Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Hoyt split limb technology, beneficial? >

Hoyt split limb technology, beneficial?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt split limb technology, beneficial?

Old 01-08-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Hoyt split limb technology, beneficial?

I was reading Hoyt's catalog and they state the the split limb design "provides an effective overall width of 2 1/4 inches, creating more lateral and torsional stability than a traditional 1 1/2 inch limb. This lighter, more efficient design also provides increased arrow speeds, durability, and accuracy."

I seems to me that split limbs aren't necessarily lighter. 2 limbs that are 3/4 inches wide each would weigh the same as one limb 1 1/2 inches wide and I don't see how it would make arrow speed faster. I don't see how it would improve durability or accuracy either. I do see how a wider, 2 1/4 inch, limb would provide more lateral and torsional stability than a 1 1/2 inch limb because of the wider suface area but is this necessary? I'm not bashing Hoyt here just questioning there marketing and reasoning behind split limb technology. My next bow will most likely be a Hoyt. Does split limb technology provide any real benifits to the archer or is this just marketing hype?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hoyt split limb technology, beneficial?

2 limbs that are 3/4 inches wide each would weigh the same as one limb 1 1/2 inches wide and I don't see how it would make arrow speed faster.
What the heck?!!? You some kinda troublemaker or sumthin'? Don't go applying logic to advertising! That's un-American fer cryin' out loud!! Get a grip, boy!

Well, I don't care for split limbs. But other than getting brush and twigs snagged between the limbs, I haven't had a bit of problem. The bow is plenty stable so I can't kick about that. Are the LXPro limbs on my ProTec any more stable than the solid Carbon Plus limbs on my old SuperSlam? Not that I can tell. Will they be as durable? I reckon I'll find that out if the bow is still around and shootable in another 10 years.

Frankly, I detest that buttugly truss riser too. I don't know where they get the idea it's superior at damping vibration, cuz my hand can't tell any difference over a conventional riser. But I gotta say I shoot this ProTec lights out.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Hype.

Split limbs were originally designed for one thing--more profit. In early designs, manufacturers could get three limbside out of a blank instead of one limb, therefore increasing production of limb components by 50% out of the same amount of material. BIG gain.

Then it came to be found that those first generation split limbs basically sucked because the torsional rigidity (side to side movement) in them was terrible due to the fact that you had two independant limbsides instead of one wider and more structurally sound one, and even more unfortunate was the fact that they came out about the same time as solocams did, and cam lean quickly became a huge problem when combined with no torsional stiffness. So then companies went running back to the drawing board. Amazingly some companies still utilize those thinner splits today.

So Hoyt,High Country, etc, now come with split limbs that are now much wider and thicker, and with connecting limbsavers or some other contraptions between the limbsides trying to stiffen things up. They eventually had to bring them out to over 2" to gain sufficient torsional rigidity to compete with the full limbs. Many companies who once offered the split limbs have just decided to go back to full limbs and have gone away from splits. Hoyt and High Country and a couple of others still offer them.That's it in a nutshell.

Better? Up to you to decide for yourself. Faster? I doubt it---Hoyt limbs are just as heavy as any full limb, and a 2.25" axle is heavier than a 1.5" one by quite a bit. Add the other connectors and/or split-limbsavers, and it becomes even more apparent. (Mass weight slows reaction time) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think there is anything that is beneficial to this limb design. All I can say is that I have owned three Hoyt bows, including the new Vipertec and can not complian a bit about the limbs. Its been a long time since I have heard of a Hoyt limb coming apart. I personally feel that Hoyt limb tolerances and quality are one of the best in the industry bar-none.

I'll freely admit, yes I am partial to Hoyt. But I'm also a big fan of a lot of bows I've shot and liked. Just from my experience, Hoyt seems to make a overall better quality bow, including limb than most manufacturers regardless of being split or solid. I know this will stir up some honets.

On note of the risers being ugly? Well come on, they are unique, unlike some other "popular" bows out there that start with a "B" and an "M" who seemed to have copied off one another an awful lot. And yes, the bridge design IMHO does work well. It makes sense that it does in fact stiffen the riser more than conventional designs.

There, that should get the pot a stirren!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Hoyt limbs RAWK. By far the best split limb system out there. But Kevin is right, it's basically just a money saver for most comapnies. They are more trouble than they are worth on most bows.

Hoyt however, has done it right by re-designing and refining the system over the years. the XT limbs are touted as having one of if not the lowest failure rate % in the industry. Don't know if thats true, but would not surprise me in the least..they are incredibly well built.

As for the risers..they do a real good job of shock reduction, but as they have become lighter over the years, they do not reduce recoil nearly as well as they used to. They also tend to produce a bow that rolls back a little too easy and requires more stabilizer weight out front..something you don't have to have with one of those "popular B or M" bows

Unfortunately as they have lightened them up over the years they have also become more susceptible to bow press damage. The new Tri-ax pocket (or whatever it's called) is touted as so much better for a limb pocket, but IMO it's really to curb people goofing up the risers..The U-tecs and CyberTecs were particularly susceptible to this...Coincidence that the U-tec and the model that replaced the CyberTec received this upgrade?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, thats a very good point about the Triax system they are using this year. I have heard the notorious stories of bent risers when someone who didn't know what they were doing put it in the press wrong.

On the subject of pockets, why doesn't Bowtech put a pocket system like Hoyts on their bows? By this I mean putting a bridge across the front of the limbs. Bowtech doesn't have any problems that I'm aware of with this, but an improvement like that would be great. Really, thats one of the only things that I didn't like about them design wise.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:11 PM

Or like Mathews, both Hoyt and Mathews have the best limb pockets out there! But Bowtech probably will add it sooner or later!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

As for Hoyt and their pockets,I will have to agree that they are among the best if not the best available.

As for Mathews having 1 of the best pockets,I will have to disagree on that one,sorry.I feel the v-lock pocket is nothing more than hype and from a design perspective is actually backward from what it should be to do what they claim.The design should promote the limb shifting and it should have a tendancy to want to back out of the pocket.

This is strictly my opinion and I have not tested it but really look at the design and think about it.I am not bashing but mearly an educated observation on my part.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:46 PM

Thanks guys, that was pretty much my opinion as well. It seems to be all hype and advertising. I don't doubt that Hoyt has some of the best limbs in the industry but aren't most if not all limbs made by the same company (Gordon) regardless of the bow company? I also do like Hoyts limb pockets and I like there riser design.

What's sad though is that so many archery companies are twisting the facts like a lawyer and coming up with so much B.S. and then putting it out as the gospel truth in there advertising. What ever happened to honesty?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

It seems to be all hype and advertising.
In terms of split limbs being "better" than solid limbs in general? Yes, I would agree. But I definitely would not say that they (Hoyt's limbs) are inferior to the solid limb designs on the market today. In fact, in regard to their materials and construction they may be somewhat superior in my opinion.

I don't doubt that Hoyt has some of the best limbs in the industry but aren't most if not all limbs made by the same company (Gordon) regardless of the bow company?
Yes and No. Some companies produce their own limbs in house and some companies have some of their limb styles produced in house while others are produced by Gordon glass. And, there are different grades of limbs that Gordon Glass produces so just because two bow companies have their limbs produced at Gordon Glass does not mean that they are the same quality limb.

What's sad though is that so many archery companies are twisting the facts like a lawyer and coming up with so much B.S. and then putting it out as the gospel truth in there advertising. What ever happened to honesty?
I could not agree more. What else is sad is that now you are seeing companies (and their representatives) taking cheap shots at one another, or their designs, not only in advertising but in other areas of communication as well.

Very unprofessional in my opinion

The key to figuring out most advertising..bow specs, etc... is common sense. Take everything with a grain of salt. If a company says "We have the best limbs in the industry." then ask around and see what folks have to say. Alot of time the truth arises relatively easily.

Quick Reply: Hoyt split limb technology, beneficial?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.