Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 COMPARING BOWTECH&MATHEWS >

COMPARING BOWTECH&MATHEWS

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

COMPARING BOWTECH&MATHEWS

Old 12-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: COMPARING BOWTECH&MATHEWS

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I know there is no way for me to type this without it sounding pro BowTech anti Mathews but I will give you my take on the differences, and let me preface this by saying that I LIKE Mathews bows, they are a high quality piece of equipment and there are plenty of models that I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers.
I choose to shoot BowTech because I like them better.........simple as that. I like Mathews bows just fine, I just find more to offer in the BowTech line-up.
The differences shooting them? Depends upon what bow you are shooting? A BowTech BKII vs a Mathews Legacy? A Mathews Q2XL vs. a Mighty Mite?
Some are smoother, some are faster, some more recoil free, some definitely quieter........the bottom line is that they are ALL quality bows!! Aren't the "Bow Wars" about the stupidest thing you ever listened to?

BowTech uses modular cam systems on all of their bows. Mathews uses A single draw length specific cam. Each offer advantages.....I'd rather play with mods than new cams though.
Speaking of cams, Mathews has pretty much backed themselves into a single cam corner with their advertising campaign. They have some very nice shooting quality bows but they are locked into one idea for life unless they wish to look foolish. How far a single cam bow can be refined? I guess they are going to try.

BowTech offers at present 4 different cam systems, from Dual to Wheel to large smooth and small fast singles. All offering different things. I had a very hard time picking a 2004 BowTech from their line-up because quite a few bows offered something very different that appealed to me, going by the Mathews line-up for 2003 I didn't see as much variety and choosing would have been very easy, between 2 maybe 3 models at most.

I've owned Mathews bows so I am qualified to say that BowTechs stock string cable offerings since 2001 have been FAR superior to the factory Mathews offerings.

Without starting a VFT /parallel limb angle war.......BowTech did have the Patriot with its significantly swept back limb angles and VFT benefits months before Mathews did in the Legacy. I think this is where the "Physical" similarities really took off.
And no NEITHER company pioneered this idea, I think we are all VERY well aware of that by now........However I think BowTech was the first to REALLY use it to its full potential.

Actually if you look closely there really isn't a whole lot of apples to apples in specs between the companies......there are some similarities now physically that's for sure with bows like the Legacy and Liberty and I imagine as well with Mathews new Outback and the Justice.

I guess for a while Mathews thing was smooth shooting with respectable speed.......BowTechs was shootability with above average speed.
I definitely think BowTech took a step in the right direction this year by trying to raise the bar of smooth shooting as I think they were missing the boat to a large degree.

Yeah at first glance they seem pretty similar, but the closer you look very quickly they become quite different.
I think this pretty much sums up my feelings as well about the bows themselves.

I would also add that BowTech unlike the vast majority of archery companies is VERY accessible to it's consumers; both dealer and end-user. Their Head Engineer reads these boards frequently and has even posted a bit. So do other execs in the company. Kevin ASKS what all of us would like to see. Everyone I've met from the company is very down to earth and friendly...no attitudes. It's not just the bows but the whole package.

Great bows backed by great folks, and they are striving to improve all the time. No resting on laurels.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, I shot them both and to me, it seems as though Mathews started the VFT craze, Bowtech took the idea and made it better, thus burying Mathews.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a legacy ,Vft Extreme and they're both very respectable bow's But my preference is Bow Tech to start they are about $100 cheaper than Mathew's
At least here in Ont they are.

nubo
Old 12-26-2003, 12:13 AM

I'm basicaly looking for points. In other words, I don't see the point in changing a brand, unless I will score better with it, more points , or bag more game. Lots of stuff about features doesn't mean anything to me. I could care less about variety. Mathews bows have stayed more the same over the years, than different, some people see that as a personal insult to their restless natures. I see it as a big advantage, the line shoots basicaly the same year after year.It does improve, but it stays within it's fundamentals

Strings are just a joke to me. It's like tying flies, there isn't anything anyone can do that someone can't copy at home. We are supposed to again believe that some small company has taken Mathews technology one step further than mathews can copy, in the absence of any patent advantage, proprietary materials, or even published technology. It's ridiculous. I had this guy offer to fix my drive years ago. I wasn't going to do it, and he pitched all this technology about putting the crack filler in at hundreds of pounds per square inch. Turned out to be a stick with a nail on the end of it. So here we have some tech for stretching strings with minimal elongation in the first place. Must be real high tech, right?

I shot a slew of Mathews for 3D over the years, currently shooting a conquest II, most accurate bow I have ever had, in terms of how I shoot it. I haven't tried a Bowtech bow, though I pull them back in the shop from time to time. I have shot tons of 2 cams also, and currently own several Hoyts. I don't see any points advantage to them, but if the single cam didn't exist, it wouldn't bother me.

I'm not interested in "playing" with a modular cam. The 30" mathews cam shoots perfect for me. Why would something to play with, get out of tune, or have screws fall out of be an advantage to me? I thought the "playing" was the shooting and hunting.

I'll admit that no dualy isn't going to make some people happy, though it is nice to know you are dealing with a company that has no choice but to make the best single they can, they can't keep playing with cam options to boost sales, and they aparently believe in their particular technology.

Again a lot of variety in cam types is in some ways a nightmare for a pro shop, but also an advanatage, you can always pitch a different format before loosing a sale. But as a buyer, Mathews already makes a cam I like. going into a situation where the salesman hasn't even shot all the permutations he offers, and couldn't possibly have made up his mind in an informed way, doesn't really do much for me. I"d rather they did the R&D in the factory, than in the pro shop.

The three things that I like the best about Mathews is the continuity, i can go in and buy a new bow, and I won't have to fiddle with it to get it shooting up to snuff. I can buy the best accessories made, and they are designed around the Mathews platform, and can be moved between any one of their models. I can get a good resale on my product even when the bow is years out of date. I'm currently selling an early Feathermax, and will probably get nearly what a paid for it, though that is in part because of how much more expensive the new bows are. Check ebay and make up your own mind.

A lot of these other issues don't put any dollars in my pocket, or points on my card.

I've read a lot of Bowtwch threads over the years here, from all the patriot threads, imediately replace with dualy threads when the dust had settled on the orginal. Most of them are so over the top that you would think that some real breakthrough was afoot. But be realistic, that just doesn't happen with every new bow. Wow they put a dual cam on a bow that was originaly designed for a single, next they will invent the mini skirt. It's hype. I don't have any reason to believe Bowtech is anything but excellent. There are lots of good bows, however.

It's like the 1911. Every year someone comes out with a "better" product, but the installed base just doesn't favour adoption. There is a ton of sophistication in those who massage the 1911. You can get lots more well though out aftermarket items or customisations.

It's sorta too bad Bowtech has taken the sizzle from Mathews, but I'm still after the steak.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:15 AM

I'm basicaly looking for points. In other words, I don't see the point in changing a brand, unless I will score better with it, more points , or bag more game. Lots of stuff about features doesn't mean anything to me. I could care less about variety. Mathews bows have stayed more the same over the years, than different, some people see that as a personal insult to their restless natures. I see it as a big advantage, the line shoots basicaly the same year after year.It does improve, but it stays within it's fundamentals

Strings are just a joke to me. It's like tying flies, there isn't anything anyone can do that someone can't copy at home. We are supposed to again believe that some small company has taken Mathews technology one step further than mathews can copy, in the absence of any patent advantage, proprietary materials, or even published technology. It's ridiculous. I had this guy offer to fix my drive years ago. I wasn't going to do it, and he pitched all this technology about putting the crack filler in at hundreds of pounds per square inch. Turned out to be a stick with a nail on the end of it. So here we have some tech for stretching strings with minimal elongation in the first place. Must be real high tech, right?

I shot a slew of Mathews for 3D over the years, currently shooting a conquest II, most accurate bow I have ever had, in terms of how I shoot it. I haven't tried a Bowtech bow, though I pull them back in the shop from time to time. I have shot tons of 2 cams also, and currently own several Hoyts. I don't see any points advantage to them, but if the single cam didn't exist, it wouldn't bother me.

I'm not interested in "playing" with a modular cam. The 30" mathews cam shoots perfect for me. Why would something to play with, get out of tune, or have screws fall out of be an advantage to me? I thought the "playing" was the shooting and hunting.

I'll admit that no dualy isn't going to make some people happy, though it is nice to know you are dealing with a company that has no choice but to make the best single they can, they can't keep playing with cam options to boost sales, and they aparently believe in their particular technology.

Again a lot of variety in cam types is in some ways a nightmare for a pro shop, but also an advanatage, you can always pitch a different format before loosing a sale. But as a buyer, Mathews already makes a cam I like. going into a situation where the salesman hasn't even shot all the permutations he offers, and couldn't possibly have made up his mind in an informed way, doesn't really do much for me. I"d rather they did the R&D in the factory, than in the pro shop.

The three things that I like the best about Mathews is the continuity, i can go in and buy a new bow, and I won't have to fiddle with it to get it shooting up to snuff. I can buy the best accessories made, and they are designed around the Mathews platform, and can be moved between any one of their models. I can get a good resale on my product even when the bow is years out of date. I'm currently selling an early Feathermax, and will probably get nearly what a paid for it, though that is in part because of how much more expensive the new bows are. Check ebay and make up your own mind.

A lot of these other issues don't put any dollars in my pocket, or points on my card.

I've read a lot of Bowtwch threads over the years here, from all the patriot threads, imediately replace with dualy threads when the dust had settled on the orginal. Most of them are so over the top that you would think that some real breakthrough was afoot. But be realistic, that just doesn't happen with every new bow. Wow they put a dual cam on a bow that was originaly designed for a single, next they will invent the mini skirt. It's hype. I don't have any reason to believe Bowtech is anything but excellent. There are lots of good bows, however.

It's like the 1911. Every year someone comes out with a "better" product, but the installed base just doesn't favour adoption. There is a ton of sophistication in those who massage the 1911. You can get lots more well though out aftermarket items or customisations.

It's sorta too bad Bowtech has taken the sizzle from Mathews, but I'm still after the steak.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

A very well-thought-out and written post, Ossage. I know a few persons will disagree on some of your observations, but kudos to the fact you were (are) willing to pen them in such a down-to-earth, cut-through-the-crap manner.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:19 PM

Different brands of bows will always offer different options for everyone. BowTech is willing to let the public in on what they are changing from year to year and it makes us all feel like we're part of their success. BowTech offers more bows all with a different "feel" than anyone else and "feel" is what will end up selling bows in the long run and providing customer satisfaction Good luck with your's !!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 12:39 PM

I can see where you are coming from on this. The basic design Mathews introduced with the MQ1 is showing up in a lot of bows on the market. I can see where someone would say they sort of look a like.

Now to answer your question I think honestly they are very different bows. I'll take 2 models as comparisons.

Mathews Q2 - Harmoni Dampers, tight limb pockets, slitghtly parallel limb design, single cam with large idler, wood grip, straight slightly reflexed riser, short ATA with 34", IBO 308.

Bowtech Liberty - no dampening in the riser, tight limb pockets pivoting design, more radical parallel limbs, single cam - modular & adjustable for letoff, Single Cam & large Idler, wood laminated grip, almost straight reflexed design, IBO 308.

What you are seeing is that Bowtech is using the parallel limb design to a much more radical level to acheive low shock at the shot while Mathews is using a more gentle parallel design with harmonic dampers to remove the rest of the shock. Both bows are great design yet they are different. The mathews cams are unique but don't allow for much adjustablility while the bowtechs does. You will also find that the bows are different weights with the mathews being a little heavier. Both companies are moving in a direction, Bowtech listens to a lot of ideas by their customers while mathews is moving in a direction they feel will yeild the best shooting bows. Hoyt & Mathews are dicatating the technology while bowtech seems to lsiten a bit more to the consumer.

I like both bows & I own both Mathews & Bowtech. I like them for very different reasons. It all boils down to what you like out of a bow and which one feels better to you. if you look at other bow companies you will see similar design traits as the Mathews & Bowtechs as well. It's just the way consumers seem to like the bows & most comapnies are giving them what they like.

I will say ossage has a great point - I like the simplicity of my mathews cams. I know on my Q2XL nothing will come loose or move while I have had screws work loose out of my Bowtech's moduals. I like the Mathews cam design & I like their bows. I feel they make a high quality product. Nothing against Bowtech but I feel a Mathews is hard to beat for quality. Like I said I like them both for different reasons but in general I like the shooting charectoristics of my Mathews better. Jsut a different feel & honestly that is what sets them apart! Thats why I am so excited about the 2004 Bowtech's they fixed a few things I really wanted to see them do & now I think those Liberties & Justice's are looking really good! That new cam & idler looks like the bomb and those 2 bows are more like the type of bow I like over my Extreme VFT (speed demon for sure but still shootable!).

Thats the best part about archery, you get a wide variety!
Old 12-26-2003, 01:16 PM

Sorry about the double post.

And again, I'm not saying anything against Bowtech, just taking some of the "benefit" issues, and saying they don't benefit me.

Users come in a variety of types, newbies, upgraders, quick flippers, and people like me who have been in it for a long time. We are all looking for something a little different. Bowtech, as a new company. is looking to build market share. So you get an intersection of bow company and user needs. The result isn't going to be for everyone.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:35 PM

Here is another thought, let's say you want to improve the gear you have. So maybe you want to change teh grip, or rest, or just fiddle with the cables. There is an old saying science cycle, "Change only one variable at a time". Amateurs want to through everything up in the air, and hope they get lucky. But the fact is you can't change everything at once, and refine your seltup. Now obviously people with a lot of skill, budget expertise can switch bow styles, it is possible. But why shortof changing sponsors would you want to (I'm a total amateur, no sponsors or archery business). So go back X years. I bought an Ultamlight, and a hoyt Enticer in the same year. The latter for targets. I really liked the Enticer, but I changed next year to an Alphatec, then moved everything into mathews. I have a similar thing happening with my Hoyt Oasis (for sale). The point here is, where is the enticer, or Oasis in the current Hoyt line? They are so many riser and cam combos down the line it isn't funny. I have no idea what would work today, I guess they still make a round wheel. If I had to cash in by Mathews Conquest II and go back to the Ultralight, or move in the other direction, there very few points in the change. The ultralight, minus parallel nock, 80% let-off, parallel limb, with a Different cam, shorter ATA, etc... etc... very similar bow. For someone of my skill it's almost a wash. Over a short course of fire, I would probably shoot much better with the CII, with a long course, the lighter UL with more perimeter stability would be pretty hard to beat. Like someone else said, it's all about feel, the feel hardly changed.

Quick Reply: COMPARING BOWTECH&MATHEWS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.