Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS >

Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Old 12-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Here are a few pictures of a home made broadhead target that I made. The arrow sticking in it was out of a 70 pound parker feather mag 65% letoff 31" draw. The arrow is a 32" easton xx78 2317 tipped with a 145 grain four blade muzzy. The target (shooting face) dimensions are 24" by 28" and is 16" deep. The total cost of the target was around $80 and I got everything from home depot (I bought every piece of it, I didn't have anything laying around). But when I go to replace the insulation, it will only be around $20 to replace. So I put quite a bit up front, but it should pay off in the long run. Plus a lot of people have a lot of the items laying around. Most of the pieces are self explanatory by looking at the pictures, but if anyone wants an inventory of pieces, shoot me an e-mail and I'll get it to you. I have no idea of how many shots it can withstand, but I'll be alright for a while with it.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Bob, looks excellent...

How hard is it to remove the broadheads from the target? Does removing them cause damage to the insulation, or do they just back out of the same slits/hole they previously cut?

Minus the insulation, I have 95% of that laying out in my garage. The insulation only cost you $20? How many 4'x8' sheets did you need to buy? How thick are the insulation sheets? How did you cut them?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Removal of the arrow is not too bad, but remember that I only use aluminums. Yes, pull it out the same as it goes in. I have a few carbons laying around though and I'll through a couple of them at it tonight and see how they are. The only thing that I noticed was a little residue left on the aluminum arrows. As far as damage, the target will not be self sealing, so there will be a cut left arfter every shot with a broadhead. But the insulation is compressed so it heal itself somewhat. And remember that you can further compress the target after it starts to get worn. I am getting around six inches of penetration, so when this side wears out, I'll flip it around and use the other side.

I didn't use the normal 4' by 8' sheets. I used a 4' by 50' (yes it is all one piece, but folded on the 4' side) of insulation. I cut the four foot side into 16" lengths, you'll get three sections then (stack them on top of each other) The total sheet cost around $35, but you will only need to replace the bad pieces in the target when it gets worn. I'm sure the top and bottom pieces will not get shot too many times.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:51 AM

Carbons are a PITA to pull out of this type of target. It maybe different with the way you have layered them, the one I made is the same as yours but the sheets are sitting on their ends and it is stuffed into a cardboard box.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:16 AM

Instead of the sheets of foam you could try the stuff they use to seal sill plates. It comes in rolls I believe 50 ft long & is more like the foam that the Block & the Black Hole uses.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks really nice! I could use one of those in my garage!

Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is way cool BobCo! I like it!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:12 PM

i made one just like that. carbon arrows suck the stuff melts right on the arrow pain in the butt . i going to stack another one with the beaded type of foam board to see if it works any better. you don't waste much target material shooting in the middle just replace the sheets.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:32 PM

Look around and find some high density styrofoam float logs. They use them to build floating docks. they are generally 12"X16" x 9' long. I've been using the same two for over 5 months now.

I attempted to build a butt out of the sill seal foam like the block targets. Talk about a P.I.T.A. Harder than hell to stack and after spending 3 hours buiding it my arrows went right through it like butter.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:42 PM

AKDoug-

Any idea where I could round up some of them float logs??

Quick Reply: Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.