Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Brace height question >

Brace height question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Brace height question

Old 02-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Brace height question

In my quest to find my perfect bow, I have all but fallen in love with the Hoyt Supertec. My biggest concern is the 6" brace height, not so much for string/arm inteference but more for shootability reasons. If all of the hype about fall away rests is true, then low brace height bows should be just as easy to shoot as average brace height bows wouldn't they? I think the argument has always been that the arrow is on the rest and being pushed by the string for a longer duration therefore any torque or flinching induced by the shooter has a greater possibility of affecting the arrow flight correct? Could someone clear this up for me if I'm wrong?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 04:31 PM

Default RE: Brace height question

I'm more concerned with string slap on my coat during cold weather. I chose the 8.25 brace height Protec. Those couple of inches can be huge when shooting with heavy clothing. The next bow I buy will have an even higher brace height.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If all of the hype about fall away rests is true, then low brace height bows should be just as easy to shoot as average brace height bows wouldn't they?
NO WAY
Old 02-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the argument has always been that the arrow is on the rest and being pushed by the string for a longer duration therefore any torque or flinching induced by the shooter has a greater possibility of affecting the arrow flight correct?
Longer duration or longer distance?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:14 PM

In my experience I think the wrist slap issue has alot to do with the form of the person shooting the bow combined with the brace height. Some people can get away with it and some cant. I personally can not go below 6.5
Old 02-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

NO WAY
Would/could you elaborate on this instead of just offering "no way" as an explanation? I'm really trying to understand ALL of the advantages of the fall away rests and what effects it has on the way the bow shoots.

Wouldn't it be the same? If the powerstroke of the bow is longer then in my mind the string would be in contact with the arrow for a longer duration which would be longer time as well.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike.

In theory the rest has dropped when most torquing happens.

On most fallaway rests the arrow is only in contact with the rest for about 2" then it should be out of the way.

The main problem people come up against with short brace bows is wrist slap but what a lot tend to over look is the fact that along with the low brace they are also shooting a draw lenght that is too long and are forced to lock their elbow.

The trick is to get the proper draw lenght so you are shooting with a slight bend in the elbow thus taking the string away from your fore arm.

Keep a loose grip all the way through the follow through and let the bow roll forward that should stop a lot of the death grip induced torque.

I have found with proper draw lenght and form there is no real big difference from shooting a 5 5/8" and a 7 7/8" brace bow.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

I think that the idea that "proper form" can be adequately maintained in all hunting situations is where I have a problem with a low brace height bow for hunting. Unless you have a real short draw even with a drop away, the power stroke is longer on the shorter brace height bows and will attenuate form flaws. Hunting doesn't require accuracy so much as it requires forgiveness. Today with the powerful offerings that have a forgiving brace height i don't really see the need for the additional power that a lower brace height offers. Maybe for 3-d for someone who really has their form down and wants the extra speed to help with range estimation, there is an arguement. I don't see it for hunting. I think you need to think about what your needs are as a hunter and have the bow match those needs.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

The main problem people come up against with short brace bows is wrist slap but what a lot tend to over look is the fact that along with the low brace they are also shooting a draw lenght that is too long and are forced to lock their elbow.
Something else to consider is that normally when you are dealing with a low brace height bow then you are also dealing with a riser that has alot of reflex in it. A reflexed riser is also more sensitive to torque induced by the shooter before or during the shot.

quote:

Wouldn't it be the same? If the powerstroke of the bow is longer then in my mind the string would be in contact with the arrow for a longer duration which would be longer time as well.
Yes and No. If the powerstroke is longer then the arrow should, theoretically, be traveling faster. If the arrow is traveling faster then it should cover that distance in a quicker time. I don't have the mathematical figures to show you this but Vic, 500 fps, actually posted it some time ago on another forum. The two factors sort of cancel each other out for the most part....which leaves only the issue of the actual physical distance.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would/could you elaborate on this instead of just offering "no way" as an explanation? I'm really trying to understand ALL of the advantages of the fall away rests and what effects it has on the way the bow shoots.
My take = fallaway rests when setup properly eliminate fletching contact issues , they may allso make your bow MORE critical of spine and not LESS as they offer less suport to the arrow . This issue allso makes them More critical of nock travel . As far as brace height goes , a short brace bow is a short brace bow and , a long brace bow is a long brace bow . I belive you will be more accurate with a long brace bow [especialy if you have a longer draw length] with a prong type rest [without serious fletch contact] than you will be with a short brace bow with a fallaway . I believe it has more to do with the geometry of where the arrow is in relation to the pivot point of bowhand and grip at the time the arrow leaves the string, than the duration of time the arrow is on the string .

Quick Reply: Brace height question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.