Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 BowTech Liberty and Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter >

BowTech Liberty and Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BowTech Liberty and Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter

Old 01-12-2004, 06:05 PM

Default BowTech Liberty and Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter

Hey guys,

Tonight I went to my pro-shop to get my Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter put on my BowTech Liberty. I had heard that you needed to tie the string into the down buss cable. Jeff (the owner of my pro-shop), and I decided to try using the cable slide first. We figured that it was worth a try, and if that didn't work, we would just tie into the down buss cable.

Well, to make a long story short, the cable slide worked. We pulled the string through the cable slide until it was tight, then, we gave just a little slack, and it worked fine. When I drew back, as soon as I hit the backwall, the rest peaked.

After some slight adjustments, we went back to the range and decided to see how it was doing. Perfect arrow flight and we got it sighted in for 20 yards. I decided to quit shooting when I had 4 of my 6 arrows touching in the 1" bullseye from 20 yards. That made me pretty happy.

Now, when this weather gets a little better, I gotta get my two other pins sighted in and make some fine tuning adjustments on my sight, and I will be ready to go!!!!!!

I figured that some of you guys who are getting Liberty's and looking for drop aways might like to know this!!!!

P.S. I have decided not to get a bow quiver, I think that I am going to get a hip quiver or one of those back pack quivers. As far as stabilizers go, I am going to get a small 1" doinker for the back hole and put a Simms Stabilizer Enhancer in the front. I tried this combo out at the shop and fell in love. I willbe getting all that on Friday!!!

So, my set-up will be as follows...

2004 BowTech Liberty (29.5" draw and 71# draw weight)
28.25" Gold Tip 3-D Pro 75/95 arrows tipped with 100 grain Muzzy 3-blades
Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter
Copper John Hunter 3-pin sight
Simms Stabilizer Enhancer (front stabilizer)
1" Doinker (rear stabilizer)
Jim Fletcher Tru-Peep (1/8")
Tru-Fire X-Caliper Release

To say the least, I am tickled about this bow. It shoots better than I imagined with that TT Shakey Hunter on it!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BowTech Liberty and Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter

Sounds like things are going great. I can't wait till mine comes in.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jason,
I always say don't mess with something that is working BUT>..........
I have 2 concerns for you to think about.

1. the timing of your rest.......it is NOT designed to hit full vertical position the instant that you hit the back wall. This is the reason that the cable should be served into the downward traveling cable.......the rest should be in the full vertical position with roughly 2" of shaft yet to draw. That's a starting point.
I would worry that the way that you have it set up that the launcher is not supporting the arrow long enough to provide consistent shot to shot accuracy. Just ask Jeff what his experience was by keeping the launcher arms up a bit longer. Unexpected flyers disappeared.

2. By attaching the cord to the slide you are now putting a potential obstruction in the path of your flecthing. There is no way that the cord will spring away from the full draw position the exact same way each time.........contact would be a constant worry for me.
This is the 2nd reason why TT states right in the directions to attach at least 1" below the line of the rest. you eliminate as much contact issue as possible.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it's my opinion that the designers of the rest probably have tried everything that you just described in their quest for the best possible tune.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:35 PM

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the concern/info. As of right now though, the rest seems to be working flawlessly. I got a few dozen shots out of the bow today and I didn't have a single "flyer".

Plus, there is always extra time until season starts. I am gonna try this set-up out for awhile and see how it works. If I do notice any problems, I can always get the string servered into the down buss cable.

As of right now though, the bow is shooting perfect bullet holes from 5-15 feet through paper, grouping flawlessly, and there hasn't been any fletch contact. We putting a little foot powder on the vanes when shooting to see if the vanes where getting hit, but they weren't. We tried that out about a dozen shots!

So, I'll keep trying it like this and let yall know how it does over the long run. I might take the slack of the string so it will raise up to the full vertical position a little earlier!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:45 PM

BM,
Thanks for the info. I am still undecided what rest I am going to use and if it will be a drop away. Good luck with that set up and keep us posted as you shoot it more. Camo
Old 01-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried using the slide to raise a TT on a P40 F cam. It didn't work. The rest wouldn't come up all the way consistently, and it bound the cables.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:52 PM

Hey guys,

I just tinkered around a little bit with the rest. I tightened up the string a little bit and now it is raising to the full vertical position about 1-1/2" before the backwall is hit. There was more slack in the string than I had originally thought. Tommorow I will shoot it again to check for fletch clearance and I will also see how it performs like this.

I just took a few pics that I will upload tommorow and post on here to show you how it looks now. I took a few pics of the rest, and one pic where I held the launcher up just to show the slack left when the arrow is shot!
Old 01-13-2004, 12:08 AM

Well, I know it's not a Liberty, but I run my Shakey to the cable slide on my Pro40 Wheely, and I've had zero problems in the month or so that I've had it. My last two league nights were 300's with 56x both nights, in the bowhunter class. [][] Dead consistent with no flyers.

Rod
Old 01-13-2004, 12:33 AM

GEEEEZZ[] I've got first dibbs on HotLZ if there's a calcutta involved in a big tournament Sounds like you need to give me some shooting lessions!!![8D]
Old 01-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang good shootin there Rod...

Jason, If it becomes apparent that you have to serve the cord to the cable, run it through the cable a few inches down from where you would normally see them.

From what I'm told, to get the best performance, they work better if you serve them in straight across from the bottom of the grip.

Quick Reply: BowTech Liberty and Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.