Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Liberty - tuning advice >

Liberty - tuning advice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Liberty - tuning advice

Old 02-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Liberty - tuning advice

OK y'all I'm a tuning newbie so don't be too harsh on me ;-)

I managed to get out today to shoot my liberty a good bit. I seem to be having some contact with one of the feathers but I am still able to shoot good tight groups. This contact is enough to be putting some pretty good wear on the feather though and I would naturally prefer no contact at all. I shoot at 73# using 28" GT XP's using a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest. The best I can tell they are making contact with the arrow holder that comes with the TT rest. The felt on there had tiny fragments of my orange feathers on it and the felt on the right edge of the arrow holder was also showing some wear. I shoot cock vane out. i am not sure if changing to cock vane up would help...it looks as though both of the other feathers would make contact then. Do you think I need to raise my nock set?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:06 PM

Default RE: Liberty - tuning advice

I too am having that same problem on my Liberty with the Shakey Hunter. Mine is tied into the cable slide, and I think that has a effect! I had my bow set-up and shooting great for almost a month, without any fletch contact at all, but when shooting today, I noticed the same thing. I am using duravanes and when shooting cock vane out, the bottom vane will "wrinkle" after the shot!

This week, I am gonna serve the TT into the down buss cable then get it tuned up!
Old 02-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

I am already served into the down cable. The rest comes up and good couple of inches before I reach my anchor point.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:11 PM

bowhuntr09, Yes, you need to move your rest up and maybe your nock point, sounds as if you are coming off too close to the shelf. I'm using the same rest on my Justice with the cock feather out, the only thing I had to do was move my rest into the second hole to get further left.
Take your time and there are plenty of guys on Archery Talk who can help too.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Highbow. The rest was already in the hole further left...that was the only way to even get close to center. I just checked and the rest was also in the fully down position. I raised it a bit and will see where that gets me. With my work schedule it will be Friday at the earliest before i get to shoot again. []
Old 02-09-2004, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had a similar problem with the TT Shakey Hunter on the Liberty and needed to move the entire rest and nockset higher in order to give the launcher arm enough room to get out of the way of the fletchings upon release.

That seemed to solve that particular issue.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:47 AM

That seemed to solve that particular issue.
Did you bare shaft or tune bh's after you moved the nock and rest up.

I am sure you remember, I had the same problems (still do to a small extent) with my Patriot.

I just don't want to see you guys get rid of fletching contact, by moving the nock high, then shoot field points real well for 7 months, only to find a more extensive problem when attempting to tune for broadheads before the season.

I don't know if its the vertical limbs or just real bad nock travel - but Bowtech's sure can have some tunning issues when it comes to dropaways.

Good luck
Old 02-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you bare shaft or tune bh's after you moved the nock and rest up.
No RA. I shoot mechanicals and eventually just took the rest off and put a GKF Infiniti back on it. Problem solved.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:10 AM

I have been battling the same issue on my 03 VFT with the Shakey Hunter. Cock vane up, and contact on the launcher. From what I have gathered from the website, and Jeff B, the nock travel on these bows does force the nock down. This is more true if not shooting at or near max draw weight. The problem is not that the rest does not drop away fast enough, but rather it needs to stay up just a fraction longer to compensate for nock travel before dropping out of the way of the fletchings. I have my rest fully up for nearly two inches. I set the rest up level in the shop, but had to drop it nearly 1/4 inch to get a clean paper tune. No way now I would read level, but the paper is good. I have also noticed that my groups have improved. I have not used foot powder spray to check, but I am seeing no wear on the new molesking on the launcher. I think I am heading in the right direction. And besides, Jeff B won't let me give up on this rest yet. Good luck.
Bill
Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 AM

make sure your "cock" vane is pointing up as well.

Quick Reply: Liberty - tuning advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.