Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow stringers?How do they work? >

Bow stringers?How do they work?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow stringers?How do they work?

Old 01-16-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Bow stringers?How do they work?

Hay there guys, im from the UK and if you dont know archery isnt that big over here. That is why im finding it so hard to get the information I need. Im wanting to travel to bow hunt in a number of years so have bought a 40lb recurve bow to learn on. Im just wondering how to atatch the string and how is it bow stringers work? Please help people I really really want to have a go on it very soon so need to know how to set it up.

Thank you

Tomy D
Old 01-16-2004, 10:44 PM

Default RE: Bow stringers?How do they work?

Copy this post to the traditional forum, it will be answered immediately. A recurve is considered "traditional" and there are some really nice and knowledgeable guys over there.

The way I string mine is, bare with me, it's hard to describe:

My string has a big loop on one end and a small loop on the other. I fit the small loop in the grooves and then slide the big loop down the limb of the recurve. I then put one leg between the string and the bow, holding it kind of sideways. With one leg on one side of the bow I push the bow forward letting the outside of the limb press against my opposite leg and thereby creating leverage. I then push the top limb down bending it enough to slide the string with the big look up onto its groove. Its really easy, but hard to describe. I have no experience with stringers. Like I said, go the traditional forum.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

TomyD, Belle Island's stepthru method works, but it's the bow-killingest stringing method ever devised. If you get the least bit careless, that bottom limb will get twisted. Other methods are less dangerous to the bow, but highly dangerous to the shooter. A stringer is the easiest and safest method, for both the bow and yourself.

A stringer is nothing more than a long, heavy string with a large leather or nylon cup on one end and a smaller cup or friction plate on the other. You make sure the string is fully into the bow's nock on the bottom limb and slide the large cup over the limb tip -which will hold the string in the nock- and position the other end of the stringer. The friction plate will rest on the back of the limb as far up the limb as possible, the small cup will position right on the very tip of the limb. Both leave the upper limb's nock exposed. Then, stand on the body of the stringer, pull up on the bow's handle with one hand to bend the limbs. With the other hand, slide the string loop into the upper nock. Then slowly let the bow down to brace, making sure the string stays fully in the nock.

It takes far less time to do than it takes to describe it.

Come join us on the traditional forum!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:53 AM

Belle Island's stepthru method works, but it's the bow-killingest stringing method ever devised. If you get the least bit careless, that bottom limb will get twisted.
Arthur, that's nice to know!! I guess I need to buy a stringer for my stick!!!