Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fiber optic pin breaking. >

Fiber optic pin breaking.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fiber optic pin breaking.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:07 AM

Default Fiber optic pin breaking.

I have two Cooper John Pro sights. In the last few weeks I have had the RED fiber optic material on three pins snap off at the head of the pin. I stole a RED pin from my second sight to see if it was just a bad batch on that particular sight but it happened again. The dealer said CJ is sending new pins. No problem. I just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem? I'm shooting a Merlin Omega cam so it's not a vibration problem. I slso put a sims small dampener on the sight just incase there was some vibration and it still snaped. I've had other sights with .019 pins and never had this problem. I'm calling CJ today to see if it's a problem with the .019 pins and RED in particular. Jerry
Old 02-24-2004, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fiber optic pin breaking.

I've had my CJ Pro around a few 3-D shoots and haven't yet (knock on wood) had any problems with the pins. I do plan to get that scope cap they're getting ready to offer so that it won't (knock on wood) ever be a problem.

Fritz
Old 02-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got some CJ sights and haven't had any problems with fibers breaking. They are fragile on the .019 pins. I've broken a few moving the pins but, none from shooting. For hunting, I like the .029 pins. They're tougher and brighter.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:06 AM

I own a Copper John Dead Nuts Pro with the .19 pins and had the same thing happen with the red pins. Both red fibers broke. I wrote copper john and told them the situation and they sent me a totally new set of fibers no questions asked. As far as I coult tell they just broke from shooting. I was shooting a 3D rounds at the time so I might have caught them on some brush but I was very careful because I knew they were delicate. But as soon as the C.U.P. comes out I will be buying one. Right now I have a small cloth cover I made to go over it. Contact Copper John, I'm sure they will help you out, Their customer service is excellent.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:23 PM

I had the same problem with mine too. What I did is take some 5 min clear epoxy and use it to fill in the gap between the fiber and the pin. I do alot of hunting in thick stuff,(moose hunting) and was allways breaking a fiber by sticks or what-not, but since I have tried the epoxy trick I have not broke any, and the pins are as bright as they allways were.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:34 PM

OK here's an update. I talked to Stan from Cooper John and he said they are having a problem with the straight pins. The 90 degree angle that the fiber makes is too sharp and it breaks with vibration. A temperory fix would be to tape the fiber to the pin. I like Bearguys idea better with epoxy. He did say don't use super glues or simular products. That would be to brittle and won;t fix the problem. This only happens with the .019 and they are working on a solution. He didn't elaberate but he is sending me some replacement fibers. He also said the new covers are being sent out to dealers in a couple weeks. They work like a scope cover. Jerry
Old 02-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard of F/O pins that break when shooting, but I've seen several break in the field after being smacked on brush.
To prevent this, I switched to Tru Glow's tritium pins that have the hollow space between the fiber and the pin filled with a clear plastic 'fin'. It supports the fiber very well and seems to be quite durable. I consider this arrangement a must for hunting. Montana Black Gold also has pins like this.

Good luck.