Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Release suggestions >

Release suggestions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release suggestions

Old 02-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Release suggestions

I was kicking the idea around about trying another release. Nothing wrong with my current TruBall glove, but would like to try something different. I was looking at some of the TruBall T-handle styles like the xtreme and so forth. They use a thumb trigger mechenism, or can be used pure back tension. I also looked at the Copper John Eagle four finger release. It looks pretty good too.

Is there an advantage to using a thumb trigger over an index style?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Release suggestions

The advantage of a thumb trigger over an index is the ability to remove your index finger from the equation. In other words they are harder to punch and therefore make it easier to shoot a bow closer to it's full potential........and that's a surprise release. That can only be achieved by shooting back tension.
Not saying that it's impossible to shoot an index release with back tension, it just takes a heck of a lot more discipline to do so, and more than I have from shot to shot.
If your current method of release doesn't mildly/pleasantly surprise you, your release arm isn't "Popping" backward at the shot, you are gripping the release body, or only your index finger moves at release,........then chances are you aren't shooting anywhere close to your accuracy potential.

Now......with all that said and we're all ready to round file our index releases, they (Thumb triggers)can have a decided disadvantage when hunting.
Sometimes a quick shot is necessary when hunting, where PINPOINT accuracy isn't necessary, shots where you NEED to punch a trigger to a degree. Thumb triggers make me nervous in a treestand for all their accuracy......they typically have very light no travel triggers, are slower to fire in a proper shot sequence, and if not connected to your wrist via some cord........you could drop it.[:-]

As much as I LOVE thumb trigger releases for target/3D.....that's all that I will ever use. I would never(Unless an emergency) use my thumb trigger releases for hunting.
I take that back.......I WOULD shoot one for Pronghorn.
I strive to shoot my index releases with back tension and a surprise release, but I am willing to give up my highest accuracy potential in favor of VERY GOOD accuracy in a more hunter friendly design that I get from an index release. I also want the option to MAKE the release go off EXACTLY when I need it to, and that's easier with an index.

My advice if you want to play.......get a good thumb trigger style. Learn to shoot it with back tension only. (The first bunch of shots are a treat.) See just how accurate they are, shoot some good 3D scores with it, and then learn how to shoot your index release with back tension for hunting.

Try the Tru-Balls I think their thumb triggers are OK, but they feel a bit clunky to me....I personally prefer Carter thumb trigger releases. They feel like butter in the hand, and have a model to fit pretty much any hand style or finger pattern you would like.
Head to a shop and ask to handle all of them.......one will stand out.
My personal favorites are the "Just Cuz" 3 finger, "Insatiable" 4 finger , or the "Target 4"
Old 02-26-2004, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

I will agree with Matt with regards to the accuracy of the hand held type release. I for one am very prone to punching the trigger on my wrist strap, but don't seem to have the problem with my hand held. The point about the wrist strap type having an advantane in a hunting situation I think is a matter of opinion and familiarity. I have shot both in the field and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Obviously the wrist strap type simply can't be dropped, however Carter makes a verson called the BK hunter with a wrist strap and an open hook that is just the ticket for hunting.

As Matt mentioned, trigger sensitivity is a big issue with the hand helds. A release that is set optimially for spots and 3D will be waaaaaaaay too sensitive for use in a hunting situation. Just bump the trigger and that baby will fire. To that end, most of the guys I know who shoot the hand helds for hunting have at least one that is dedicated to hunting. It normally has the trigger sensitivity turned way down in the case of TruBall releases, or the medium or heavy springs in the case of the Carters. When you get into your stand, cock the release, clip it on your loop and just let it hang from the bow.

With regards to the selection of which release you like, just go out and try as many of them as you can. For the longest time, I lusted after a Carter Insatiable. I thought it was the "Be all...end all" of releases. After I got it, I realized that while it is a quality product, and Carter is just a great company to deal with, the release did not feel "right" in my hand. I ended up settling on a TruBall Trail Boss. With regards to the quality, I think that the quality of the TruBall is every bit as good as the Carters. The triggers break clean with no creep or takeup and the fit and finish is on par with the Carters.

Forget the brand names and what everybody else is shooting, try a bunch out and just pick the one that feels best in your hand. Carter, TruBall, Copper John, Cascade, etc....who cares. If it shoots more accurately for you, then go for it.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:04 AM

First any type of release can be shot using "back tension" or correctly. I used a wrist scap index finger release for several years and was quite proficient with it. I started usinf thumb trigger releases for target shooting and once I made that change, I started hunting with them as well and was very successful using them. The best way to set this type of release is heavy (for the pressure to make it release) -- this goes for target shooting as well as hunting. Most top shooters (there are a few exceptions) set there releases heavy, even with 2 extra heavy springs. Your choices are good ones for this type release -- the Truballs and Carters are both excellent. I do not like the one Truball version that has the trigger travel.

That being said, I can still easily "jump on" thumb activated releases and I tend to do so more than I would like to -- thus I have gone to triggerless (back tension) releases for all my target shooting. I may actually go back to and index finger release for hunting this upcoming year. I don't shoot that type of release frequently, however since I have not shot this type for so long, I have basically re-learned how to shoot one when I try one. I believe that shooting pure BT releases has trained me on how the shot should be executed and I do not have any urges to move my index finger at all when shooting these releases now. I prefer a no travel trigger mechanism set heavy. A lot of guys like Tornado releases but the trigger travel plays havoc with me. Tru-fire has a new release out that is really slick that I think I will try it. It has adjustable travel down to zero, adjustable sensitivity from hair to very heavy, and the head rotated in front of the trigger so no matter how you anchor, you will not have to fish around for the trigger -- it will be at you finger all the time. This also eliminated any torque applied to your D-loop or string. And you can open the jaws with the trigger mechanism to attach it. It seems to have everything, including their new strap.