Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Set up question

Old 01-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Set up question

Hi Guys,
I am buying a new Hoyt Xtec, I primarily will use this bow for Hunting, But I also shoot indoor league during winter at 20 yards and plan to go to some tournament shoots with my league. My question is what is the hot set-up as far as an adjustable sight (or pins) arrow rest (with or with out fall away), to cover all basis and still allow me to shoot bowhunter class. Although Shooting indoor is a side benefit I do try and take it seriously. Last year was my 1st year and I got 3rd place in my class. I want to be as competitive as possible and still have a good hunting set-up
Currently I shoot an older Hoyt with a basic rest and copper john 4 pin sight. It never fails that I end up fumbling with my pins which means allen wrenches and guessing at the start of league shoots.
I appreciate all comments thanks.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Spike

Default RE: Set up question

Badatta2d,

Just my personal veiws...

Spott-hogg Hogit sight with the 6" sight bar 5 pins would be ideal
This sight can be retrofitted with a lens kit and made to enhance your target with greater ease also works great for indoor shooting with the lens...There sight is 1st class, I know it has taken 3 other sights to get where I'm at and absolutly love my spott-hogg,
Customer service is 1st class as well

As far as rest... trophy taker would be my 1st choise in fall aways or the GKF golden premier with a blade lancher would be a wise choice as well if you didn't want a fall-away... rather something fixed

Stabilizer is a personal preference and no one can be a better judge then you on the way your bow feels for you. No more then 12" ...though alot of Pro shops have the versatilaty of several to choose from, Go in and try them all and see which one feels right to you. AEP contact them and see what nunzio recomends for your package...I'm seeing more and more folks going AEP around here... they must be doing something right

Release is also a personal preference ,however ,there has been alot of rave reviews on the Carter 2 shot in the wrist trigger release. Carter has great customer service as well

You may notice I mentioned alot of great customer service here
If your budget will alow it try not to have to buy twice...buy once and pay alittle extra and get quaility with good-great customer help and you cant go wrong

Good luck with this new year of 3d
Old 01-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Texas that's my policy as well buy right and spend the extra.

nubo
Old 01-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for your time Texas, I have printed out your reply and will certainly check into the items you suggest. I like to buy quality also, what's the old expression."The satisfaction of buying quality products, lasts longer, then enjoyment of getting a cheap price."
Old 01-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Spike

Your welcome,

I dont know if you visit other sites but there are 2 others that have a classified

The 1st is: www.archerytalk.com

the second is: www.archery.net

the 1st is hit hard on a regular basis so if you see something you are interested and the price is in your range for that item Grab it

Good shooting and enjoy