Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 terms and definitions >

terms and definitions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

terms and definitions

Old 02-10-2004, 05:50 AM

Default terms and definitions

Being new to the sport of 3d shoots and even bows, I need to have a term defined for me. I would like to know what the term "String walking or face walking " means.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: terms and definitions

Here you go:

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/shooting/walking/
Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: terms and definitions

That's a good article on string walking.

Face walking is the same principle. You still shoot 'point on' for each distance (point on is using the point of the arrow as a sight pin, putting the point in the spot you want to hit), but you're 'walking' your anchor to different points on the face for different yardages instead of walking the fingers up and down the string. For a real close shot, you might anchor up on your cheekbone, right under your eye. For a real long shot, you might be anchoring under your chin.

And you can use a combination of string walking and face walking, since they're closely related.

Both methods are illegal for shooting traditional and unaided classes in 3D, but they are legal to shoot in the sights classes. Both FITA and NFAA field archery have barebow classes specially for stringwalkers and facewalkers.

And then there is gap shooting, where you maintain the same anchor and fingers postion on the string for each yardage, but you learn where to orient the point of the arrow to the target for different yardages. On a close shot, the point will be well below the spot you're aiming at. At a certain yardage, you'll be 'point on'. Beyond that, the point will be a certain distance above the spot. You learn how far below or above the spot to hold the point in order to hit that spot.

When I shot competitive bowhunter class in field archery, string walking and face walking were not legal for the class, so I had a gap system. It was predicated on a 50 yard point on. I adjusted my arrow length, weight and speed to hit point on at 50 yards and figured my gaps from there.

There are all kinds of ways to shoot accurately without sights, but they all require a good bit more effort and dedication than sights do.