Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight Pin

Old 01-05-2002, 07:54 AM

Default Sight Pin

HI,
I'm a newbie to the sport and left handed. My sight pin is not lined up with the centre of my arrow rest, its about a 1/2 inch to the right. Is this wrong, if I'm still hitting the Bullseye at 30 yards?
Thanks
Old 01-05-2002, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sight Pin

Yep, something's not right. The pin should be pretty closely aligned with the arrow as it sits on the rest. Give us some details about your setup: What arrows you have (length, size and tip weight), what bow you're shooting, what draw length and what draw weight, mechanical release or fingers.

Eyeball the string into alignment with the grooves in the cam(s) and down the center of the bow's handle. Then look at the arrow. If you're shooting release, the string should split the arrow from nock to point. If you're shooting fingers, the tip of the arrow should be just visible to the right of the string (for a southpaw).

If your arrows are properly matched to your bow and your centershot is set properly, then it would boil down to a shooting form problem, but let's go one step at a time and check the setup first.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply; I'm shooting a Jenneing Buckmaster 2000s @55 lbs/28.5 inch draw with a mechanical release. My arrows are 100 grain Easton alum. XX75 2314 30 inches.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2002, 10:04 AM

I agree with Arthur that the pins should be in line the the centershot of the bow. There might be some slight differences cause by your anchor position like shooting with glasses vs. not, but not much. You do need to eliminate the bow setup problems first before working on form.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

2314 is the stiffest arrow for 55 pounds @ 30" on the charts. Since you're actually drawing 1 1/2" shorter than that, I'd say you're considerably overspined. Also, your front of center balance (which partly determines how stable your arrow is in flight) is around 9%. That's fine for field points, but could give you problems with broadheads.

I would suggest going to a 29" 2215 and a 125 grain head. You would gain a whopping 5 grains of arrow weight with that setup. Practically negligible. But your FOC would be nearly 11%. Much better for broadheads, in my opinion.

That's likely part of your problem, but it doesn't totally explain why your sight pin is way to the right. I suspect your centershot needs to be adjusted to the left. Do you have a pro shop in your area or an experienced shooter that you could get some first hand help from?
Old 01-05-2002, 12:51 PM

OK, I've lined up my sight pin with the centre of my rest and the rest is lined up with the string, but now instead of hiting the Bullseye I'm 8 inches to the right, with the setup b4 i was ushally dead on.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try this. Stick a piece of masking tape across each limb, about halfway between the end of the riser and the axle. Measure from the arrow rest side of the limb to the face of the cam, then measure from the face of the cam to the center of the string. Add the two together and then mark that distance on the tape. Then do the same thing on the idler wheel end. That will give you a better visual reference for lining the string up with the center of the bow. It won't get you exactly in the right spot, but it is a good starting point.

You do need to get that bow to shooting arrows right down the middle though. Sometimes it takes more than a little tweaking, even a little cussing sometimes, to get it right.

You should to go to Easton's website and check out their bow tuning guide.

www.eastonarchery.com

Another good place to get shooting and tuning tips is at Pauls.

www.paulsarcherywebsite.co.uk/

I sure wish I was there to give you a hand in person, allunit. It's really hard to figure out exactly what to do without being able to see the bow, the arrow flight and your shooting form. All we can do heere is suggest things to try. If all else fails, you can move everything back the way it was until you can get some face to face help.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is not unusual w/ most newer bows. Many of them have grips offset from the centerline of the riser. Recent Jennings bows, and the BM in particular has it's optimum range of centershot pretty far out from the riser. This is why your pin sits farther out.

I have not owned a bow in years that the pins lined up perfectly w/ the centershot, even though they paper fine.

If you bow papers well at 2 different distances, and you are hitting the bull, I wouldn't change a thing.

You can mess around a bit w/ arrowspine to get them to line up better, but you must keep in mind that even though single cam bows will paper well w/ several different shaft sizes, they rarely shoot the normal to weaker spines as accurately. Stiffer arrows group better out of onecams.

JeffB
Old 01-05-2002, 04:46 PM

This isnt right. your rest and sight should be lined up.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:16 PM

allunit78,

There are some good archery clubs around your area that I am sure you can get some exccellent help with getting your setup correct.
The one that I know of the best is York County Bowmen, I believe they also have a website that you can get contact info from.

Quick Reply: Sight Pin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.