about on the same lines....maybe I'm just getting older.