Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 StarrFlight -New Fletch for Broadheads >

StarrFlight -New Fletch for Broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

StarrFlight -New Fletch for Broadheads

Old 02-17-2004, 08:25 PM

Default StarrFlight -New Fletch for Broadheads

Hello,
I am an aerospace engineer, avid bow hunter and the inventor of a new fletching system. I would like to share what I am doing and get feedback. However, I do not want to step out of line on this site. Is it okay for me to discuss my invention? I am just looking for some response about my idea and how it works not sales.

Thank you
Paul Morris, president
StarrFlight
Old 02-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: StarrFlight -New Fletch for Broadheads

Lets hear it.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:43 PM

Another aerospace engineer designed the MZE.

I'm listening.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:05 AM

Go ahead and tell us, All us tinker freaks love new stuff to try. It's kind of like our version of Crack, we just can't tinker enough.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:47 AM

I just took a look at your website (www.starrflight.com). A very nice website! I do have some questions/comments on your FOB. My comment would be that you probably don't want to shoot at the same spot on the target when you practice. It looks like you would destroy them pretty quickly if you would. Questions - How snuggly do the FOBs fit on the shaft? Do they start to slide down the shaft after repeated shots into a target? If they fit snug enough so they don't slide, won't that make them tough to pop off when shooting an animal and possibly HINDER pass-throughs? Do they pull the nock off as well when popping off the back (this would make it even harder for them to pop off)? Finally, have you done cold weather testing? Does the material become brittle at lower temps?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:11 AM

Looks like the RazorRing at the 'other' end.

If the FOB has enough holding pressure to keep it from coming off the shaft at the acceleration mode of 0 to +200 MILES PER HOUR, it therefore de-accelerates the arrow on impact with the animal. This would cut down on the 'pass-through' velocity. While the offsetting forces may be incidental on 'fast' arrows, I question the effect on much slower arrows.

The crosswind issue has always been very questioned. I would be careful in making claims like this. The crosswind influences the entire shaft. While I see your point, I don't think it applies too much in the short distances encountered during most hunting scenarios.

You state that it can only be used with drop-away rests. We have a lot of problems with slight fletching interference with many 'fast bow' set-ups. A "slight fletching interference" problem with your product would be disastrous. Have you tried to make smaller diameter products with more length?

I could go on with my questions; but, I'd like to see some answers to these first.

Thank you.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe I'm missing something, but this looks like a similar concept to the whole Turbo nock idea.
Am I wrong?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:20 PM

I appreciate the feedbacks it helps! Lots to talk about. I do not have much time as I am off the NFAA World Archery Festival in Vegas. (booth 44) I will be sure to catch up when I get back. I know the thing like a gimmick but it not.
Next week I will be sending out a few samples. You guys let me know who should get them.

A small group of my friends and I have been hunting with FOBs for about two years now. They really do work. That’s why I decided to market the thing. It attaches to your arrow with a standard ICS press in nock. There is a reduced portion of the back hub diameter to keep the FOB from sliding down the arrow shaft. My goal was not “how to make a buck” but rather "how do I get a Zwickey to fly"

What it does is allow hunters to accurately shoot large fixed blade broadheads even on windy days with complete control. When I go roving or target shoot, I find I loose less arrows and FOBs out last feathers 10 to 1. They are a one size fits all with a press in standard nock securing the FOB in place.

Everyone who has shot FOBs comment on increase penetration. Both with or without pass through. Easy to test. Just shoot through several pieces of cardboard (or fur) set up in front of your target and then let measure penetration in target. No comparison. The force required to pop off the nock is less than pulling fletching through the material. Because there is no clock feather, nock position is not critical therefore a tight nock is not necessary. If fact, you just want the nock to be a snug fit. Penetration is also deeper without pass through considerations. The FOB allows the arrow to retain more speed and therefore more energy. This effect is pronounced when the conditions are bad.

An engineered ridged airfoil vs. a piece of folding vane. Imagine blasting the fletch with a 300 fps air stream and a heavy head on front (leaving the string). Those vanes will be folding and chattering trying to get the arrow to spin up. I have seen it with my own eyes in the wind tunnel. Also I have a rig that allows my to hold on to both ends of the arrow and fly the thing while it spins. Chatter and folding can be felt big time (chart on tech page web site). That’s loss of energy. The FOB has a 70% reduced cross-section compared to vanes. Tail wobble almost eliminated. Just a matter of surface area. Yes the arrow is still there, but 70% of the rudder profile is gone. What makes the FOB different than Turbo Nocks and the like is the ring wing. Keeps things from chattering and provides enormous stability. (by a factor of 3).

Re: Cold weather - We have some in Alaska and the last report was ”–20 and 30mph cross wind. FOBs flying great”
FOBs are made of Nylon and are very heat/cold tolerant.

The FOB is very forgiving. If you have a bad release or target yep, the arrow stabilizes so quickly that instead of flying off and hitting crows, you will still be in the kill zone (folding fletch vs. ridged airfoil). Of coarse if it hits the arrow rest you’re in for a violent situation. (talk about getting the yeps!). With a good rest like drop zone, mirage, muzzy zero effect and the like that is not an issue and they shoot both size FOBs. With others it takes some fiddling with. We have some who converts standard prong rest to fall aways and shoots FOBs great. Reversing the spring and attaching a cord. Very clever!

Off to the Show and thanks again. Next week samples for the nay-Sayers (well a few of you anyway)
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Next week I will be sending out a few samples. You guys let me know who should get them.
Me!
I'd love to give them a shot.

5 Shot, Len in maryland, JeffB, Matt / PA, Arthur P, Rack-Attack would also all, IMO, be good choices for testing your product if they wanted to.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting concept. Sort of like the turbo nocks I have seen floating around. I am working on getting some turbo knocks and it would be nice to test the "side by side". to see what really works. I have some really big broadheads laying around. I think Len said it best when he said it looks like a razoring on the other end. I am not an arro space eningeer, Not sure I even spellen it right, but I do like to test stuff out and seperate the fact from fiction. If your intrested drop me a line at [email protected]

Quick Reply: StarrFlight -New Fletch for Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.