Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Torn Fletching. What do I do ? >

Torn Fletching. What do I do ?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Torn Fletching. What do I do ?

Old 12-31-2003, 04:41 PM

Default Torn Fletching. What do I do ?

I have a problem, although it is a good problem to have. I was shooting at my Block target today and shot my second arrow almost on top of my first arrow and it tore the fletching of the first arrow. I would like to know how common this is and what I can do to fix this. Do I go to a pro shop and have them put on another fletching or is the arrow ruined. Let me know what my options are.
Thanks everyone!
Old 12-31-2003, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Torn Fletching. What do I do ?

It happens all the time. You can take it to the pro shop and they will be able to fix it for you. It is pretty cheap also. They usually charge about $1.50 an arrow. If you know any other archers many have their own fletch jigs who can fix it for you too.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:23 PM

Is it ripped off the arrow, or just torn a little? I have three arrow with holes in fletches right now. I just keep shooting them. It's amazing how accurate they can be at short yardages with a little rip or hole in the fletch.

If you plan on getting half way serious about archery it's time to spend the money on a fletching jig and do it yourself. Fletching arrows is easy and anyone can do it.

Right now I'm using an Arizona E.Z. fletch and I couldn't be happier. Quick, easy.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:02 AM

If it is torn, it is ok. If it is ripped off, like everybody else said, take it to a pro shop or get a jig. I fix my own arrows with a jig.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Before I bought a jig I used to glue new fletchings on my target arrows and hold it in place with a clothes pin. Hunting arrows were always new though.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:26 AM

Hey Turkeykiller, If your using vains you can't go wrong buying a Arizona EZ fletcher. Its by far the best jig I ever used, but as far know its not for feathers. If you take your arrows to a shop they are going to charge you about $5.00 an arrow an keep them for atleast two days. When you start shooting to where you tear the fletching off two or more arrows every time you shoot this could be very costly and time consuming. Vains bought in bulk cost only a few cents apiece and with a EZ fletcher your arrow will be ready to shoot again in 5 min. the jig will pay for its self very quickly.
warmdaze
Old 01-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree. When your shooting has reached the point where you start tearing up fletching, it's time to buy a fletching jig. Congratulations on reaching a milestone!

If it's a short tear, you can make a temporary repair by putting some tape on both sides of the rip. You could even leave it as is, but the tear could get worse... and I just hate shooting arrows that sound like a buzzbait.

Another trick you can use to prolong the life of your vanes. You can fix holes near the edge of a vane by using a pair of scissors and making a 'V' cut to take the hole out. It won't shoot like a new vane, but it'll shoot better than it would with the hole.

I recommend switching to feather fletch. They give you a faster arrow, are much more forgiving in case of accidental rest contact and I've found them to be much more durable than plastic vanes. MUCH more durable. The only thing vanes have going for them is they are waterproof. Feathers are far better in every other category.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:12 AM

Feathers more durable then vains??? I'am sorry Arther but I have to disagree. I loved shooting feathers myself but had to switch back to vains because I tore them up so bad.
warmdaze
Old 01-01-2004, 09:37 AM

I was tearing up the fletching on my arrows when shotting at short range in my garage. Santa brought me a fletching jig for Christmas and I have fletched a few arrows since. It is a piece of cake and its nice to have the flexibility to try different fletching materials and styles.

If you go the proshop route, be sure they remove all the old glue before refletching.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

No problem, warmdaze. But I believe I know why that has been the case for you.

I would imagine you simply don't know how to keep feathers in good shape. A lot of people don't, and that has been the basis of the urban legend that vanes are more durable than feathers. You see the myth on the forums all the time and, like a lot of things in archery, if it gets repeated often enough it eventually becomes 'truth.' Just like that other myth that says feathers are noisier than vanes.

Too many people needlessly throw feathers away if they get ruffled or bent out of shape. When feathers get ratty, just hold them over the spout of a steaming tea kettle - or even a pan of water at a hard rolling boil. They'll zip right back to shape, just like magic. Let 'em dry overnight and then a spritz of hairspray and they are good to go.

I've had feathers last me an entire season of field archery tournaments. Sometimes two shoots on a weekend. When I shot vanes, I was refletching at least 3-4 arrows after every tournament. I've got feather fletched arrows that are still in good condition, even if they do show some wear, and are 5 years old. There isn't a vane fletched arrow in my collection that's more than a year old... and that's only because they haven't been shot much and kept in a case.

Quick Reply: Torn Fletching. What do I do ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.