Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question for Len or others;  New Dartons at ATA? >

Question for Len or others; New Dartons at ATA?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question for Len or others; New Dartons at ATA?

Old 01-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for Len or others; New Dartons at ATA?

Just wondering how you found the new Dartons. I have seen some pics on Archery Talk, and the Tundra and Typhoon looked very interesting. Since you shot the Merlin Max-Xtreme, how does the Avalanche and Typhoon compare to it? Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 08:04 AM

Default RE: Question for Len or others; New Dartons at ATA?

Joe:

To respond would be a totally personal perspective. I won't answer that question when my customers come into the store, let alone answer it on the internet.

Like I tell my customers, try before you buy. That's one reason why I try to carry many brands in my shop. You have to find a shop that carries several brands/styles/models so that you can try them 'side by side'. Trying to travel from one shop to another to try different bows does not give you the same perspective.

I, however, am cutting back on my product offering. I have been plagued with shoppers who want to test bows in my shop and then go elsewhere to buy from a 'basement bandit' or discount house for a few bucks savings. While my service business is thriving, I can't continue to invest money for a service that does not produce earnings. Bottom line is that too many people in this economic crunch have to look at the savings rather than the service. There are also too many people who 'think' they know more than a good PRO Shop. There are too many people who try to 'use' a good thing.

I just had a customer in yesterday who had his bow so screwed up, it was almost laughable. He had ordered a cam to shorten his draw length when he didn't need a shorter draw length, the wrong size string, the wrong size cable, and brought the bow in with his portable press still attached.[&o] I got him totally squared away, except for the wrong cam. He'll have to get another cam, but the new string and cable will fit. He paid the bill and thanked me for the education.

As I am sure, you and many others have noticed that I don't post as often. I don't get paid on information shared here on this and other forums. I can also hurt other PRO Shops by giving away information. I don't want to appear as not compassionate; but, too many times I have been in a comprising situation with my peers.

I apologize for appearing to 'vent' on you. It is NOT you personally. I have answered many of your posts in the past. It has just gotten to be such a burden in many respects that I, and many others, have backed off on responding. Unlike many others, I'm very outspoken about things like this.

I will continue to post on various topics that will not adversely influence my business or that of other PRO Shops; but, my posts have been and will be tempered and selective. I am always there to promote the sport of archery. I teach all the time at the local, national and international level. I assist in ways you couldn't even imagine to help in this sport. I feel that I must, however, limit my posts for the sake of the PRO Shops - all PRO Shops.[&o]

Just last week I conducted a seminar at the ATA Show. My topic was tools and how to use them to tune bows. My seminar was attended by 110 other Dealers (a large gathering) who had a lot of questions. While I taught, I also listened and learned. We all had a great exchange of ideas and I hope that some of them filter down to your local PRO Shop.

Thank you for your understanding and bearing with me. It's a PROfessional thing, IMPO.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Len,

Maybe you should stop letting guys "try before you buy" if they're going elsewhere to buy after wasting your time!
It's not done here in Louisville and, frankly, I don't blame the shop owners.
The owner or employees will let you shoot their bows but that's it.
One shop even has cables running through each bow so you can't even remove them from the rack and draw them back.
They got tired of them being dry fired by idiots. LOL
No, I don't support my local shops as far as buying bows but that's because none of them carry my custom Bowman or Merlin bows.

Sag.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:41 AM
CG

Len,
I completely understand where you are coming from. I, for one, have been very greatful. I, because of my location, have to be my own bow mechanic and have become functional at it thanks to you and others help.

We have one pro-shop in my area and they sell one type of bow (Hoyt). Then we have another (quite a bit farther away) that operates out of his house (Mathews). Neither has a clue about bow maintenance. I asked them to check my axels and bushings after hunting season and was told "modern compounds don't need to be checked like that and I don't think the axels are supposed to come out.".....
Reassuring huh?

Those of you with a GOOD pro-shop located near by should appreciate it.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

SORRY!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Well Ill answer the question, at the ata show the darton bows seemed well made. I have a 03 fury and love it. But the bows you mentioned seem to be versions of th maverick to me. Shoot the bows before you buy. If a pro shop wont let you try the bow before you plop down several hundred dollars then don't buy from him. Thats my opinion.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:13 PM

Joe:

Don't be "Sorry!". Your question "Since you shot the Merlin Max-Xtreme, how does the Avalanche and Typhoon compare to it?" really can't be answered anyway. What aspect of comparison should be taken into consideration?

I could only respond with technical data, since anything else would be personal speculation. Try to shoot them and then base your decision on your personal likes and dislikes. That's what's great about this country - we have so many choices.

Good luck in your search.