Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Merlin makes beautiful bows. >

Merlin makes beautiful bows.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Merlin makes beautiful bows.

Old 01-04-2002, 10:38 PM

Default Merlin makes beautiful bows.

Since hearing about Merlin, I think I go to their site everyday to look at the Apex riser I am saving for. One thing I must say is that they make a really beautiful bow. I drool over the compounds day dreaming of the time when I am rich enough to buy, a max or one of the others for hunting. I just wanted to say that I beleive I will be a Merlin fan and shooter once I get the Apex riser in my hand and put some FX limbs on it. Its almost sick having to put Hoyt limbs on a Merlin LOL. But no one on the market has as smooth or good a limb as hoyt by the looks of things. But to end things, Merlin makes a beautiful bow.
good shooting all.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 01-04-2002, 11:40 PM

Default RE: Merlin makes beautiful bows.

I have heard the geometry and flex of the Merlin isn't compatible with the Hoyt FX limbs, you might want to check with an expert before doing that.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:44 PM

Really, hmmmm that really sounds like its gonna suck. AHHHH geez, I guess I have to figure out if It will work. CRAP, that really puts a kink in the neck. Oh could I ask who you heard this from? Thanks for letting me know, I should have to study up I guess.
Good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 01-05-2002, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

As a past owner of a Max 2000 I can tell you that yes they are a very well made bow,the craftsmanship and detail may very well be the best I ever saw. I feel the Merlin limbs were just as smooth as any other and now that they came out with the Pro-fusion limbs they may even be better.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

I agree totally. I tested the Max 2000 against some pretty stiff competition before I made my decision as to which bow I was going to use myself for target applications, (seeing as I am a dealer of many brands and have access to anything on the market) the first thing I noticed about the Max 2000 was the impeccable craftsmanship. Then I grabbed one and my thumb knuckle slipped into a nice little detail cutout. (no more callous!) I was impressed. Then when I shot it, it was a done deal. Within just a few minutes of setting it up with the shoot-through system, I was slamming X's consistently at 20 yds with far greater ease than any other bow I had shot in over 30+ years in this sport. Already being a dealer for them, I had already gotten first-hand experience of their great customer service, so basically the choice over other bows of similar design but with less attributes was rather easy.

The company continues to produce some of the finest equipment in the industry, and I am honored to be associated with them. After far too many "shady" dealings with manufacturers that lie about their products, delivery or repair times, and who you cannot get to return calls, (and therefore shall remain nameless) it has been a very refreshing experience for me and my customers with Merlin.

The new "Supernova" will be released hopefully within a month or so, and this will be another design that promises to fulfill all expectations. When coupled with the new Pro-Fusion limbs, I have no doubt that it will be a winning combination, just like the Max 2000 and the rest of the line. I personally don't know how one can really improve on the Max 2000, it's a great bow that fits a wide range of target applications.

Anyway, sorry to be long winded, but I've gotta say it's so great to have such craftsmanship and service at your fingertips! These guys know their stuff, and listen to what people want. Being all World-class shooters themselves they know how to build a bow that is engineered to do the job at hand, and they make sure you look good doing it, all with a smile and great service. Thanks to Merlin for all that they do, and if you haven't seen or tried one, you are missing out on a great experience. www.merlin-bows.co.uk (Sorry for the commercial!) Good shooting, P12
Old 01-05-2002, 10:17 AM

Pinwheel,
Would you happen to know the specs. on the super nova?
Old 01-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Not yet, everything is still being worked on. They've done ALOT of homework on this bow, and it will be built for extreme accuracy. (longer ATA and brace) That's all I can say about it currently. I'll post more as soon as I'm allowed to. P12
Old 01-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pinwheel, you talk so highly of the Max 2000 being the best target bow you have put your hands on,tell me what bow in the Merlin lineup do you feel is there best for hunting and why.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

I personally own the Hunter's Quest for it's many attributes related to hunting. I own the twin cam version, which according to the factory unfortunately did not gain enough sales after it's introduction early last year due to the hype of solocams here in the USA, and consequently has been dropped from the line for 2002. They will still offer the solocam version however, but even this will only be offered with the new Pro Fusion glass limbs, NOT the carbon. Merlin felt they should concentrate more on the target end of things. I don't know as I agree with them on all aspects of this decision,(roughly 20,000 target archers vs 2 million bowhunters here in the USA) but they're the bosses. As an additional footnote, Merlin has discontinued all of their "low-end" bows such as the Tempest and Shadow, and will concentrate only on making what they feel is the finest equipment available anywhere.

OK, back to the Hunter's Quest. I feel this little bow is a hunter's dream. It is lightweight, and it's 31 1/2" ATA makes it very compact for treestand hunting or packing in through tight cover. My twin cam is the quietest twin cam I've ever shot,with an ultra-smooth draw cycle. I've put it right next to my sons' MQ1 and it is just as quiet or even a shade quieter with all of the same whiskers and silencers.(according to bystanders) Of course, the solocam is even quieter still. NICE.

For a short bow, it has a nice sight window, and is extremely accurate. I especially like the locking limb pockets with rubber vibration-isolation membrane, and recurve limbs for their smoothness. All other parts are typical Merlin, top of the line and built to exacting tolerances.

For treestand work, remote fly-in hunting, or whatever hunting scenario comes your way, it'll do the job. Prices are very good, as well. That's it in a nutshell. Just my own thoughts, P12

Edited by - Pinwheel 12 on 01/05/2002 20:28:08
Old 01-05-2002, 07:24 PM

Pinwheel: If you read the post up at the top about the FX limbs not fitting the Apex riser would you think it was true, If you know of or could let me know from your experience why they arent compatible could you please let me in on why not, I have emailed Ben on the subject, Im sure he will email me quickly as he has been.
If it doens't work out with the FX limbs then to heck with hoyt, Ill find another limb. Thanks, Good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->

Edited by - 55#recurve on 01/06/2002 02:06:31

Quick Reply: Merlin makes beautiful bows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.