Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Shaft  weight difference? >

Shaft weight difference?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shaft weight difference?

Old 02-06-2002, 02:58 PM

Default Shaft weight difference?

Will I realy notice a difference if I practice with arrows that have a weight of 448gr and hunt with one that weigh 470gr?
Old 02-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2002, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shaft weight difference?

Arrow weight can vary a fair amount before you notice any real difference in point of impact. However, the amount of weight difference that you are talking about, leads me to believe that you are using different size arrows. Or arrows that are cut to very different length. If this is the case, you will see a difference that is not satisfactory for hunting. Remember, in hunting situations, you have factors that are hard to control, such as adreniline, weather conditions, and movement of game. When you add up all the possible problems that are out of your control, you really need to use equipment that will shoot as good as possible.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:50 AM

Sorry I should have been more specific. Bothe arrows are Beman carbon. The lighter is the Hunter and the other is the Camo Hunter plus.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, assuming they are both the same spine #, you are probably OK, but I would`nt try any fancy shooting past 30yds. Your best bet, if you can not get all the same arrows, is to try both types at longer distance, and see how they work for you. I have tried beman ICS field arrows, and ICS hunters. They are 2 grains per inch different. Shooting a 29" arrow, they are not compatible past 20 yds, but that is a 58 grain difference.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:28 AM

Not knowing all your bow data etc, I just ran a typical hunting setup through "The Archery Program" and here is what I found.

29 Draw: Medium Cam: 7" brace: 70 pounds: 445 grain arrow produced roughly 248 f/s. The same setup with the 470 grain arrow produced around 256 f/s.

Now in the pin gap.....
out to amost 50 yards it is less than .05" different! This was a 30" sight length (peep to pin) had it been shorter the pin gap would have been even less.

The reason that this is the case is because the heavier arrow although slower, will maintain more speed down range because it is just plain heavier, and air will have less effect on it.

Have fun........a very slight adjustment .05" or less is in order for shots over 50 yards.

Happy Shooting!